In the first attack, on a Shiite mosque in the Afghan capital Kabul, at least 32 people including women and children were killed and 41 others wounded when a lone suicide bomber blew himself up as worshippers gathered for evening prayer.
“Unfortunately this evening a suicide bomber detonated himself among the worshippers inside a mosque in Dasht-e-Barchi neighbourhood of Kabul city,” Kabul police spokesman Abdul Basir Mujahid told AFP.
The interior ministry confirmed the toll of 32 dead and 41 wounded.
Police initially said a gunman entered the Imam Zaman mosque in a heavily Shiite neighbourhood in the west of the city and opened fire on worshippers.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bloody attack but recent assaults on Shiite mosques in Afghanistan have been carried out by Islamic State militants, who belong to the rival Sunni branch of Islam.
In the second assault, a suicide bomber detonated himself in a Sunni mosque in the impoverished and remote central province of Ghor, killing at least 10 people.
A senior local police commander, who is believed to have been the target of the attack in Dolaina district, was among the dead, district governor Mohsen Danishyar told AFP.
Danishyar put the death toll as high as 30 but Ghor provincial governor Naser Khazeh told AFP that he could only confirm 10 deaths.
Interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish said at least 15 people were killed and five were injured in the Ghor assault.
The last attack on a Shiite mosque in Kabul happened on September 29 as Muslims prepared to commemorate Ashura, one of the holiest days in the Islamic calendar.
Six people were killed when a suicide bomber posing as a shepherd blew himself up near Hussainia mosque, one of the biggest Shiite centres in the city, as worshippers gathered for Friday prayers.
An attack on another Shiite mosque in the city on August 25 killed 28 people and wounded around 50 others.
Four attackers who set off explosions and fired gunshots laid siege to the mosque in the north of the capital for four hours as dozens of men, women and children had gathered for Friday prayers.
In recent years, the Taliban and Islamic State jihadists have repeatedly targeted the minority Shiite community, who number around three million in overwhelmingly Sunni Afghanistan
Latest Nigeria News
- Skye Bank: Why shareholders may drag CBN to court
- PDP leaders bickers over venue of convention
- Oshiomhole takes another swipe at Saraki, Dogara
- Handsome Young Man Killed By Lagos Cultists for 'Dressing Well' ...mother cries to Ambode, Police
- Funny Pics Of Man Bathing Inside Flood That Covered His Home
- 12-Year-Old Girl, Two Others Shot As Violence Erupts In Osogbo
- First Class Graduates, Others Protest Against Chevron In Lagos Over Enslavement
- Why I've Not Agreed To Work For PDP's Adeleke - Omisore
- Busquet to negotiate improved Barca deal
- Strong Man Lifts His Fiancee In Loved Up Pre-Wedding Photos
- Ambode Already Has Governorship Ticket Of Another Party?
- Oshiomhole Talks Tough: Saraki, Dogara Are Mistakes, We'll Deal With Their Types
- Your SAN Rank Can Be Withdrawn - CJN Warns As Top Lawyers Are Nabbed For Forgery
- PHOTO: Saraki, Senator Adeleke Meet Over Osun Rerun
- VP Osinbajo Visits Koton Karfe, Kogi, Inspects Areas Hit By Flood
- PDP Aspirants Opposed to PH Venue Are Enemies of Niger Delta - Gov Wike
- Gallant soldiers kill 7 Boko Haram terrorists, rescue 73 hostages
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Shehu Sani, Sule Lamido, Others Escapes Azman Air Disaster In Abuja
- PDP takes INEC to court, demands arrest of Osun returning officer
- APC Expels High-ranking House Of Reps Member
- Pretty Lady Celebrates Grandmother's 95th Birthday With Stylish Photoshoot
- Ambode Must Face Sanwo-Olu In Direct Primary - Lagos APC
- Jubilation As Notorious Kidnapper Is Captured By Police In Imo
- Tension In Osun As Security Allegedly Side APC, Arrest PDP Man Over PVC Allegation
- UNILAG Female Student Arrested For Stealing Money Through ATM Card (Photos)
- Armed Robbers Captured With Weapons & Charms By Police
- PDP Presidential Convention: Leaders Fight Over Rivers Venue
- Osun Rerun: "INEC Giving PVCs To APC Govt officials" - CUPP
- Why Adeleke Should Have Been Declared Winner - Ozekhome
- Flood Destroys Buhari's Spokesman, Garba Shehu's Farm
- Protest At INEC Office In Osun Over Inconclusive Election
- Osun Re-run: SDP's Omisore Lists Condition To Support PDP
- Analysts’ advice CBN to retain rates as MPC meets
- Ambode to challenge Tinubu’s anointed, others for APC ticket
- Ben Arfa to sue PSG
- Naira stabilizes at expense of declining external reserves
- David Luiz: Chelsea, too slow against Westham
- More Photos Of Saraki & Omisore After Their Meeting Today
- Footballer Impregnates 3 Ladies & All Give Birth Within 6 Weeks