- Magu said these people are shielding Maina from arrest and prosecution
- He also said that the EFCC is determined to fight corruption to a stop in Nigeria
The acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, has given reasons the commission is yet to arrest the embattled former chairman of the Presidential Task Force on Pension Reform, Abdulrahseed Maina.
Magu while speaking during a Channels Television programme on Monday, October 30, said Maina has people who are shielding him from possible arrest and prosecution.
He also said that EFCC operatives were not part of the people protecting the sacked pension boss.
Magu said: "No, it cannot be. Never! Never! He has people who are protecting him which made it difficult for us to get him arrested. You can imagine that he was promoted. It is very devastating and it is beyond my understanding.”
Magu however did not give names of those protecting Maina.
The EFCC czar confirming that Maina has fled the country said the commission is working with INTERPOL to ensure his repatriation.
He also denied claims that the seizure of Maina's property by the EFCC was reactionary to his ordeal at the ministry of interior.
“He has already been declared wanted by the INTERPOL and we are going into several countries to request their assistance particularly in Dubai, USA, and UK. We are already on a serious manhunt.”
When I came in, the matter was already in court and I was so busy pursuing other issues. You need to visit the EFCC to see the volume of work we have.”
I really don’t know what happened but I know he was properly placed on the watch list so he cannot sneak into this country without the knowledge of the law enforcement agencies. So, something is wrong somewhere and I think we need to look at that. It is just terrible and I just cannot believe it," Magu said.
Magu further said that the EFCC is fully committed to its mandate which is fighting corruption to a stop in Nigeria.
Onlinenigeria.com earlier reported that the head of service of the federation, Winifred Oyo-Ita, said she warned President Muhammadu Buhari against the reinstatement of Maina.
Oyo-Ita in a leaked memo to the president warned about the damaging implication of the recall of Maina on the Buhari's administration's mandate to fight corruption in Nigeria.
The letter was sent to the president through his chief of staff, Abba Kyari.
Latest Nigeria News
- Chelsea criticize Moses over poor performance against Croatia
- Night guards shot at us as we acted a robbery scene – Micheal Kalu
- Emir Sanusi taps Moghalu as Nigeria’s next president
- Redeemers begin political campaign towards 2019
- Activist sues EFCC, Oshiomhole over corruption allegations
- Manchester United ready £60million bid for Willian
- EU retains ban on Medview aircraft
- SERAP sues Fashola over failure to account for electricity spendings
- Southern, Middle Belt Forum raises alarm over registration of foreigners by INEC for 2019 elections
- Bizarre: 25-year-old woman gives birth to 24-year-old baby
- Female Corper R*ped By 15 Armed Men... she's in critical condition
- Peaceful Elections: Rivers PDP Chairman Urges INEC, Security Agencies To Learn From Rivers Experience
- Former President's Wife Dies In Fatal Accident, Many Inured
- Marriage That You Password Your Phone & Hide It From Your Spouse Is A Fake Marriage
- Super Eagles' Winning Bonus Increased By $5,000 To Spur Them To Victory
- Father Meets His Biological Son First Time In 50 Years After DNA Test Confirmation
- Oil prices drop on US-China trade war
- N223m fraud: Senators tackle ex-SGF over innocence claim
- Tension as APC meets to ratify delegates’ list for convention
- I Left Nigeria Rich, Returned Miserable – Returnee
- Faces of men caught over attempted kidnap of female Customs Deputy Comptroller
- Lai Mohammed Says Buhari Is Transforming Nigeria
- Arrested One-Chance Robbers Hit Victim With Hammer; Say "we're surprised he died"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Prevent Leg Cramps During A Long Journey
- Female Soldier Who Escaped Attack On Her Wedding Day Dies In Fatal Accident (Photo)
- Notorious Sea Pirates Terrorizing Nigerians Finally Caught
- Lagos Landlord Slumps, Dies After Disagreement With Tenant
- Ex-PDP Chairman Makarfi battles Atiku for PDP presidential ticket
- Another Deadly Attack By Boko Haram; Over 30 Killed
- Dozens killed in fresh Boko Haram attack
- 2019: Makarfi to contest with Atiku, others for PDP presidential ticket
- Group warns of planned attacks on Agip oil facilities
- TCN gives reasons for epileptic power supply
- APC disqualifies 19 aspirants from convention
- APC in Rivers solidly behind Amaechi – Peterside
- Arrested “herdsmen” finger politicians as sponsors
- Nigerian Air Force bombs communities in Benue
- “Buhari’s govt is the most transparent”
- Happy Father's Day