By Anthony Ogbonna
Just shortly after the Minister of Interior, retired Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau, confirmed the resumption of duty by former Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on Pension Reforms, Mr. Abdulrasheed Maina, as an Acting Director in his ministry, President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered for the immediate sack of Mr. Abdulrasheed Maina from service.
A statement made available to newsmen by Femi Adesina, Buhari’s Special Adviser on media, said President Buhari also asked for a full report on the circumstances of Maina’s recall.
Recall that the minister of Interrior had confirmation Maina’s resumption of duty in a statement issued by his Press Secretary, Mr Ehisienmen Osaigbovo, on Sunday.
Osaigbovo, had in the confirmatory statement, however, debunked media reports that his principal was one of those responsible for Maina’s “re-instatement”.
According to him, “Maina was posted few days ago to the Ministry of Interior by the Office of the Head of Service on an Acting capacity to fill a vacancy created following the retirement of the Director heading the Human Resources Department in the Ministry.
“For the avoidance of doubt, issues relating to discipline, employment, re-engagement, posting, promotion and retirements of federal civil servants are the responsibility of the Federal Civil Service Commission and Office of the Head of Service of the Federation.
“No minister exercises such powers as erroneously expressed in this publication. “It is understood that Maina’s last posting was with the Ministry of Interior, and that is probably why he was re-posted back to the ministry,” he said.
But a statement by Femi Adesina, on Monday, said President Buhari ordered the immediate disengagement of Maina from service. He said President Buhari also demanded for the full report on the circumstances of Maina’s recall.
Maina was appointed by former President Goodluck Jonathan as Chairman of the task force in 2010 to check the corruption in the country’s pension system. In 2012, the Nigeria Police accused him of misappropriating N100 billion pension funds in connivance with others.
The Civil Service Commission reportedly dismissed him for “absconding from duty’’. Maina was arraigned in absentia by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), which declared him wanted in 2015.
The anti-graft agency, through its spokesman, Mr Wilson Uwujaren, says the former pension task force chairman remains on the commission’s wanted list. Sunday’s confirmation by the minister followed reports in the online media that Maina had been secretly re-instated and promoted to the rank of director in the ministry.
Latest Nigeria News
- Court orders senator to be summoned on newspaper
- APC gov.-elect visits Omisore
- Billionaire Femi Otedola Pictured With FIFA President
- I Didn't Purchase ADC Governorship Form For Governor Ambode - Former Speaker Ikuforiji
- Tears As Massive Flood Kills Pastor & His Wife In Imo State
- OPM Church Admits Boy Who Was Learning Mechanic Into Its Free School
- PDP afraid of rerun in Osun, says APC
- Prudent Energy Handball League to commence on Wednesday
- Anderson gains revenge over Novak Djokovic
- CAF Cup: Ikpeazu hails Enyimba for trouncing Rayon
- Tiger Woods wins first trophy in five years
- Mbaoma shoots Akwa United to top group
- Ballon d’Or: France football magazine to present award to best female player
- Tunde Sanni resigns as ABS coach
- Many Jubilate As Court Declares Okorocha Deputy's Impeachment Illegal (Photos)
- Tinubu's Ex-Wife & Mother Of His First Son Is Dead
- DSS Confirms Arrest, Detention Of Aisha Buhari’s ADC
- EXPOSED: INEC Removed 4,387 Votes From Our Ballots – PDP
- Fani-Kayode Visits Kwankwaso At His Residence
- APC Sends Kayode Fayemi To Omisore's House
- NSCDC begins inspection of petrol stations in Nasarawa State
- Real Madrid joins race for Ajax Fenkie de jong
- Pique: History speaks for itself
- Allegri: Ronaldo’s mentality, stronger than others
- Carragher: Arsenal, Man utd will miss out on top 4
- FG explains why Nigeria Air project was suspended
- CBN releases new cheque standard
- CBN retains rates again
- Stakeholders express concerns over adulterated palm oil
- CUSTOMS: FOU Owerri impounds military Camouflage, Tramadol, others
- Baby Escapes Death After Crawling Into A Major Road (Photo)
- FG Opens Up On Reason For Suspending Nigeria Air
- Robbers Busted After Snatching SUV From Victim At Gunpoint
- 2019: Abdulsalami Peace Committee In Closed-Door Meeting With INEC Chairman
- Special Offer On Trips To Dubai
- Farmers urged to harvest produce on time
- Aisha Buhari Orders Arrest Of Her Own ADC, Alleges N2.5b Fraud
- Singer Timi Dakolo Shares Fun Pic With Wife
- Ambode Moves Against LGA Chairmen Who Didn't Endorse Him, Considers Massive Sack?
- Face Of Heartless Son Who Killed His Father To Inherit Millions