The Senate on Tuesday mandated four of its standing committees to investigate the management and utilization of the $1.2billion loan facility obtained from 13 Nigerian banks by the Etisalat Nigeria, now 9moblie.
This was followed by a motion by Senator Solomon Olamilekan (APC Lagos) on the urgent need for the senate to wade into the Etisalat debt crisis.
The four committees are Banking, Communications, Capital Market and National Security and Intelligence.
The Senate also asked the joint committee to make recommendations on ways the Nigeria financial governance structure can be strengthened by legislations to prevent any future similar occurrence.
It also further called on the relevant financial intelligence agencies of the Federal Government to probe the management of Etisalat Nigeria and hold the defaulting parties accountable for their actions.
Olamilekan in his motion noted that Etisalat ownership comprises of three shareholders, the United Arab Emirates Sovereign Wealth Fund through Mubadala Development Comp Abu Dhabi (45%), Emirates Telecommunications Group Company (40%) and Myacinth (15%) through Emerging Markets Telecommunications Services.
In his remark, the Senate president, Bukola Saraki tasked the committees to do a thorough work and report back to plenary as soon as possible.
Latest Nigeria News
- Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Closed As Tanker Falls, Spills Content
- JUST IN: Omisore Tells His Supporters Who To Vote Tomorrow
- Woman Finds Daughter Alive 6 Years After Being Told She Died In A House Fire (Photos)
- Buhari calls for global action against corruption
- Men divided at Man United: How Mourinho falls to Lampard after fallout with Pogba
- How Ras Kimono’s wife died
- England U20 World Cup Sensation ready to join Super Eagles
- How Linda Ikeji joins growing list of Babymamas
- Uncovering Rukky Sanda’s private hustle
- Why MPC retained interest rate at 14% –CBN
- Genevieve Nnaji’s guy is super proud of his girl
- We do Church jokes because we are church boys – Okey Bakassi
- Nollywood Actress Seen Carrying Big Coffin On Her Head (Pics)
- JSS 2 Student Who Is An Armed Robber Nabbed With Pistol
- N2.5bn fraud: Aisha Buhari reacts
- Osun rerun: Omisore ignores PDP, settles for APC
- Osun Rerun: Oshiomhole, Lai, Ganduje finally seal deal with Omisore
- Lady Gets Yam, Beans, Pawpaw As Best Creative Advert Student
- Why PDP's Adeleke Is Leading Our Candidate In Osun Election - APC Chieftain
- Policemen Used For Osun Election Involved In Fatal Accident
- Osun tie: Matters arising
- Customs generates N852m revenue in 1month
- Minimum wage: ULC threatens nationwide strike,pitch workers against insensitive politicians
- Pressure mounts on UN to fire Obasanjo
- Aisha Buhari orders arrest of her ADC over 2.5billion fraud
- NCC not interested in social media gagging bill, says Ojobo
- Lekan Shonde's Wife "Died Of Brain Injuries"
- Osun Rerun: Omisore, Lasun Agree To Help APC Fight PDP?
- Applicant Dies During FRSC Recruitment In Kogi
- Why INEC Must Declare Collected PVCs For Osun Rerun
- Nigerian Ladies Caught On CCTV Stealing From A Store
- Fear Of Dancing Senator: Oshiomhole, 5 APC Governors Run To Omisore Again
- Woman, Male Friend Nabbed for Using Drone to Monitor Osoba's House (Photos)
- Adeleke Family's Statement On "Rejecting Help" From Omisore
- Tips To Network Better With People For More Opportunities
- Buhari Sends Fayemi From US To "Beg" Omisore For Osun Rerun
- Akpabio Secures APC Nomination As Consensus Candidate
- Minimum Wage: NLC Directs Workers To Begin Strike Tomorrow
- Why My ADC Was Arrested – Aisha Buhari