The committee after subjecting the management of four different banks, where Mrs. Jonathan had accounts, directed that those accounts not encumbered by any legal process be re-opened.
The committee, headed by Sam Anyanwu, noted that some of the accounts were frozen based on some administrative lapses.
According to the committee, “one of the accounts which is with Stanbic IBTC Bank had not breached any known law or due process.”
The committee also directed that the account with Zenith Bank must be re-opened because the court order which directed that it should be frozen had been vacated.
The committee members were particularly unhappy with what they called arbitrary manner in which the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) used the banks to close the accounts without complying with due process of law.
After listening to the committee, bank executives present informed the lawmakers that the court order vacating the earlier ones relied upon by the EFCC to close the accounts were not made available to them.
Consequently, they promised to re-open those accounts having been made known of the vacation order.
The committee expressed shock that the banks could rely on an ordinary letter by the EFCC anticipating a favourable ruling to freeze customers’ accounts.
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria’s tiers of government share N647.39 in March
- Buhari condemns killing of priests, worshippers in Benue Church
- Lagos IGR hits N103.4bn in first quarter of 2018
- Police explain why Dino Melaye was arrested for interrogation
- Massive corruption evident under Buhari, says US report
- Melaye jumps out of police van, lands in hospital
- Order Saraki, Melaye, others to refund ‘illegal N13.5m allowance with interest’ – SERAP tells court
- Nigeria, Saudi Arabia in faceoff over attempts to block pilgrims
- Boateng: We can only stop Ronaldo as a team
- New corps members’ allowance dependent on new minimum wage – DG
- NSE marks Earth Day, seals corporate recycling MoU with RecyclePoints limited
- NCC withdraws 41m Starcomms, Zoom mobile, others numbers
- NBC accuses Daar Communications of violation, stops FM radio
- Herdsmen turn on Catholic church in Benue, kill 27 worshipers in 4 days
- Saraki, Senate abandon Melaye
- Zenith Bank’s Q1 results indicate strong improvements
- Henderson: Salah will stay to break more Liverpool records
- NSE: Equities record marginal decline, trend to continue if….
- 419 Gang Who Dupe People With Fake Currency Nabbed In Lagos
- Living The Life Of A True Christian Who Can Make Heaven
- Save Lagos Group laments infrastructure decay in primary schools
- Nigeria gets $1.5m interest on returned Abacha loot
- Who Left Over N1Billion In An Account But Can't Claim It?
- Ex-President Bush Hospitalized Days After Wife’s Death
- Offa Robbery Update: Affected Bank Sacks 5 Staff
- Man Escapes Tragic Death As Car Is Crushed By Big Truck
- There's A Plot To Kill Me - Dino Melaye Cries Out
- Offa Attack: Five bank staffers sacked; top police officers linked
- Bishop Oyedepo berates Buhari: Your government is a failure, God is angry with you
- The “approved” $1 billion for arms purchase
- Wading into the Oba-Emir Debate
- Melaye alleges plot to assassinate him
- Obama Foundation introduces new programme for emerging leaders in Africa
- APC Chairmanship: Oshiomhole’s candidature suffers setback
- Lagos Policemen Chased My Son To Death - Father
- Dino Melaye: They snatched my passport, I snatched it back
- EFCC Arrests Ibori’s Man, Senator Nwaoboshi Over N6B "Fraud"
- Lagos Security Man Arrested For Impregnating His Daughter
- Melaye trapped, helpless as police speaks on reinforced siege
- Dino Melaye surrenders