Burundi has withdrawn its membership of the International Criminal Court (ICC), a year after it notified the global judicial institution of its intention.
With the notification, Burundi becomes the first country to leave the ICC.
The East African country had accused the ICC of deliberately targeting Africans for prosecution.
In September, the UN Commission of Inquiry into Burundi accused the government of committing crimes against humanity, including executions and torture, and urged the ICC to open a prosecution as soon as possible.
Fadi El-Abdallah, the spokesman for the ICC, told the BBC Newsday programme that the withdrawal would not affect the court’s ongoing investigations in the country.
“Article 127 states that withdrawal does not affect the jurisdiction of the ICC over the crimes that have been committed while the state was a state party,” he said.
The court has 122 member countries, 34 are African, the largest continental bloc.
In 2015, Burundi was plunged into its worst crisis since the end of a civil war in 2005, when President Pierre Nkurunziza’s push for a third term in office sparked protests by opposition supporters who said the move was unconstitutional.
The South African government which had intended to withdraw from ICC revoked its intended withdrawal.
The decision came weeks after the Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg ruled that the country’s move was unconstitutional and invalid,
The country’s Gauteng High Court ruled that only Parliament has the power to approve the withdrawal, and not President Jacob Zuma and his cabinet.
“In order to adhere to the said judgment‚ I hereby revoke the Instrument of Withdrawal from the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court with immediate effect‚” a document deposited to the United Nations by South African International Relations and Cooperation Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane said.
Government sources on Thursday said Justice Minister Michael Masutha is set to appear in parliament at an undisclosed date to discuss the High Court ruling that found that the withdrawal was unconstitutional and invalid.
In February, the court ordered President Jacob Zuma‚ Nkoana-Mashabane and Masutha to revoke the notice of withdrawal.
This was after the main opposition Democratic Alliance approached the court last year to challenge Pretoria’s decision to withdraw from the ICC by notifying the UN of its intention to revoke its ratification of the Rome Statute‚ which established the ICC.
On 21 October 2016, Masutha had announced that South Africa had initiated the process of withdrawing from the ICC.
The decision followed several court judgments that the state violated the law by not arresting war crimes-suspect and Sudanese President, Omar al-Bashir‚ who has been indicted by the ICC‚ during his African Union summit visit to South Africa in June 2015.
Latest Nigeria News
- Fayose mocks Obasanjo over power plant scandal
- Gunmen abduct 44 passengers along highway
- Editor’s end-of-season La Liga awards
- Transfer gossip: Emery chase, Martial decision
- Loanees who could feature for PL clubs next season
- Transfer guide for EPL Clubs
- Lukaku in trouble
- Liverpool: Underdogs but not outclassed
- Don’t grant incentives to tobacco firms, Govt-led group urges Nigeria
- $16bn IPP fund: I’m ready for probe, but first learn how to read, Obasanjo tells Buhari
- $16bn power projects: SERAP demands Buhari to refer OBJ, Jonathan to EFCC, ICPC
- Average fuel price drops to N151.4
- For the worthy ‘rebel’ & the good teacher
- Pellegrini: Back to EPL for good?
- Justice Abang orders falling Metuh to continue trial tomorrow
- Quality Education, our priority – NAOWA President
- IG’s ‘Transmission’ & other treacherous tale
- Nigerian Female Referee Saves Footballer From Death During Match
- Jerusalem: CAN commends Trump, asks Nigeria, others to do same
- Abacha performed better than Obasanjo – Buhari
- Lagos Spare Parts Dealer Arrested For Killing Lover
- Tears As Murdered Priests, Parishioners Are Buried In Benue
- Only lazy Nigerians are hungry under Buhari, says Customs Boss
- Abuja Lady Murdered After Sacking Her Guard & Driver
- Faces Of Traffic And Phone Robbers Arrested In Lagos
- Lucky Boy All Smiles After Undergoing Surgery To Correct His Bent Ankle (Photos)
- Two Robbers Caught Trying To Rob A Car With Toy Gun In Lagos
- Buhari Says Obasanjo Wasted $16b On Power Projects
- Obasanjo Replies Buhari: You Are Ignorant
- Olisah Metuh Fell Down On His Own, says Judge
- Man murders lover, bags her rotten remains for waste collectots
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Cholera outbreak claims lives in Nigeria
- Power Projects: Obasanjo fires back at Buhari
- Flying Eagles ready for final
- Okpotu stop enterprising Rangers for a Lobi’double
- Club attitudes causing tension in NWFL
- Coaches disappointed at NLO2 kickoff delay
- Nadal to Meet Djokovic in Rome
- Arsenal and Super Eagle forward Iwobi seals 3-year LG deal