The state government also lamented that no fewer than 24.2 per cent of women in the state have their first sex as adolescents
The Commissioner for Health in the State, Dr Jide Idris, made the disclosure on Thursday while delivering a lecture at the Inspiration FM’s (92.3) Inaugural Lecture and Award Ceremony on Victoria Island.
The Commissioner spoke on “Reproductive Health: Beyond Cultural Limitations and Concerns,” where he noted that the statistics were based on the report of the National Demographic and Health Survey and the Multi-Indicator Cluster Survey.
He said, “Nationally, the figures are about 51 per cent. This implies that in Lagos, one out of every four women would have been exposed to sex before 18 years, while the national average for Nigeria is one out of two women.
“With an average age of first birth at 20 years, about 22.5 per cent of pregnancies are by teenagers in Nigeria. More worrying, however, is that reports show that as of this year, about 40 per cent of women in the South-West have experienced physical violence since age 15. Sexual violence cannot be excluded from the statistics.
“In other words, in a nation where more than 60 per cent of its population are young people and significant numbers of these young people are exposed to sexual intercourse at an early age, either voluntarily or violently, a lot of problems emerge. Such problems are associated with sexually-transmitted infections, childhood pregnancy, trauma and its accompanying physical and mental health implications.
“This means that there must be access to knowledge about sexual health and systems that modify behaviour, as well as, access to services that prevent and manage them.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Italy in the maelstrom of the euro
- Canada legalises Marijuana
- IITA floats five-year plan to raise Nigeria’s cocoa productivity
- House of Rep downsizes Ministerial Cabinet
- NPA has no hand in delay of cargo clearance, says NPA boss
- Nigerian Army to battle cyber-attack-Chief of Army Staff
- Saraki & Akpabio Clash: Senate In Rowdy Session
- Fayose Dares EFCC: If You Have Any Case Let's Go To Court
- Only 8 Parties Have Submitted Lists of Candidates, says INEC
- Single Men and Ladies Already Registering For Olu Famous Rescue-Mission (OFR)
- Long wait for business as TSTV dealers demands for refunds
- Fuel subsidy: Senate launches fresh investigation
- N4.7bn fraud: Fayose has a case to answer, says EFCC
- Nigerian Actor Blossom's Wife Suffers Serious Burns After She Poured Hot Water On Her Body (Photos)
- Throwback Photo Of Patience Ozokwor As A Teenage Girl
- Lagos Landlord Arrested For Defiling Tenant's 5 Sons (Photo)
- Bus Recovered After Plunging Into River; Passengers Missing, Some Rescued Unconscious
- Why We Complained About Peter Obi As Atiku's Vice President
- Jobless Man Nabbed For Allegedly Killing Brother Over Mother's Property
- Nude Bath Video of Osun Lawmaker: Update From The Court
- Woman Steals Her Family Friend's Children... she's on the run
- We won’t accept less than N30,000 minimum wage - Labour
- Politician Accuses Policeman Of Shooting, Breaking His Leg
- APC & Police Colluding To Scuttle My Election Petition – Senator Adeleke
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Warri-Itakpe-Ajaokuta Rail Line Completed...
- Lady Reveals How Nigerian Pastor S*xually Assaulted Her In South Africa (Photos)
- Fayose Told By EFCC Officers To Return N1.3Billion & Go Home
- Governor Ganduje Asked To Resign Over Video Of $5m Bribe
- Adeleke Files Petition, Asks Tribunal To Declare Him Governor
- Single Mum Arrested Over N3.8m... she says it’s for her upkeep
- PDP, Obasanjo-backed ADC, SDP, Others Meet On Atiku As 2019 Consensus Candidate
- Buhari Calls Hauwa Liman's Father: We Tried To Save Her
- Governor Amosun: I Won’t Dump APC Because Of Buhari
- Bus Plunges Into Bridge... Driver, Passengers Missing (Photos)
- Nigerian Governor's S*x Tape To Be Leaked
- Court Stops INEC from Disqualifying Zamfara APC Candidates
- Buhari is history – Agbakoba
- CCGG calls out FG over Leah sharibu abduction
- Buhari losing war against Boko Haram