Croatia forward Nikola Kalinic has been sent home from the World Cup after he refused to come on as a substitute during the 2-0 defeat of Nigeria.
The 30-year-old cannot be replaced, meaning Croatia will have to make do with only 22 players for the rest of the tournament.
AC Milan's Kalinic said he had a back injury, having complained of the same problem in the friendly loss to Brazil.
Coach Zlatko Dalic said: "I need my players fit and ready to play."
Kalinic, who played for Blackburn Rovers between 2009 and 2011 and has scored 15 goals in 41 appearances for Croatia, was starting his fourth international in a row on the bench.
"During the Nigeria encounter, Kalinic was warming up and was supposed to come on in the second half," said Dalic.
"However, he then stated that he wasn't ready to come on due to a back issue.
"The same thing happened during the Brazil friendly in England, as well as before the practice session on Sunday.
"I have calmly accepted that and since I need my players fit and ready to play, I have made this decision."
The striker spent last season on loan at Milan from Fiorentina, scoring six goals in 41 appearances, before making the move permanent this summer.
Croatia's winning start came as Oghenekaro Etebo's own goal and a Luka Modric penalty decided a poor Group D match in Kaliningrad.
They face Argentina on Thursday (19:00 BST) and finish their Group D campaign against Iceland on Tuesday 26 June (19:00 BST).
About Article Author
Francisca has over 10+ years of writing experience in press releases, feature articles, promotions, copywriting for small businesses and manufacturers in various industries. She brings a wealth of experience and is the "calmer" when these is a storm. She loves to travel and read.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Father burns 8-year-old daughter’s hands because she steals
- Nigerian community hosts Flying Eagles delegation in Mauritania
- Heartland Fc concludes invitational tournament
- 62 teams jostle for Ogunjobi Cup
- Ekiti election: Tinubu praises Fayose, Olusola
- Oshiomhole reacts to Ortom’s exit
- NNPC Partners FRSC on action plan for haulage operators
- Man, 29, in sexual affairs with 11-yr-old, claims she charmed him
- NFF asks Shehu Dikko to step aside as LMC Chairman
- “How Ministers Knelt Before Abacha In Fear” - Donald Duke
- Commissioner Of Police Injured In The Head By Angry Nigerians, Rushed To Hospital
- How Deadly Flood Killed 44, Destroy 500 Houses In Katsina
- 4th Prince Kazeem Eletu Ramadan Football Competition Finals Holds Sunday
- Beautiful Lady Accused Of Snatching Friend's Husband Dies
- Final Year Student Falls Inside Well, Dies During Chase By SARS
- This Lady Survived Cancer Against All Odds (Photos)
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad
- Oshiomhole Reacts To Killings, Gov. Ortom's Exit From APC
- 'Killer' Of Ex-Deputy Governor's Daughter Remanded In Prison
- Fayose Replies Presidency: "Buhari Should Bury His Head In Shame"
- Female Student Deceived, R*ped By Alfa In Lagos
- Ekiti Election: INEC Dares PDP To Go To Court
- Presidency Says Buhari Has Done A Lot About Killings (Details)
- Gang Members Arrested For Robbing Women
- Policemen Extort N100,000 From Building Contractor, Threaten To Kill Him (Evidence)
- Ex-NSA Dasuki Perfects His Bail Conditions, To Regain Freedom
- Kano fire service saves 669 lives, N2.2 bn goods
- Benue governor, Ortom finally quits APC
- Cybercrime: Benin Republic sentences Nigerian students to jail
- Crisis rock Osun APC as party suspends chairman, secretary
- “Why we appointed Ali Modu Sheriff as Buhari campaign manager”
- APC tackles Saraki as another coalition linked to him
- Governor Ortom Dumps APC
- Photos Of Ronaldo Undergoing Medical As He Moves To Juventus
- See Damages Caused By Heavy Rain In Katsina, 25 Killed
- Why ICC invites only Buhari of all world leaders
- Dogara aide dumps APC
- $680m: Oando boss, Tinubu in another messy court case
- Protesters hold bank to ransom in Lagos