A Senate committee chaired by Senator Hope Uzodinma has made a shocking recovery of a whopping N140 billion.
A Senate panel yesterday said N140billion has been recovered as a result of its probe on the N30trillion revenue leakages between 2006 and 2016, according to Dailytrust.
The panel said the fund has been remitted to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The revelation followed consideration of an interim report of the joint committee on Customs, Excise and Tariff and Marine Transport chaired by Senator Hope Uzodinma (PDP, Imo). Presenting the report, Senate said N128bn has been paid to the CBN by commercial banks involved in the revenue leakages.
“As a result of this exercise, some collection banks have made remittances to the CBN to the tune of N128bn and evidence of payment and receipt have been received by the committee.
“From the selected 60 companies, over N12bn payments have been made to the government voluntarily by the companies based on their own internal self-audit after receiving documented evidence of their culpability from our committee,” he said.
Expressing hope that more money will be recovered, Uzodinma said: “It is instructive to note that despite all payments so far made, none of the approved collection banks or the selected companies have fully cleared the established liabilities against them “.
He then requested for additional eight weeks for the committee to complete its probe, saying, “While this is still a work in progress in our view, it has broken new grounds in terms of the discoveries already made and the deeper insight that has been exposed”.
The request by the panel for extension was granted by the Senate.
Latest Nigeria News
- Higuain to be among Prem’s top earners
- Man City prepare bid for Rudy, West Ham to continue talks over Maxi Gomez
- Hudson-Odoi to reject £85,000 a week Chelsea deal to move to Bayern
- Barca target De Jong to decide future this week
- Mbappe, Bernardo to Madrid
- Giroud talks about Chelsea switch
- Arsenal fight Monaco over Gelson
- Puel to decide Silva switch, Godin set for inter
- N’Koudou heads to Besiktas
- Madrid eyes youngster Florin
- Obasanjo blasts Buhari again in new letter (full text)
- Jimoh ready to fight whoever says his mother burnt to death
- Tsitsipas knocks out Federer
- 25 Things Obasanjo Said About Buhari, Amina Zakari, Osinbajo
- Mourinho Has turned down three job offers already
- Manny Pacquiao sets up Mayweather rematch
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari: Nigeria Is Back To Abacha Era
- Man dies days after setting himself ablaze because of runaway wife
- Why I missed presidential debate – Buhari
- Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother burnt to death
- Experts chart focus for cyber security in 2019
- CJN Onnoghen Faces Big Challenge As FG Expands Probe
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Retired Generals Conspiring Against Buhari
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Pics Of Nigerian Captain & Pretty Fiancée
- Senior Lawyers To Tackle FG Over Action On CJN Onnoghen
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out