Maina is currently a suspect in an alleged N2 billion scam and his recall to office is being seen by many as a stain on the Buhari's administration and the president's integrity.
In this opinion, Nigerian lawyer, Jiti Ogunye, explains why the dismissal of Maina by President Buhari might not be legal after all.
While we commend President Muhammadu Buhari for dousing the anger in the land which emanated from the surreptitious and scandalous recall, absorption and promotion of Abdulrasheed Maina as a director in the ministry of interior, we are compelled to ask the critical question whether the president can lawfully direct the dismissal or termination of the employment of a civil servant in the public service of the federation, without following the due process of law.
The facts that we know are that both the office of the head of service and Dambazzau's ministry of the interior have publicly issued statements that Maina was recalled and posted to the ministry of interior. So, we must assume that while Nigerians were totally unaware, Maina was brought back into this country and reintegrated in the public service of the federation. Thus, Maina, before the president's directive "was in the civil service of the federation"
Under the law ( Public Service Rules and Section 11 (1)(b)of the Interpretation Act, Cap I 23, Vol.8, LFN, 2004,), it is the Federal Civil Service Commission or the permanent secretary or heads of extra ministerial department as the case may be ( to whom disciplinary powers are delegated) that have the statutory power to mete disciplinary actions, including dismissal (or sack) to civil servants. In particular, Rule 04102 of the Public Service Rules provides that "the power to dismiss and to exercise disciplinary control over officers in the Federal Civil Service Commission is vested in the FCSC. This power may be delegated to any member of the commission or any officer in the Federal Civil Service "
Legally, therefore, the president lacks the power to sack or direct the sack of Maina.
But the president has the power to sack his AGF , the minister of the interior and any political appointee including his Chief of Staff who are reported to have masterminded and orchestrated the Maina fiasco. So, the president has left those he could sack and has gone for the head of the one he could not lawfully sack.
It appears to be forlon hope that the president will move soon against the members of his kitchen cabinet who are hatching one plot of dent for him after another.
But I can hear people shout for joy. "Thank goodness that the President has acted; what is rule of law and due process anyway? What was necessary was for Maina, the weapon of integrity destruction ( WID) to be defused".
As we say, borrowing from the Nigerian parlance, "end of story". Nigeria is an interesting country. Very interesting.
The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Onlinenigeria.com.
Your own opinion articles are welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org— drop an email telling us what you want to write about and why. More details in Onlinenigeria.com’s step-by-step guide for guest contributors.
We’re ready to trade your news for our money: submit news and photo reports from your area using our Citizen Journalism App.
Contact us if you have any feedback, suggestions, complaints or compliments. We are also available on Facebook and Twitter. Subscribe to Onlinenigeria.com Opinion page!
Latest Nigeria News
- Aruna wins ITTF 2018 Nigeria Open
- Bayelsa State league draws completed
- FIFA to Ban Nigeria on August 20
- Ahmed Musa nets winner for Al Nassr on his debut in Saudi Arabia
- London, Turkey trips awaits fresh players —Waheed
- FIFA to ban Ghana over government court case against GFA
- U-18,U-20 male handball emerged winner
- Ghanaian undercover journalist Anas ,colleagues escape lynching in Malawi
- We are disappointed, but this game will help us grow —Cech
- Only NFF recognized by CAF,FIFA can sack me —Sanusi insists
- Barca’s Bartomeu leaves door Open to Pogba signing
- Rising Tension in Presidency: Uncertainty over National Assembly reconvening to consider INEC Budget
- Minister Dalung: A Huge Disservice to the Sports Industry
- Messi sets new Barca Trophy record
- Defection trauma: Akpabio battles for survival
- Breaking: Police boss overhauls SARS
- Touching Story Of 25yrs Old Man Trapped In A Little Child's Body
- APC Accuses Saraki & Dogara Of 'Treason' Over Refusal To Open National Assembly
- OPM Church Completes 6th Free School (Photos)
- Experts predict future drop in demand for petrol, diesel
- Nigerians to witness more darkness as power drops
- Presidency Attacks Saraki Over Meeting With Obasanjo
- Dismissed Nigerian Policeman 'Infects Lover, 5 Others With HIV'
- Female Senator Nominated As Replacement For Akpabio
- Dismissed Soldier Arrested For Hijacking Tanker With 45,000 Litres Of Diesel In Lagos
- Drama As Couple Get Married Inside A Flooded Church (Photo)
- BREAKING: Osinbajo Orders Immediate Overhaul Of SARS
- Lagos now third worst city to live
- Senators sue AGF, others over ‘plot’ to sack Saraki
- Saraki playing with high treason, says APC
- Lady Reveals How Her Bike Man Set Her Up For Robbery In Lagos
- Landlord Used "Juju" To Tie Tenants' Destiny In Lagos
- 37 NYSC Members Involved In Accident After Leaving Camp
- Kwankwaso Visits Governor Wike In Rivers (Photos)
- Driver R*pes Big Politician's Daughter, Gets Her Pregnant
- 2019: PDP accuses INEC of deadly silence over PVCs allegedly found at Daura’s home
- Female Professor S*xually Harassed A Male Student (Photos)
- 2019: Buhari Declines Assent To Electoral Act Amendment Bill
- Woman Who Left Her Husband Bathed With Acid By Young Lover (Graphic Photos)
- Oshiomhole Meets APC Senators Privately Over Saraki?