The state government also lamented that no fewer than 24.2 per cent of women in the state have their first sex as adolescents
The Commissioner for Health in the State, Dr Jide Idris, made the disclosure on Thursday while delivering a lecture at the Inspiration FM’s (92.3) Inaugural Lecture and Award Ceremony on Victoria Island.
The Commissioner spoke on “Reproductive Health: Beyond Cultural Limitations and Concerns,” where he noted that the statistics were based on the report of the National Demographic and Health Survey and the Multi-Indicator Cluster Survey.
He said, “Nationally, the figures are about 51 per cent. This implies that in Lagos, one out of every four women would have been exposed to sex before 18 years, while the national average for Nigeria is one out of two women.
“With an average age of first birth at 20 years, about 22.5 per cent of pregnancies are by teenagers in Nigeria. More worrying, however, is that reports show that as of this year, about 40 per cent of women in the South-West have experienced physical violence since age 15. Sexual violence cannot be excluded from the statistics.
“In other words, in a nation where more than 60 per cent of its population are young people and significant numbers of these young people are exposed to sexual intercourse at an early age, either voluntarily or violently, a lot of problems emerge. Such problems are associated with sexually-transmitted infections, childhood pregnancy, trauma and its accompanying physical and mental health implications.
“This means that there must be access to knowledge about sexual health and systems that modify behaviour, as well as, access to services that prevent and manage them.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Higuain to be among Prem’s top earners
- Man City prepare bid for Rudy, West Ham to continue talks over Maxi Gomez
- Hudson-Odoi to reject £85,000 a week Chelsea deal to move to Bayern
- Barca target De Jong to decide future this week
- Mbappe, Bernardo to Madrid
- Giroud talks about Chelsea switch
- Arsenal fight Monaco over Gelson
- Puel to decide Silva switch, Godin set for inter
- N’Koudou heads to Besiktas
- Madrid eyes youngster Florin
- Obasanjo blasts Buhari again in new letter (full text)
- Jimoh ready to fight whoever says his mother burnt to death
- Tsitsipas knocks out Federer
- 25 Things Obasanjo Said About Buhari, Amina Zakari, Osinbajo
- Mourinho Has turned down three job offers already
- Manny Pacquiao sets up Mayweather rematch
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari: Nigeria Is Back To Abacha Era
- Man dies days after setting himself ablaze because of runaway wife
- Why I missed presidential debate – Buhari
- Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother burnt to death
- Experts chart focus for cyber security in 2019
- CJN Onnoghen Faces Big Challenge As FG Expands Probe
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Retired Generals Conspiring Against Buhari
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Pics Of Nigerian Captain & Pretty Fiancée
- Senior Lawyers To Tackle FG Over Action On CJN Onnoghen
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out