Home | News | Headlines | President Buhari Congratulates Jonathan's Ex-Minister on Winning the World Food Prize of $250,000
In a statement released by the Presidential Special Adviser on Media and Publicity on Thursday, President Muhammadu Buhari congratulated former Minister of Agriculture for winning the 2017 World Food Prize Laureate
President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday, said Nigeria remains proud of its former Minister of Agriculture, Dr Akinwumi Adesina, for winning the 2017 World Food Prize Laureate.
Adesina, who is the President of the African Development Bank, is being presented the $250,000 prize and Laureate sculpture at a ceremony at the Iowa State Capitol, United States.
According to a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, the President’s congratulatory message was contained in a video message to the former minister.
The statement quoted Buhari as saying, “I received with delight the cheery news of your award as 2017 World Food Prize Laureate. Certainly, this did not come to me and many Nigerians as a surprise, given your antecedents and contributions to the development of agriculture across the African continent.
“We are very proud of you.
“According to the World Food Prize Foundation, you won the prize for driving change in African agriculture for over 25 years and improving food security for millions across the continent. Your choice as the winner of the World Food Prize is a clear recognition and appreciation of your long-standing contributions, reflected in your several roles and activities which promote social economic development.
“By dint of hard work, persistence, diligent efforts and God’s sufficient grace, you have risen above many limitations to emerge as a notable figure and a true champion. Your life story mirrors the resilience of the African spirit and doggedness for which Nigerians are well known.
“On behalf of the government and people of Nigeria, I congratulate you and rejoice with you, your family and the AfDB family on this well-deserved honour.
Latest Nigeria News
- Insecurity: Senate gives security chiefs 2 weeks to present budget
- Imprisoned Sen. Jang got bail
- Director refutes reports of workers strike in Federal Ministry of Finance
- APC crisis worsens: Bauchi Deputy Governor quits office
- Ambode awards scholarship, N5m cash reward to best graduating LASU student
- Israel tells EU to go to hell over criticism
- NNPC eyes downstream market share by 2020
- Presidency dismisses Amnesty International indictment
- Ebola: WHO expects worst as epidemic about to spread across Africa, world
- Breaking: Buhari brings back former IGP
- Policeman Beats Up Lady For Refusing To Allow Him Search Her
- Names Of 58 Illegal Universities In Nigeria Released By NUC
- Re: $16 billion on Power Project: Obasanjo disbursed only $3.7bn – Panel
- NASS fails to transmit 2018 Budget to Buhari – Udo Udoma
- JAF, Labour hold summit on political alternative in Nigeria
- Cultist sells “wasted” victim’s hands for most ridiculous amount
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Things You Should Know About Travelling Abroad
- E-Money's 10 Luxury Vehicles Impounded Over N6M Import Duty
- Notorious Robber Begs For His Life After Being Caught In Delta
- Meet Airport Cleaner Who Returned $6,000 She Found In Toilet
- Shekarau Arrested By EFCC Over N950m Fraud, To Be Arraigned With Others
- REVEALED: All Government & EFCC Reports Cleared Obasanjo, He Didn't Spend $16B On Power
- Ambode Adopts LASU’s Best Graduating Student, Gives Him N5m
- My Father Blackmailed Me For S*x, says 18yrs Daughter
- Buhari Gets Kicks For Celebrating Abacha
- Woman Jailed 15 Years For Having S*x With 16yrs Old Boy
- Mother Cries Out, Blames Lagos Hospital For Son’s "Condition"
- What Sophia Omidiji says in vernacular about her call-up to S’ Falcons
- Tasiu Lawal gives Katsina United full marks against Sunshine Stars
- Abia Angels crush Robo Queens
- Fayose mocks Obasanjo over power plant scandal
- Gunmen abduct 44 passengers along highway
- Editor’s end-of-season La Liga awards
- Transfer gossip: Emery chase, Martial decision
- Loanees who could feature for PL clubs next season
- Transfer guide for EPL Clubs
- Lukaku in trouble
- Liverpool: Underdogs but not outclassed
- Don’t grant incentives to tobacco firms, Govt-led group urges Nigeria