The state government also lamented that no fewer than 24.2 per cent of women in the state have their first sex as adolescents
The Commissioner for Health in the State, Dr Jide Idris, made the disclosure on Thursday while delivering a lecture at the Inspiration FM’s (92.3) Inaugural Lecture and Award Ceremony on Victoria Island.
The Commissioner spoke on “Reproductive Health: Beyond Cultural Limitations and Concerns,” where he noted that the statistics were based on the report of the National Demographic and Health Survey and the Multi-Indicator Cluster Survey.
He said, “Nationally, the figures are about 51 per cent. This implies that in Lagos, one out of every four women would have been exposed to sex before 18 years, while the national average for Nigeria is one out of two women.
“With an average age of first birth at 20 years, about 22.5 per cent of pregnancies are by teenagers in Nigeria. More worrying, however, is that reports show that as of this year, about 40 per cent of women in the South-West have experienced physical violence since age 15. Sexual violence cannot be excluded from the statistics.
“In other words, in a nation where more than 60 per cent of its population are young people and significant numbers of these young people are exposed to sexual intercourse at an early age, either voluntarily or violently, a lot of problems emerge. Such problems are associated with sexually-transmitted infections, childhood pregnancy, trauma and its accompanying physical and mental health implications.
“This means that there must be access to knowledge about sexual health and systems that modify behaviour, as well as, access to services that prevent and manage them.”
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP governor differs with colleagues, party on Fayemi victory
- Lawmaker arrested for arming suspects with pump-action guns
- Flying Eagles return, set to conquer ‘tough’ Mauritanians
- Croatia coach attributes success in Russia to holy rosary
- Onyekuru completes Galatasaray loan switch
- There is crisis in NFF —Dalung
- Delta Stars take on Go-Round in Mid-season Club Friendly
- NBBF calls 28 players for World cup Camp in Atlanta
- Anbode rescues stranded Nigerians in Russia
- Why the nose dive of Nigeria players playing big time Football
- “FIFA won’t invoke its Statutes in Nigeria if there was no interference”
- Ekiti: Atiku cautions PDP, Fayose supporters
- President Buhari Reacts To Fayemi's Victory In Ekiti Election
- SCARY! Gunmen Ambush & Kill Policemen At A Checkpoint In Edo, Set Them On Fire
- VP Osinbajo Celebrates His Wife With Sweet Words
- Woman Robbed & Killed While Going Home At Night (Photos)
- Ekiti Governor-Elect Fayemi Reacts, Makes New Promises
- "We Were Chained Together & Covered With Tarpaulin For 10 Days" - Kidnapped Reverend Sisters
- Breaking: Chris Okotie seeks APC, PDP mandate to lead Nigeria
- Footballer Obafemi Martins Shows Off His New House n Lagos
- PDP Rejects Ekiti Election Outcome, Says Results Were Concocted By APC And INEC
- NYSC fake certificate scandal: Buhari denies holding meeting with Bakare, Adeosun
- Political torments in Ekiti: NBC shuts Ekiti Broadcasting Service indefinitely
- Ekiti: Fayemi wins as PDP calls for annulment
- Ekiti: Unbelievable but true, story behind election result
- Boy With Windswept Legs Overjoyed After Undergoing Surgery To Correct Deformity
- Flood Destroys Property In Ogun State, Over 10 Persons Killed
- INEC Declares APC's Kayode Fayemi Winner Of Ekiti Election
- Lagos House of Assembly Member Arrested Over Guns Found With 'Criminals'
- Notorious Kidnappers Arrested During Ransom In Delta
- Update on Adeosun’s fake certificate scandal: Controversial certificate not issued by NYSC – former DG
- 5 Key Considerations For Purchasing A New Smartphone
- Dino Melaye Thanks Goodluck Jonathan For Completing 85% Of Abuja Light Rail
- Loaded Car Plunges Into River After Somersaulting 3 Times
- Ekiti Election: APC Candidate Fayemi Wins (Full Details)
- Boyfriend Used Charms On My Daughter – Ex-Ondo Deputy Gov
- Ekiti TV, Radio Shut By NBC After Fayose Announced Results
- Obasanjo Agrees To Lead Coalition To Defeat Buhari In 2019
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Men Caught Sharing Money To Voters In Ekiti, Bundled Away By Security (Photo)