According to him, the state legislators empowered the governor to erect the President Zuma’s statue in recognition of his service to humanity.
Ihim stated this on Friday during a chat with newsmen in his official residence in Owerri, the state capital.
He said: “It (Zuma’s statue) was a product of a bill passed into law by the State Assembly which now empowers the governor to accord recognition to any individual who has distinguished himself in his service to God and humanity across the globe.
“The only way to appreciate anybody who does or did well is to appreciate him when alive or dead. I wonder why nobody raised an eyebrow when a similar honour was accorded to the Ghanaian President, Addo Akufo and Second Republic Vice President, Dr Alex Ekwueme.”
Ihim, who represents Okigwe State Constituency, also dismissed insinuations in some quarters that the state legislators are Governor Rochas Okorocha’s puppets.
He argued that it was grossly misleading for some individuals to misconstrue the cordial working relationship between the Legislature and the Executive in the states as a sign of weakness on the former.
“The prevailing atmosphere of mutual tolerance and understanding between the executive and legislative arms of government in Imo state is a product of the impressive performance of the former.
“I stand to be challenged that we in the legislature are not prepared to antagonize the executive just to score cheap popularity,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- IGP Obeys Osinbajo's Order, Begins Nationwide Overhaul of SARS
- The Truth About ‘Huge Debts’ Oshiomhole Left For Me - Obaseki
- Flood Takes Over Houses In Lekki After Heavy Rainfall (Photos)
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Aruna wins ITTF 2018 Nigeria Open
- Bayelsa State league draws completed
- FIFA to Ban Nigeria on August 20
- Ahmed Musa nets winner for Al Nassr on his debut in Saudi Arabia
- London, Turkey trips awaits fresh players —Waheed
- FIFA to ban Ghana over government court case against GFA
- U-18,U-20 male handball emerged winner
- Ghanaian undercover journalist Anas ,colleagues escape lynching in Malawi
- We are disappointed, but this game will help us grow —Cech
- Only NFF recognized by CAF,FIFA can sack me —Sanusi insists
- Barca’s Bartomeu leaves door Open to Pogba signing
- Rising Tension in Presidency: Uncertainty over National Assembly reconvening to consider INEC Budget
- Minister Dalung: A Huge Disservice to the Sports Industry
- Messi sets new Barca Trophy record
- Defection trauma: Akpabio battles for survival
- Breaking: Police boss overhauls SARS
- Touching Story Of 25yrs Old Man Trapped In A Little Child's Body
- APC Accuses Saraki & Dogara Of 'Treason' Over Refusal To Open National Assembly
- OPM Church Completes 6th Free School (Photos)
- Experts predict future drop in demand for petrol, diesel
- Nigerians to witness more darkness as power drops
- Presidency Attacks Saraki Over Meeting With Obasanjo
- Dismissed Nigerian Policeman 'Infects Lover, 5 Others With HIV'
- Female Senator Nominated As Replacement For Akpabio
- Dismissed Soldier Arrested For Hijacking Tanker With 45,000 Litres Of Diesel In Lagos
- Drama As Couple Get Married Inside A Flooded Church (Photo)
- BREAKING: Osinbajo Orders Immediate Overhaul Of SARS
- Lagos now third worst city to live
- Senators sue AGF, others over ‘plot’ to sack Saraki
- Saraki playing with high treason, says APC
- Lady Reveals How Her Bike Man Set Her Up For Robbery In Lagos
- Landlord Used "Juju" To Tie Tenants' Destiny In Lagos
- 37 NYSC Members Involved In Accident After Leaving Camp
- Kwankwaso Visits Governor Wike In Rivers (Photos)
- Driver R*pes Big Politician's Daughter, Gets Her Pregnant
- 2019: PDP accuses INEC of deadly silence over PVCs allegedly found at Daura’s home