– Bishop Mathew Hassan-Kukah said the shunning of politics by members of the Catholic Church is to blame for woes of the country
– He also attributed the deterioration of the country to the rot in the family
– The bishop said the role of religion in restructuring is much and yet it has not been tapped into it
He noted that the voting power the Catholics have is enough to have the government listen to their complaints, The Sun reports.
He said this in Lagos on Friday, December 1, during a speech on, ‘Family Value, Human Right and the Challenges of Modernization In Nigeria,’ at the 38th Supreme Council Convention of the Order of the Knights of Saint Mulumba Nigeria.
“The role of religion in restructuring is much and yet we have not tapped into it. Right from time, Catholic Church has always been helping the government to build and organise the society. The church has always offered direction for the society. If Catholics are in politics as Catholics and not using their ethnicity then they can have the Catholic vote.
“Catholic needs to head this country, even the Federal Government does not have the influence the Catholic has and that has not been put to use to change things in the country.
“The voting power the Catholics have in this country is enough to have the government listen to their complaints, but since we don’t use it, we continue to feel the pain of the thorns of the government policies,” Kukah said.
He added that the non-participation of Catholics in politics led to the killing of Christians in the northern part of Nigeria.
PAY ATTENTION: Get more videos on NAIJ.com TV
Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary of Home Affairs, Toyin Idowu Awoseni, agreed with Kukah that Christians in the country could install a Christian president in the country.
NAIJ.com earlier reported that Kukah lamented that Nigerians now behave like orphans with nobody to look up to.
According to him, the federal government must begin to pay a closer attention to the decay of vital institutions in the country.
He argued that the rot in key institutions in the country including universities, was one of the reasons the image of Nigeria collapsed before the international community. He further argued that Nigeria would remain as it is until leaders stop sacrificing merit for nepotism.
What is working well and what needs improvement in Nigeria? – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Kirikiri prisoners enroll for PhD
- How 5 thugs beat 250 NASS guards to steal mace
- FG to criminalise abuse of local content policy
- When will our words match our actions
- Respect local content act on your Egina FPSO, IYC warns Total
- Retired SARS Boss Shoots Self Dead In His House
- S*x-For-Mark: OAU Lecturer Gets Indefinite Suspension
- Falana Reacts To Senator Omo-Agege Saga: "No Legislative House Can Suspend Member"
- Buhari’s nominee remanded in prison for alleged N182m fraud
- I'm Happy, My Twins Are Okay; says Otun Olubadan
- APC In Fresh Crisis Over Tenure Extension
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- See The Things To Consider Before Mounting Your Flat screen TV
- How Thugs Invaded Senate, Took Away Mace (DETAILS)
- Here's Senate Official Reaction To The Invasion & Stealing Of Mace
- I Can't Be Arrested, I Did Not Remove The Mace - Senator Omo-Agege
- Accident In Lagos As Truck Falls Off Berger Bridge, Lands On Two Cars
- Nigerian youth will find most uncomplimentary what Buhari says about them at Commonwealth Business Forum
- 55 Nigerians ‘stole N1, 354tr between 2006 and 2013’ — SERAP
- INEC reveals 7.9m PVCs yet to be collected
- FG orders probe of National Assembly invasion
- El Clasico transfer swap deal
- Mace Theft: Why Omo-Agege gets police VIP treatment instead of arrest
- Update on stolen Mace: Police arrest Omo-Agege over stolen Mace
- Atiku will shock Buhari in 2019, says associate
- 2019: Akiolu gives Buhari condition for Lagos votes
- Keyamo explains acceptance of Buhari’s appointment as Director of Strategic Communications
- Presidential race 2019: Dark cloud against Buhari thickens
- Deploy infrastructure in one year or lose licence , NCC threatens Infracos
- Tension in Senate as thugs following pro-Buhari senator snatch, run off with mace
- NASS orders IGP, Daura to bring back mace in 24hrs
- Lucky Boy Undergoes Surgery To Correct His Windswept Legs
- What To Do When You Are Afraid Of The Future
- Falae Visits Obasanjo, says Buhari has failed, we must come together to defeat failure
- Lagos Businesswoman, Maid, Houseboy Killed By Fire In Her House
- Lagos Court Sentenced Visa Applicant To 3 Years In Jail For Lying About Marital Status
- Boko Haram: No Amnesty For Mass Murderers
- Lecturer Suspended Over Female Student's S*x-For-Mark Allegation
- Are Nigerians Truly ‘Clamouring' For Buhari To Contest In 2019?
- Kidnappers Who Disguised As Women In Hijab Arrested By Police