The committee after subjecting the management of four different banks, where Mrs. Jonathan had accounts, directed that those accounts not encumbered by any legal process be re-opened.
The committee, headed by Sam Anyanwu, noted that some of the accounts were frozen based on some administrative lapses.
According to the committee, “one of the accounts which is with Stanbic IBTC Bank had not breached any known law or due process.”
The committee also directed that the account with Zenith Bank must be re-opened because the court order which directed that it should be frozen had been vacated.
The committee members were particularly unhappy with what they called arbitrary manner in which the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) used the banks to close the accounts without complying with due process of law.
After listening to the committee, bank executives present informed the lawmakers that the court order vacating the earlier ones relied upon by the EFCC to close the accounts were not made available to them.
Consequently, they promised to re-open those accounts having been made known of the vacation order.
The committee expressed shock that the banks could rely on an ordinary letter by the EFCC anticipating a favourable ruling to freeze customers’ accounts.
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerian Lady Dies From Electrocution As She Slept Off While Charging Her Phone
- Lagos Police sack Commander of Anti-Cult Squad for "Corruption"
- Kidnapper Who Killed Nigerian Lawmaker After Collecting Ransom Captured In A Forest
- Buhari Shocks NewPDP, Says He Won't Meet With Them
- LASTMA officials ‘detain’ schoolchildren over driver’s traffic offence
- Be ready to accept defeat in good faith, Atiku tells APC
- Notorious Cultists Fight Openly In Lagos, One Killed
- 10 Skills That Are Very Useful To Know Today
- EFCC goes after politicians, parties’ bank accounts
- Abuja airport records 1.02m passengers in Q1 – FAAN
- Good Reasons To Consider Flying First Class When You Can
- "I Am Not Going To America" - Atiku Abubakar
- Lucky Boy who was Street Painter 4 Years Ago, is now a Millionaire Football Star
- Rice Smuggling: Government Shuts Land Border
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Chelsea criticize Moses over poor performance against Croatia
- Night guards shot at us as we acted a robbery scene – Micheal Kalu
- Redeemers begin political campaign towards 2019
- Activist sues EFCC, Oshiomhole over corruption allegations
- Manchester United ready £60million bid for Willian
- EU retains ban on Medview aircraft
- SERAP sues Fashola over failure to account for electricity spendings
- Southern, Middle Belt Forum raises alarm over registration of foreigners by INEC for 2019 elections
- Bizarre: 25-year-old woman gives birth to 24-year-old baby
- Female Corper R*ped By 15 Armed Men... she's in critical condition
- Peaceful Elections: Rivers PDP Chairman Urges INEC, Security Agencies To Learn From Rivers Experience
- Former President's Wife Dies In Fatal Accident, Many Inured
- Marriage That You Password Your Phone & Hide It From Your Spouse Is A Fake Marriage
- Super Eagles' Winning Bonus Increased By $5,000 To Spur Them To Victory
- Father Meets His Biological Son First Time In 50 Years After DNA Test Confirmation
- Oil prices drop on US-China trade war
- N223m fraud: Senators tackle ex-SGF over innocence claim
- Tension as APC meets to ratify delegates’ list for convention
- I Left Nigeria Rich, Returned Miserable – Returnee
- Faces of men caught over attempted kidnap of female Customs Deputy Comptroller
- Lai Mohammed Says Buhari Is Transforming Nigeria
- Arrested One-Chance Robbers Hit Victim With Hammer; Say "we're surprised he died"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Prevent Leg Cramps During A Long Journey
- Female Soldier Who Escaped Attack On Her Wedding Day Dies In Fatal Accident (Photo)