In the first attack, on a Shiite mosque in the Afghan capital Kabul, at least 32 people including women and children were killed and 41 others wounded when a lone suicide bomber blew himself up as worshippers gathered for evening prayer.
“Unfortunately this evening a suicide bomber detonated himself among the worshippers inside a mosque in Dasht-e-Barchi neighbourhood of Kabul city,” Kabul police spokesman Abdul Basir Mujahid told AFP.
The interior ministry confirmed the toll of 32 dead and 41 wounded.
Police initially said a gunman entered the Imam Zaman mosque in a heavily Shiite neighbourhood in the west of the city and opened fire on worshippers.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bloody attack but recent assaults on Shiite mosques in Afghanistan have been carried out by Islamic State militants, who belong to the rival Sunni branch of Islam.
In the second assault, a suicide bomber detonated himself in a Sunni mosque in the impoverished and remote central province of Ghor, killing at least 10 people.
A senior local police commander, who is believed to have been the target of the attack in Dolaina district, was among the dead, district governor Mohsen Danishyar told AFP.
Danishyar put the death toll as high as 30 but Ghor provincial governor Naser Khazeh told AFP that he could only confirm 10 deaths.
Interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish said at least 15 people were killed and five were injured in the Ghor assault.
The last attack on a Shiite mosque in Kabul happened on September 29 as Muslims prepared to commemorate Ashura, one of the holiest days in the Islamic calendar.
Six people were killed when a suicide bomber posing as a shepherd blew himself up near Hussainia mosque, one of the biggest Shiite centres in the city, as worshippers gathered for Friday prayers.
An attack on another Shiite mosque in the city on August 25 killed 28 people and wounded around 50 others.
Four attackers who set off explosions and fired gunshots laid siege to the mosque in the north of the capital for four hours as dozens of men, women and children had gathered for Friday prayers.
In recent years, the Taliban and Islamic State jihadists have repeatedly targeted the minority Shiite community, who number around three million in overwhelmingly Sunni Afghanistan
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari Appoints Ex-CBN Deputy Governor, Tunde Lemo, As FERMA Chairman
- Woman Who Just Got Married Killed In Katsina Flood, Body Found In Niger Republic
- Dino Melaye Ignores Threats, Commissions Projects In Kogi (Pics)
- We Fear For 2019: Ekiti Election Was For The Highest Bidder, says Anti-Corruption Group
- How Robber Charmed SARS Operatives To Escape From Custody - Robber's Girlfriend
- British Man Plots To Kill Female Prime Minister (Pics & Details)
- Tanker Loaded With Petrol Falls & Spills Content In Lagos; Apapa Residents Raise Alarm
- Finally, FG unveils name, logo of new national carrier
- STRANGE! Female Student Becomes 'Possessed' During Lecture, Loses Consciousness
- All PDP Presidential Aspirants Meet Gov. Tambuwal In Sokoto
- APC crisis: 9 Governors, 31 Senators, 54 Reps, behind R-APC to unseat Buhari
- Another letter: OBJ attacks Buhari again
- Bride drowned in Katisna flood found in Niger Republic
- APC Replies PDP: We Dare You To Go To Court With Your Facts
- 2019: Saraki Meets 4 Governors, Top Politicians; To Dump APC?
- Married Woman Dies After Surgery To Increase Her Buttocks, Doctor On The Run
- Police Dismiss Inspector For Giving Out Information...
- Police Helicopter Threatening My Life - Fayose
- "This Is My First Time" - Kidnapper Begs, Reveals How Much He Got
- See The All New 2019 Honda Pilot (Photos)
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo Declares To Contest For Governor In Enugu Under APC
- Most Wanted Armed Robber 'Agbara' Shot Dead By Police
- APC crisis: Secondus woes Gemade, Saraki, Tambuwal, Ortom, Ahmed
- Yummy Bread and Egg Recipe To Try Out
- NYSC Announces Date For Batch B, Stream 1 Orientation
- How Abuja Airport Road Has Sent Many People To Their Graves
- Dino Melaye Reacts To The Burning Down Of His School Projects By Hoodlums In Kogi
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari; Says The Govt. Is Incompetent, Confused
- Twin Brothers Die In Accident After Visiting Mother
- "We Now Have Facts On How Ekiti Election Was Rigged" – PDP
- IGP Idris Must End Killing Of Policemen Now – House of Reps
- Top Officials In Trouble As FG Uncovers N62.5bn Fraud In NSITF
- Senate Probes Kachikwu Over Alleged Oil & Gas "Deals"
- Police Arrest & Parade Suspected Kidnappers Of Chibokgirls
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Man Drives A Burning SUV From A Fire Scene In Lagos (Photos)
- First Ever Miss Nigeria, Grace Oyelude, Still Looking Graceful At 86
- Woman Walked Out Of This Accident, Husband Appreciates God
- FG Unveils New National Carrier, 'Nigerian Air' In London
- Benue 2019: Ortom battles for survival