By Anthony Ogbonna
Just shortly after the Minister of Interior, retired Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau, confirmed the resumption of duty by former Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on Pension Reforms, Mr. Abdulrasheed Maina, as an Acting Director in his ministry, President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered for the immediate sack of Mr. Abdulrasheed Maina from service.
A statement made available to newsmen by Femi Adesina, Buhari’s Special Adviser on media, said President Buhari also asked for a full report on the circumstances of Maina’s recall.
Recall that the minister of Interrior had confirmation Maina’s resumption of duty in a statement issued by his Press Secretary, Mr Ehisienmen Osaigbovo, on Sunday.
Osaigbovo, had in the confirmatory statement, however, debunked media reports that his principal was one of those responsible for Maina’s “re-instatement”.
According to him, “Maina was posted few days ago to the Ministry of Interior by the Office of the Head of Service on an Acting capacity to fill a vacancy created following the retirement of the Director heading the Human Resources Department in the Ministry.
“For the avoidance of doubt, issues relating to discipline, employment, re-engagement, posting, promotion and retirements of federal civil servants are the responsibility of the Federal Civil Service Commission and Office of the Head of Service of the Federation.
“No minister exercises such powers as erroneously expressed in this publication. “It is understood that Maina’s last posting was with the Ministry of Interior, and that is probably why he was re-posted back to the ministry,” he said.
But a statement by Femi Adesina, on Monday, said President Buhari ordered the immediate disengagement of Maina from service. He said President Buhari also demanded for the full report on the circumstances of Maina’s recall.
Maina was appointed by former President Goodluck Jonathan as Chairman of the task force in 2010 to check the corruption in the country’s pension system. In 2012, the Nigeria Police accused him of misappropriating N100 billion pension funds in connivance with others.
The Civil Service Commission reportedly dismissed him for “absconding from duty’’. Maina was arraigned in absentia by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), which declared him wanted in 2015.
The anti-graft agency, through its spokesman, Mr Wilson Uwujaren, says the former pension task force chairman remains on the commission’s wanted list. Sunday’s confirmation by the minister followed reports in the online media that Maina had been secretly re-instated and promoted to the rank of director in the ministry.
Latest Nigeria News
- Four SARS Officers Arrested For Kidnapping & Extorting N7Million From Bishop
- PDP Chairman Shot Dead In Lagos (Photo)
- Photos From Olu Jacobs Son's White Wedding
- UNILAG Female Student Declared Missing
- Woman Loses Husband, 3 Kids & 5 Relatives In Boat Accident
- Drunk Man Ordered For 11 Plates Of Food Mistakenly
- “I Am Guilty As Charged" - Lagos Fake Medical Doctor Confesses
- APC Chairman Oshiomhole Visits R-APC Chairman At Night
- Popular Croatian President Painting Her Own House (Photos)
- LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k
- Billionaire Femi Otedola Buys Daughter 2018 Range Rover
- Open letter to governor Godwin Obaseki
- Minister Escapes Death In Fatal Accident, Driver Burnt
- Rainy Season: Top 7 Tips On Staying Safe During A Flood
- "We Don't Want To Lose Saraki, Dogara, Others" - APC ready to meet their demands
- PDP chairman rates Atiku candidacy in opposition party
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins Osun PDP Governorship Ticket
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: "They Want To Kill Me"
- PDP Engages Top SAN To Lead Battle Against APC's Fayemi
- Good Man Drowns After Rescuing Pregnant Woman
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Upsetting R-APC Defection Plan?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports
- Woman Sets House On Fire Because She Was Not Invited To A Party
- This New Pocket-sized Drone Takes Selfie To A New Level
- Story of Nigerian Billionaire Who Owns 5 Airports In The UK
- Midnight Fire Razes Hundreds Of Shops In Jos Main Market
- Saraki Rejects Buhari's Plea? Summons Loyalist On Defection
- Nursing Mother and Her Kids Arrested After Her Husband Bought A Stolen Phone
- Gowon stirs Buhari anger as he suspects unwillingness of FG, Nigerian Army, other security agencies to curb killer herdsmen, Miyetti Allah
- Lagos gets FIBA nod as 2019 World Cup qualifiers host
- Enyimba’s July return to Aba shifted
- DIAMOND GOLDEN: Okagbare Manages 8 out of 8 spots
- NFF Dispute: In search of honour for our Otunba and Distinguished Senator
- Ronaldo ‘accepts’ two-year suspended prison sentence
- FF President appoints Obasi,Martins PS ,senior communication officer
- Buhari orders Dalung to resolve NFF crisis or resign
- I didn’t sign any petition against Warri Wolves —Etebo
- Dalung convoy involved in accident in Gombe
- 19-year-old man stabs 18-year-old girlfriend to death in Edo