- Magu said these people are shielding Maina from arrest and prosecution
- He also said that the EFCC is determined to fight corruption to a stop in Nigeria
The acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, has given reasons the commission is yet to arrest the embattled former chairman of the Presidential Task Force on Pension Reform, Abdulrahseed Maina.
Magu while speaking during a Channels Television programme on Monday, October 30, said Maina has people who are shielding him from possible arrest and prosecution.
He also said that EFCC operatives were not part of the people protecting the sacked pension boss.
Magu said: "No, it cannot be. Never! Never! He has people who are protecting him which made it difficult for us to get him arrested. You can imagine that he was promoted. It is very devastating and it is beyond my understanding.”
Magu however did not give names of those protecting Maina.
The EFCC czar confirming that Maina has fled the country said the commission is working with INTERPOL to ensure his repatriation.
He also denied claims that the seizure of Maina's property by the EFCC was reactionary to his ordeal at the ministry of interior.
“He has already been declared wanted by the INTERPOL and we are going into several countries to request their assistance particularly in Dubai, USA, and UK. We are already on a serious manhunt.”
When I came in, the matter was already in court and I was so busy pursuing other issues. You need to visit the EFCC to see the volume of work we have.”
I really don’t know what happened but I know he was properly placed on the watch list so he cannot sneak into this country without the knowledge of the law enforcement agencies. So, something is wrong somewhere and I think we need to look at that. It is just terrible and I just cannot believe it," Magu said.
Magu further said that the EFCC is fully committed to its mandate which is fighting corruption to a stop in Nigeria.
Onlinenigeria.com earlier reported that the head of service of the federation, Winifred Oyo-Ita, said she warned President Muhammadu Buhari against the reinstatement of Maina.
Oyo-Ita in a leaked memo to the president warned about the damaging implication of the recall of Maina on the Buhari's administration's mandate to fight corruption in Nigeria.
The letter was sent to the president through his chief of staff, Abba Kyari.
Latest Nigeria News
- Female Corper Flogged Mercilessly By School Principal
- Shehu Sani Dumps APC... Gives Reasons
- Five-Star Jovic makes Bundesliga history
- Real Madrid striker denies involvement in alleged kidnapping attempt in Paris
- Klopp draws Anthony Joshua comparison in criticism of Nations League
- Court rejects Russian footballers’ appeal over attack
- Ghana withdraws from CAF competitions
- See How Buhari’s Poor Performance Is Elevating Atiku
- Ekweremadu May Dump PDP?
- Woman Cries Bitterly After Being Scammed By Yahoo Boy
- Saudi Arabia admits missing journalist died in Consulate
- N8.86bn debt: Bank battles late billionaire’s family
- Tenis star Sharapova confirms romance with Prince william
- Alexis Sanchez at Man Utd is a typical Torres at Chelsea – Carragher
- Copa del’ Rey decisive fixtures
- EFCC Keeps Mum On Gov. Ganduje Bribe Video
- Atiku Meets Yoruba Leaders Over Top Political Offices
- PDP Warns INEC Against Receiving Unauthorized Names
- Confusion over Travel Ban List as Presidency, Security differ
- NAFDAC Searching For Drugs Made From Human Flesh
- EFCC stacks allegation, evidence against Fayose in court
- 900 retirees die waiting for pension
- Ooni Reveals Why He Married A Prophetess (Photos)
- Fayose Charged With Fraud By EFCC, Moved To Lagos
- Delta State University Graduate Climbs A Mast After Running Mad (Photo)
- I Don’t Know Bola Tinubu’s Position In APC – Obasanjo
- Windscreens Cracked As Hailstones Rain Down On Cars From The Sky In Abuja
- Minimum Wage: Ngge Says Labour Can't Dictate To Govt.
- Police Drags Adeleke To Court, Says "We're Not Aware Of Kemi Adeosun Forgery"
- N2.1bn Case: Face Dasuki, Not I - Dokpesi Tells Court
- Amosun Dares APC, Insists On Handing Over To His Candidate
- See Reactions To Nnamdi Kanu's Appearance In Jerusalem
- Photos Of VP Osinbajo Visiting Bayelsa Flood Victims
- Popular Actor Okon Lagos and His Beautiful Wife Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- SFU exposes bank staffers, criminals forging ATM cards
- Splinter group emerges in APC
- 2019: Buhari remembers Jonathan, tells Kannywood his surprise
- Usain Bolt, Valletta contract goes south
- Injured trio return to training for Liverpool