Home | News | Headlines | Operation Crocodile Smile II: Military Offensive Will Spark Off Another Crisis in N’Delta – IYC Warns
Operation Crocodile Smile II: Military Offensive Will Spark Off Another Crisis in N’Delta – IYC Warns
Ijaw Youth Council, IYC Worldwide led by Barr. Roland Oweilaemi Pereotubo has warned that the present military offensive against the peaceful and defenceless communities in the Niger Delta region will spark off another crisis in the region.
The IYC President handed down the warning in a statement signed by his Special Assistant on Media, Alaowei Cleric, Esq.
The IYC claimed that several Ijaw riverine communities in Edo and Ondo States have been tipped for invasion by the military under the cover of Operation Crocodile Smile 11.
The IYC said the ongoing military drill in the Niger Delta code named: Operation Crocodile Smile II ‘has become a launch pad for the Federal Government to invade peaceful Niger Delta communities.
The IYC also condemned the destruction of Ajakurama Community allegedly by the military in its entirety.
The IYC stated that the excuse the military gave in destroying the Community is unjustifiable.
According to IYC, “The recent unprovoked invasion of Ajakurama Community in Edo State is a manifestation of the military planned invasion of Ijaw communities in the riverine areas in the name of looking for militants’ camps.”
While noting that there is no militants’ camps in Ajakurama community, the IYC called on military hierarchy to call its officers to order stressing that they’re creating an unnecessary tension in the region.
“What we need in the Niger Delta is development. Instead of embarking on a fruitless ventures in the name of military drill, the Government should use the money to fund developmental projects in the creeks.”
“President Buhari should not let the military to derail the ongoing peace process in the region with its war of aggression against the riverine communities.”
“Ijaw people are not at war with the Federal Government. The military should not instigate crisis in the region.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Bukayo Saka – Arsenal Under-23s
- Boko Haram: CAS plans new offensive
- Farmers, herders clash in Katsina, many dead
- Policemen arrest customs officers
- Oil price rises despite rising global supply
- Naira remains stable as CBN injects $210 million forex market
- MTN, Fidelity Bank, others face tribunal for tax default
- Saraki demands inquiry into death of Offa robbery suspect
- Christians, traditionalists, Muslims rally against hijab at UI school
- NEMA N33bn Scandal: Director-general speaks
- VP Osinbajo Didn't Visit Obasanjo
- Why EFCC, ICPC Find It Difficult To Fight Corruption
- You Can't Dress Anyhow & Say God Is Interested In Your Heart
- 'Largest Church Auditorium' For Dedication In Abuja
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Meet Pretty Lady Working As A Mechanic In Abuja (Photos)
- Buhari Did Not Inherit An Empty Treasury, It Is A Blatant Lie - Jonathan
- Ritualists Kill Two Women In Ondo, Remove Vital Organs
- Saraki Seeks Inquiry Into Key Suspect’s Death
- Amaechi Humiliated Me Before My Wife – Magnus Abe
- Buhari Promises More Infrastructure For Southeast
- Gov. Shettima To Jonathan: You Lied On Chibok girls
- Woman Killed By Customs Officers In Lagos (Photo)
- Groom Mistakenly Shot At His Wedding... the party continue
- A Person Can Indeed Be Corrupt Without Stealing A Dime, says Jonathan
- How Entertainment Will Benefit From My Presidency - Atiku
- Ambode presents Ikodass merit award to Owolabi Salis
- Police arrest Priest, 2 others for child theft
- Buhari hits back at British Parliamentarian over investors to Nigeria
- Nigeria’s inflation rate drops in October
- Subsidy fraud: Why I gave Lawan $ 500,000 bribe – Otedola
- Saraki urges expedite action on Police Reform Bill
- Education under attack in Northeastern Nigeria – UNESCO
- How to avoid contaminated chicken, turkey this Christmas
- N27bn fraud: EFCC quizzes PDP Senator
- Buhari woos South-east with presidency in 2023
- Man Excited As He Recovers Car Snatched By Armed Robbers At Gunpoint (Photos)
- Offa Robbery: After Initial Denial, Nigeria Police Confirm Prime Suspect Is Died
- Nigeria's Food Inflation Jumps To 13.38%, Reduces In Only 4 Out Of 36 State
- Big Girl Goes Mad After Withdrawing Money In Lagos (Photos)