- These are sad times for workers in Kogi state
- The state government has refused to pay workers in the state their wages according to the state chapter of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC)
- The workers are seeking the intervention of President Muhammadu Buhari on the issue
The leadership of the organised labour in Kogi state has appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to intervene over the issue non-payment of salaries by the state government.
According to the workers, the issue has resulted to the deaths of many workers in the state.
Recently, a director in the Kogi state civil service, Edward Soje committed suic*de by hanging himself on a tree in Lokoja, the state capital.
Kogi state governor, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, has not had it easy with the labour unions in the state.
The dangling body of Soje was found on a tree behind the mammy market at the Maigumeri barracks, the Nigeria Army Command Record in Lokoja.
The 54-year-old civil servant decided to take his life barely 10 days after his wife of 17 years gave birth to a set of male triplets in a private hospital in Abuja. The couple had been childless before then.
Soje, a Grade Level 16 Officer in the Kogi state Teaching Service Commission, was being owed 11 months’ salary arrears as at the time he took his life.
The secretaries of the state chapters of the NLC, Comrade Olakunle Faniyi, Trade Union Congress, James Kolawole and their Joint Public Service Negotiating Council counterpart, Comrade Isa Abubakar made the appeal in a statement issued in Lokoja.
They stated that their earlier call on the federal government to treat Kogi workers as Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and send relief materials to them was in view of the “deplorable situation” of the workers as a result of non-payment of their salaries for three to 22 months.
They said the recent su*cide incident of Soje, was a fresh reminder of the hardship the workers were going through.
“The decision taken by the civil servant to end his life in such a tragic way after he had sold all the property he laboured for due to non-payment of his salaries for eleven months is a true reflection of the agony Kogi workers are going through in the hands of Yahaya Bello administration,” the organized labour said.
They also chided the government for committing the scarce resources of the state in buying over 143 pages of a national newspaper “to mislead the reading public that his government is not owing salaries of civil servants.”
Onlinenigera.com had reported earlier that Dino Melaye, the senator representing Kogi West, had declared his readiness to fight to a standstill the government of his state over salaries of workers.
In tweets late on Friday, July 14, Senator Melaye said the battle for workers’ salaries is a ‘no retreat, no surrender’ one.
Latest Nigeria News
- Abdusalami says he hates certain politicians warming up for 2019
- Osun Election: APC Candidate, Gboyega Oyetola Casts His Vote
- Amaechi Reacts: Abe conspiring with Wike to pull me down
- NYSC Replies Minister Adebayo Shittu: "You Have No Excuse"
- ADC Governorship Candidate Cast His Vote In Osun Election
- FRSC Officials Beg As Mob Beats Them For "Causing" Accident
- Osun Election: Cadet Claiming To Be INEC Official Nabbed
- Atiku, Saraki, others divide PDP BoT
- PDP agent arrested for buying votes in Adeleke’s LGA
- Osun Election Photos: PDP's Adeleke Casts His Vote
- Pastor Goes Into Hiding After He Was Shot In Port Harcourt
- "How Big Politician R*ped Me In Hotel' - Nigerian Lady Cries
- Rivers State Overtakes Lagos As Top Investment Destination
- Man Shot In The Head, Dies During Shoot-out In APC Secretariat
- Tambuwal: Buhari now desperate to perpetuate self in power
- Police Arrest Drver For Allegedly Killing Professor
- Lai Mohammed Replies PDP: You're Now Panic Mode
- S*x, Alcohol, Hard Drugs: Revelations On Life In NYSC Camps
- Minimum Wage: FG Makes New Promises Over NLC Ultimatum
- Jimi Agbaje; Time to Free Lagos State is Now
- "Ambode Will Get PDP Form From Me, I'll Sell My House & Buy it"
- Mother of 7 Runs Out N*ked During S*x With Man, Dies Openly... family suspects ritual (photo)
- PDP Raises Alarm: 9 APC Governors In Osun To Rig Election
- White Man Crushed To Death On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Due To High Speed
- 2019: Tension In APC, Senators To Decamp As Oshiomhole Back Governors for Indirect Primary
- Man In Trouble As Lagos Runs Girl He Slept With Escaped With His Boss N5m SUV
- LAGOS 2019: Ambode, Tinubu Meeting Today For "Last" Chance
- OSUN Election: Candidates Bribing Voters N10k As Voting Opens
- Neighbour St*bs Family Man To Death Over Bathroom
- We Have Placed Top Politicians Under Surveillance To Check Vote-Buying - EFCC
- Don't Panic, Your Money Is Intact - CBN Assures All Ex-Skye Bank Customers
- PDP Should Give Us Vice Presidency Or Lose South East To APC - Ohanaeze Youths
- See What Soldiers Found In A Pond As They Search For Missing General
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Prince Oladimeji charges Kwara United to win 2018 Aiteo Cup
- Maigari concedes defeat to Pinnick in NFF presidential election
- NBS to spend $3.5m on poverty statistics survey
- Delta Air to launch first biometric terminal in the U.S
- FG abolishes payment of Overstay fees by dual citizens
- Polaris Bank takes over distressed Skye Bank assets