- This is coming after the ultimatum issued to the group by the Benue state governor
- The Herdsmen lamented that buying lands for ranches is not as easy as the government believe
The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) Benue chapter, says its members are ready to leave the Benue valley as the November 1 deadline for the implementation of the state’s Anti-Open Grazing Law draws nearer.
The chairman of the association, Garus Gololo, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday in Makurdi that since the government made no provision to accommodate their cattle and was insistent on the implementation of the law, they had no option than to leave the state.
“This law is confusing, for instance, they have said they are not chasing out the Fulani’s from the state but they have made no provision for our cattle, the cattle markets and even other cattle.
“They have told us to buy land for ranches, but the question is from who; you know that the process of getting land from the government is tedious, yet they are insisting that we must buy land for ranches.
“When you buy the land, you need the Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) to qualify for ownership, how can we get all this within the time frame given by the government?” Mr. Gololo asked
He said although the government had repeatedly explained that the law was not against the Fulani herdsmen, the requirements of the law were stringent and could not be met by the herdsmen within the time frame set by the government.
He said all entreaties to the government for extension of the time frame failed as Governor Samuel Ortom insisted there was no going back on the November 1 dateline for the implementation of the law.
Ortom had in May 2017 signed into law the Anti Open Grazing Law which seeks to prohibit open rearing and grazing of livestock and provides for the establishment of ranches and livestock administration in the state.
Although the law was signed in May, its implementation was extended to November 1, 2017 to give cattle breeders and other livestock owners time to build ranches.
The law seeks to end the perennial land skirmishes between farmers and herdsmen in the state.
NAN reports that dozens of people had died in clashes between herdsmen and farmers in the state with farmlands and crops amounting to millions of Naira being destroyed.
Reacting to the claims by Gololo, Benue commissioner for information and orientation, Lawrence Onoja Jr., said enough time was given for land acquisition and the building of ranches.
He said the recent decision of the government to unbundle the procedure for land acquisition and reduce the cost of Certificate of Occupancy (CofO) was to facilitate the process of land acquisition.
He explained that the law was not against any particular people but was aimed at livestock protection, stating that it also applied to indigenes of the state who had cattle and other livestock.
He said those who were unable to meet the requirement were free to leave the state.
Onoja Jr, explained that necessary structures for its implementation had been put in place and assured that no stone would be left unturned in its implementation.
He said if the herdsmen had issues with land acquisition they would have brought it to the attention of the government.
The commissioner further referred NAN to the chairman, Implementation Committee of the Anti-Open Grazing Law, Edwin Jando, for more clarification.
However, efforts to speak with Jando, a retired colonel, failed as he did not pick his calls or reply text messages sent to his phone.
Meanwhile, another leader of MACBAN, Muhammad Kirowa, has stated that herdsmen also contribute to the growth of nation’s economy through cattle rearing.
Kirowa states that over 250 trucks loaded with cattle on daily basis move to south-western part of the country with 6,000 cows transported to Lagos alone for consumption.
Recall that Onlinenigeria.com previously reported that Governor Ortom on Sunday, October 22, restated his demand for the arrest of officials of Miyetti Allah Kautal over an alleged inciting statement capable of disrupting peace in the state.
Ortom said the latest statements credited to the leaders of the herders group in national dailies and other media platforms was an open declaration of war on the people of Benue.
Latest Nigeria News
- Customs intercepts one million bags of toxic rice
- Demolition of Ayefele’s Fresh FM: SERAP chides Gov Ajimobi of executive rascality
- Saraki wants to sabotage 2019 general elections, says Shehu
- 3 Ladies Found Dead In Abuja Hotel Room, Body Parts Removed (Graphic Photos)
- Here's The Housegirl Who Killed Her Madam In Edo
- Senator Adeleke's Certificate Saga: Matters Arising
- Kwankwaso Not Welcome In Kano - Governor Ganduje
- Security Man Steals N2m From School Account
- Nursing Mother, Baby Drown As Lagos Officials Chase Residents
- Nigeria Yet To Recover From Economic Recession – NBS Boss
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 5 Ways To Know If You Are Dehydrated
- NUJ Reacts To Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele's Radio House
- PDP Writes Saraki To Declare Akpabio's Seat Vacant
- Politician Attacked By Thugs, Left With Broken Head (Photos)
- Saraki, Tambuwal Are Scared Of President Buhari - Tinubu
- Wife Stabs Husband To Death Over 'Another Woman' In Delta
- Saraki Fires Back: Buhari Presidency Lacks Foresight, Too Slow
- Outrage Over Demolition Of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio Station
- Presidency Replies Saraki
- Why Jonathan Was A Better President Than Buhari - Dino Melaye
- Lagos To Shut Down Third Mainland Bridge This Week (Details)
- Giwa didn’t win any election— Jones-Ere
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd manager says Man City ‘cannot buy class’
- Lionel Messi’s brother sentenced for possessing illegal firearm.
- D’Tigress bury hatchet; focus on World Cup preparation
- Lawmaker calls for NASS budget probe under Saraki
- Doctor convicted of sexual assault of patient gets probation
- Defection: Tambuwal govt in disarray as oath taking scatters administration
- Nigerian top runner hails Lagos Media Marathon
- EFCC opens fresh probe of Saraki
- 2019: PDP at crossroads
- Nigeria envoy wants citizens banned from Saudi Arabia
- Nigeria’s economy still struggling, says expert
- House deputy Speaker fumes, states position on defection from APC
- Yinka Ayefele’s FM Continues Broadcasting Despite Demolition
- See How A Female Soldier Brutalize Her Househelp In Lagos
- FIFA Ban : Who can save Nigeria from herself ?
- Oyo state government demolishes Yinka Ayefele’s radio station
- FCMB staff abscond with N500m customers’ deposits