The committee after subjecting the management of four different banks, where Mrs. Jonathan had accounts, directed that those accounts not encumbered by any legal process be re-opened.
The committee, headed by Sam Anyanwu, noted that some of the accounts were frozen based on some administrative lapses.
According to the committee, “one of the accounts which is with Stanbic IBTC Bank had not breached any known law or due process.”
The committee also directed that the account with Zenith Bank must be re-opened because the court order which directed that it should be frozen had been vacated.
The committee members were particularly unhappy with what they called arbitrary manner in which the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) used the banks to close the accounts without complying with due process of law.
After listening to the committee, bank executives present informed the lawmakers that the court order vacating the earlier ones relied upon by the EFCC to close the accounts were not made available to them.
Consequently, they promised to re-open those accounts having been made known of the vacation order.
The committee expressed shock that the banks could rely on an ordinary letter by the EFCC anticipating a favourable ruling to freeze customers’ accounts.
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP Will Never Come Back To Aso Rock, says Osinbajo
- Shock As Newly Married Lady Falls To Her Death While Taking Special Photo
- Muslim Woman Donates Wrappers To Christian Widows For Christmas Celebration
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NFF fails to promote NNL clubs that made me resigned —Olopade
- NSF: Charity Izevbokun wins first Gold For Edo — Kehinde Osagiede
- We will strive to raise the bar as the best tournament in Nigeria – Inuwa.
- We will prepare hard and take our chances – Dennerby
- Team Anambra target is ten gold medals —- Emeka Egbutu
- WAFU Cup: Flying Eagles up against Junior Mena
- FG, Abia sign definitive agreements Enyimba Economic City
- FRSC worries about Kaduna-Abuja roads
- 2019: Obasanjo insists he wants Buhari out
- South Africa, Cameroon not downcast
- Only A Fool Will Be Neutral When Nigeria Suffer Incompetence & Nepotism – Obasanjo
- Court May Compel Buhari To Investigate Ganduje's Dollar Bribe
- Electoral Amendment: Majority leader backs Buhari
- Northern Leaders Withdraw Support for Buhari over Revelation by his wife, Aisha?
- Police Beat Up Popular Actor Gideon Okeke In Lagos (Photos)
- Man Disgraced As He Was Caught Trying To Steal Ladies' Pant For Money Ritual in Delta
- FG states resolve on INEC’s security
- Super Falcons to know World Cup foes
- Beach Soccer AFCON: Supersand Eagles tackle Senegal
- Father Mbaka ‘Escapes’ Assassination
- Atiku As 2019 Consensus Candidate: PDP Moves To Get Other Parties' Support
- David De Gea is ranked best goalkeeper
- 19th NSF games schedule for Saturday as 23 events go down today
- Team Anambra should stay together to win —-Tony Oli
- NAPF President, Babaginda bails out ailing former Footballer
- Salah sets Liverpool record
- Women’s World Cup draw pits England against Scotland
- I’m in National team to build my profile, not for money—- Aigbogun
- NSF: Loveth Aboki gives Edo first medal in Power lifting
- Honest Security Guard Praised For Returning Lost Wallet Filled With Cash In Abuja
- Tinubu Showers Family Of Late 'Baba Sala' With Cash
- Serious Air Tragedy Averted As Plane Tyres Refuse To Eject In PH Airport While Landing
- Electoral Act: National Assembly Plans To Override Buhari
- Reactions Trailing Freezing Of Peter Obi’s Accounts
- APC Headquarters In Dilemma Over Amosun, Okorocha
- Forget The Past, Vote Buhari, Sanwo-Olu – Ambode