In the first attack, on a Shiite mosque in the Afghan capital Kabul, at least 32 people including women and children were killed and 41 others wounded when a lone suicide bomber blew himself up as worshippers gathered for evening prayer.
“Unfortunately this evening a suicide bomber detonated himself among the worshippers inside a mosque in Dasht-e-Barchi neighbourhood of Kabul city,” Kabul police spokesman Abdul Basir Mujahid told AFP.
The interior ministry confirmed the toll of 32 dead and 41 wounded.
Police initially said a gunman entered the Imam Zaman mosque in a heavily Shiite neighbourhood in the west of the city and opened fire on worshippers.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bloody attack but recent assaults on Shiite mosques in Afghanistan have been carried out by Islamic State militants, who belong to the rival Sunni branch of Islam.
In the second assault, a suicide bomber detonated himself in a Sunni mosque in the impoverished and remote central province of Ghor, killing at least 10 people.
A senior local police commander, who is believed to have been the target of the attack in Dolaina district, was among the dead, district governor Mohsen Danishyar told AFP.
Danishyar put the death toll as high as 30 but Ghor provincial governor Naser Khazeh told AFP that he could only confirm 10 deaths.
Interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish said at least 15 people were killed and five were injured in the Ghor assault.
The last attack on a Shiite mosque in Kabul happened on September 29 as Muslims prepared to commemorate Ashura, one of the holiest days in the Islamic calendar.
Six people were killed when a suicide bomber posing as a shepherd blew himself up near Hussainia mosque, one of the biggest Shiite centres in the city, as worshippers gathered for Friday prayers.
An attack on another Shiite mosque in the city on August 25 killed 28 people and wounded around 50 others.
Four attackers who set off explosions and fired gunshots laid siege to the mosque in the north of the capital for four hours as dozens of men, women and children had gathered for Friday prayers.
In recent years, the Taliban and Islamic State jihadists have repeatedly targeted the minority Shiite community, who number around three million in overwhelmingly Sunni Afghanistan
Latest Nigeria News
- CJN Onnoghen Saga: FG Asks NFIU To Freeze His Accounts
- Mba returns as Force spokesperson
- Nigeria has a date with destiny in 2019 – Saraki
- Onnoghen: Osinbajo says Buhari knew about CJN trial Saturday
- Ex-NAF chief forfeits billions to FG
- Justice praises late Badeh in court, adjourns trial
- Nigeria envoys dies while waiting to see doctor
- National armoury up in flames
- Esperance announces capture of NPFL hotshot Junior Lokosa
- Nigeria gets 29 FIFA Referees for International Matches
- Petr Cech confirms he will retire at the end of the season after 20-year career
- Confluence Queens unveil Whyte as new Head Coach
- Buttler won’t mind if Football is banned
- Plateau united to play 3 home matches in illorin
- EU regrets after British MPs reject Brexit deal
- Atiku tops list of most searched presidential candidate
- Onnoghen: Fani-Kayode, Odumankin land in EFCC trouble
- About 500,000 PVCs gathering dust in Kano
- Nigeria bourse chief ties H2 market uptick to swift passage of 2019 budget
- U.K. Brexit deal rejected
- NIMASA to address maritime security challenges
- We never arrested, nor raided Onnoghen’s house – EFCC
- Bad power supply remains greatest challenge to businesses – CBN
- Fani-Kayode apologises to EFCC over fake news
- Dismissed Policeman Caught Stealing In Lagos
- UNILAG Launches First Campus TV Station
- 5 Things To Know About The New IGP, Mohammed Adamu
- MC Oluomo Resurfaces, Still Recovering In Hospital (Photos)
- What I Will Do As New Police Boss - IGP Adamu
- How Innocent Boy Spent 2 Years In Prison For A Crime He Didn't Commit (Photos)
- Drama As 2 Police Commissioners Resume In Lagos: "I Remain In Charge", says CP Edgal
- Update On The Deadly Attack At Kenya Hotel, Many Killed
- Atiku Raises Alarm: INEC Releasing PVC To APC Governors
- Single Mother Killed By Man She Followed To Hotel Room...
- New IGP Adamu Reverses Ex-IG Idris Last Minute Postings... May Save Four DIGs
- Okorocha, Six Others Summoned To APC Disciplinary Panel
- CJN Onnoghen and President Buhari Meet Face To Face
- Police Rescue Man From Committing Suicide On Lagos Bridge
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- People who sleep less risk heart disease – Report