– Bishop Mathew Hassan-Kukah said the shunning of politics by members of the Catholic Church is to blame for woes of the country
– He also attributed the deterioration of the country to the rot in the family
– The bishop said the role of religion in restructuring is much and yet it has not been tapped into it
He noted that the voting power the Catholics have is enough to have the government listen to their complaints, The Sun reports.
He said this in Lagos on Friday, December 1, during a speech on, ‘Family Value, Human Right and the Challenges of Modernization In Nigeria,’ at the 38th Supreme Council Convention of the Order of the Knights of Saint Mulumba Nigeria.
“The role of religion in restructuring is much and yet we have not tapped into it. Right from time, Catholic Church has always been helping the government to build and organise the society. The church has always offered direction for the society. If Catholics are in politics as Catholics and not using their ethnicity then they can have the Catholic vote.
“Catholic needs to head this country, even the Federal Government does not have the influence the Catholic has and that has not been put to use to change things in the country.
“The voting power the Catholics have in this country is enough to have the government listen to their complaints, but since we don’t use it, we continue to feel the pain of the thorns of the government policies,” Kukah said.
He added that the non-participation of Catholics in politics led to the killing of Christians in the northern part of Nigeria.
PAY ATTENTION: Get more videos on NAIJ.com TV
Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary of Home Affairs, Toyin Idowu Awoseni, agreed with Kukah that Christians in the country could install a Christian president in the country.
NAIJ.com earlier reported that Kukah lamented that Nigerians now behave like orphans with nobody to look up to.
According to him, the federal government must begin to pay a closer attention to the decay of vital institutions in the country.
He argued that the rot in key institutions in the country including universities, was one of the reasons the image of Nigeria collapsed before the international community. He further argued that Nigeria would remain as it is until leaders stop sacrificing merit for nepotism.
What is working well and what needs improvement in Nigeria? – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Four SARS Officers Arrested For Kidnapping & Extorting N7Million From Bishop
- PDP Chairman Shot Dead In Lagos (Photo)
- Photos From Olu Jacobs Son's White Wedding
- UNILAG Female Student Declared Missing
- Woman Loses Husband, 3 Kids & 5 Relatives In Boat Accident
- Drunk Man Ordered For 11 Plates Of Food Mistakenly
- “I Am Guilty As Charged" - Lagos Fake Medical Doctor Confesses
- APC Chairman Oshiomhole Visits R-APC Chairman At Night
- Popular Croatian President Painting Her Own House (Photos)
- LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k
- Billionaire Femi Otedola Buys Daughter 2018 Range Rover
- Open letter to governor Godwin Obaseki
- Minister Escapes Death In Fatal Accident, Driver Burnt
- Rainy Season: Top 7 Tips On Staying Safe During A Flood
- "We Don't Want To Lose Saraki, Dogara, Others" - APC ready to meet their demands
- PDP chairman rates Atiku candidacy in opposition party
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins Osun PDP Governorship Ticket
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: "They Want To Kill Me"
- PDP Engages Top SAN To Lead Battle Against APC's Fayemi
- Good Man Drowns After Rescuing Pregnant Woman
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Upsetting R-APC Defection Plan?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports
- Woman Sets House On Fire Because She Was Not Invited To A Party
- This New Pocket-sized Drone Takes Selfie To A New Level
- Story of Nigerian Billionaire Who Owns 5 Airports In The UK
- Midnight Fire Razes Hundreds Of Shops In Jos Main Market
- Saraki Rejects Buhari's Plea? Summons Loyalist On Defection
- Nursing Mother and Her Kids Arrested After Her Husband Bought A Stolen Phone
- Gowon stirs Buhari anger as he suspects unwillingness of FG, Nigerian Army, other security agencies to curb killer herdsmen, Miyetti Allah
- Lagos gets FIBA nod as 2019 World Cup qualifiers host
- Enyimba’s July return to Aba shifted
- DIAMOND GOLDEN: Okagbare Manages 8 out of 8 spots
- NFF Dispute: In search of honour for our Otunba and Distinguished Senator
- Ronaldo ‘accepts’ two-year suspended prison sentence
- FF President appoints Obasi,Martins PS ,senior communication officer
- Buhari orders Dalung to resolve NFF crisis or resign
- I didn’t sign any petition against Warri Wolves —Etebo
- Dalung convoy involved in accident in Gombe
- 19-year-old man stabs 18-year-old girlfriend to death in Edo