Maina is currently a suspect in an alleged N2 billion scam and his recall to office is being seen by many as a stain on the Buhari's administration and the president's integrity.
In this opinion, Nigerian lawyer, Jiti Ogunye, explains why the dismissal of Maina by President Buhari might not be legal after all.
While we commend President Muhammadu Buhari for dousing the anger in the land which emanated from the surreptitious and scandalous recall, absorption and promotion of Abdulrasheed Maina as a director in the ministry of interior, we are compelled to ask the critical question whether the president can lawfully direct the dismissal or termination of the employment of a civil servant in the public service of the federation, without following the due process of law.
The facts that we know are that both the office of the head of service and Dambazzau's ministry of the interior have publicly issued statements that Maina was recalled and posted to the ministry of interior. So, we must assume that while Nigerians were totally unaware, Maina was brought back into this country and reintegrated in the public service of the federation. Thus, Maina, before the president's directive "was in the civil service of the federation"
Under the law ( Public Service Rules and Section 11 (1)(b)of the Interpretation Act, Cap I 23, Vol.8, LFN, 2004,), it is the Federal Civil Service Commission or the permanent secretary or heads of extra ministerial department as the case may be ( to whom disciplinary powers are delegated) that have the statutory power to mete disciplinary actions, including dismissal (or sack) to civil servants. In particular, Rule 04102 of the Public Service Rules provides that "the power to dismiss and to exercise disciplinary control over officers in the Federal Civil Service Commission is vested in the FCSC. This power may be delegated to any member of the commission or any officer in the Federal Civil Service "
Legally, therefore, the president lacks the power to sack or direct the sack of Maina.
But the president has the power to sack his AGF , the minister of the interior and any political appointee including his Chief of Staff who are reported to have masterminded and orchestrated the Maina fiasco. So, the president has left those he could sack and has gone for the head of the one he could not lawfully sack.
It appears to be forlon hope that the president will move soon against the members of his kitchen cabinet who are hatching one plot of dent for him after another.
But I can hear people shout for joy. "Thank goodness that the President has acted; what is rule of law and due process anyway? What was necessary was for Maina, the weapon of integrity destruction ( WID) to be defused".
As we say, borrowing from the Nigerian parlance, "end of story". Nigeria is an interesting country. Very interesting.
The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Onlinenigeria.com.
Your own opinion articles are welcome at email@example.com— drop an email telling us what you want to write about and why. More details in Onlinenigeria.com’s step-by-step guide for guest contributors.
We’re ready to trade your news for our money: submit news and photo reports from your area using our Citizen Journalism App.
Contact us if you have any feedback, suggestions, complaints or compliments. We are also available on Facebook and Twitter. Subscribe to Onlinenigeria.com Opinion page!
Latest Nigeria News
- I Weep For President Buhari, His Wife Has Cried Out Endlessly - Dele Momodu
- Check Out Emirates' 'Diamond-encrusted' Airplane Going Viral Online (Photos)
- Luiz keen on Chelsea’s stay
- Oil marketers dare FG, shut down depots
- Christianity under siege in China
- Oil marketers suspend strike, gives FG 5-day grace
- Banks spend N555bn in nine months for customers’ relations
- Govenor Amosun in urgent meeting with Buhari
- Access Bank bags CBN’s Award
- 2019 Election: Senate declares public hearing on vote-buying
- AMCON says asset management partners to help recover N740bn
- DMO enlists support of sub-national entities in managing Nigeria’s rising public debt
- Brilliant Nigerian Lady Abisoye Wins CNN Heroes Awards 2018
- Sharing Trader Moni Weeks To Election Is Vote Buying - Dogara
- EFCC Reveals Why They Raided Atiku's Sons Apartment
- Nigeria's GDP Rises To 1.81% In Third Quarter, After Falling From 7% Since 2016
- Offa robbery: Police debunks report on missing stolen money
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- Riverplate Clinch Copa Libertadores After Edging Out Boca
- FIFA & France Sign Agreement on African Football
- Tinubu Is My Friend, But I'll Free Lagos From Him - Jimi Agbaje
- Seriously? Human Bones Found Buried in Front of Popular Hotel in Lagos
- See Actor Gideon Okeke Getting His Lips Stitched After Being Brutalized By Policemen In Lagos
- I Was Aspiring To Be Chief Of Staff But God Turned The Table Around - Sanwo-Olu
- Atiku's Sons Apartment Raided By EFCC In Abuja
- Senator kicks against overriding Buhari’s veto
- Buhari constitutes committee on state’s judiciary autonomy
- Woman Brutally Attacked by Robbers on Her Way from Church in Rivers (Photos)
- True Story Of Metele Attacks - Surviving Soldier Reveals What Really Happened
- Money Rituals: Man Who Asked For Human Head Busted
- Winners Members Narrowly Escape Death While Returning From Shiloh (Photos)
- Buhari Worried over 2019, to Meet APC Governors, Oshiomhole
- Shell MD Escapes Prison As Appeal Court Nullifies Sentence
- Bishop Oyedepo: 2019 Will Be Peaceful, There Will Be Change For The Better
- Stop Sealing Suspects’ Assets & Render Them Useless - Falana tells EFCC
- 2019: T.Y. Danjuma's Group Meets Today To Pick Consensus Presidential Candidate
- We Will Not Allow Saraki Humiliate Buhari On Electoral Bill - APC Senators Vow
- Trouble: Oil Marketers To Shut Down All Loading Operations By Midnight
- Akpabio: I Brought Emmanuel Udom From Lagos & Made Him Governor