Croatia forward Nikola Kalinic has been sent home from the World Cup after he refused to come on as a substitute during the 2-0 defeat of Nigeria.
The 30-year-old cannot be replaced, meaning Croatia will have to make do with only 22 players for the rest of the tournament.
AC Milan's Kalinic said he had a back injury, having complained of the same problem in the friendly loss to Brazil.
Coach Zlatko Dalic said: "I need my players fit and ready to play."
Kalinic, who played for Blackburn Rovers between 2009 and 2011 and has scored 15 goals in 41 appearances for Croatia, was starting his fourth international in a row on the bench.
"During the Nigeria encounter, Kalinic was warming up and was supposed to come on in the second half," said Dalic.
"However, he then stated that he wasn't ready to come on due to a back issue.
"The same thing happened during the Brazil friendly in England, as well as before the practice session on Sunday.
"I have calmly accepted that and since I need my players fit and ready to play, I have made this decision."
The striker spent last season on loan at Milan from Fiorentina, scoring six goals in 41 appearances, before making the move permanent this summer.
Croatia's winning start came as Oghenekaro Etebo's own goal and a Luka Modric penalty decided a poor Group D match in Kaliningrad.
They face Argentina on Thursday (19:00 BST) and finish their Group D campaign against Iceland on Tuesday 26 June (19:00 BST).
About Article Author
Francisca has over 10+ years of writing experience in press releases, feature articles, promotions, copywriting for small businesses and manufacturers in various industries. She brings a wealth of experience and is the "calmer" when these is a storm. She loves to travel and read.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Two Men Fight Over Who'll Sit At Front Seat Of A Bus In Lagos
- BREAKING: CBN Revokes Skye Bank’s License
- Yahoo Boy Weeps Profusely After Being Arrested With Others
- Offa Bank Robbery: Security guard caught raking up customers’ monies
- Belgium,France make FIFA ranking history
- CR7 set to be cleared to face Man United
- Nasarawa United Chairman hails credible, fair NFF election
- Nigeria ex-footballer,Indian wife arrested for Fraud
- WBA Champion’s title defence cancelled
- World Bank predicts waste growth in Africa
- Messi hits new personal best for Barcelona
- Barcelona player ratings against PSV from big 4-0 win
- Federer: You can’t prepare to play Nadal
- 'I Rather Die Than Be R*ped' - Pretty Lady Injured By A "R*pist"
- Okorocha's 56th Birthday Celebration (Photos)
- Pilot Sentenced To 15-Year-Jail Term For Forgery In Lagos
- Why PDP Lost In 2015 But Will Win In 2019 – Kwankwaso
- How People React To Adebayo Shittu Skipping NYSC
- Okonjo-Iweala commiseates with Nigeria over flood disaster
- 'Have We Ever Met Before'? - Buhari Asks New DG Of DSS During Meeting
- Blood Flows As Oro Worshippers and Muslims Clash In Oyo State (Graphic Photos)
- "Certificate Forgery": I Won't Resign - Buhari's Aide, Obono-Obla
- Man's Manhood 'Disappears' After Taking Money From Rich Man In Lagos (Photo)
- No Actress Dares Offer Me S*x For Movie Role - Kunle Afolayan
- Pastor Allegedly Abandons Wife In Canada, Returns To Nigeria To Marry Lady He Called His Sister
- Dollar slumps amidst monetary tightening plans
- Trade war: Trump’s strong-arm tactics with China slipping
- Local airline operators lament loses over failed national carrier
- Woman Cries After She Was Battered By Soldiers In Lagos
- NYSC Member Urinates On Self After Collapsing In Lagos (Pics)
- Another senior minister in NYSC scandal
- Nigeria’s total debt rises to N22.38 trillion
- Saraki is dangerous, desperate, says Presidency
- See African Country Where Father Is President & His Son Is The Vice President
- Saraki Received By Crowd As He Arrives Port Harcourt (Photos)
- New Kano State Deputy Governor Resumes Office
- Jesus Practiced Hospitality (Without a "House") and Generosity (Without a "Salary")
- Pinnick NFF Re-election: Okowa hails, Uduaghan talks foresight
- "Why I Left APC" - Dogara Speaks At PDP Headquarters
- Buhari Meets New DSS Boss, Controversy Over Appointment