- There is growing tension within the Nigeria Police Force (NPF)
- A group of aggrieved officers have written an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari
- The officers are alleging negligence and injustice by police authorities
Tension is brewing within the NPF as some policemen who were enlisted into the force with lower qualifications before obtaining university degrees or the Higher National Diploma have petitioned the presidency.
According to The Punch, the officers are alleging negligence and injustice by police authorities.
They claimed that after their examination and final interview for promotion to the rank of Assistant Superintendent of Police which held in 2015, the process was suddenly abandoned.
The Nigeria Police Force has been in the news lately for all the wrong reasons
Spokesman for the aggrieved police officers, Abubakar Gambo, in an open letter to president Mohammadu Buhari, appealed to the president “to use his good offices to direct that the promotion process, which had reached advanced stage before it was suspended, be completed.”
They cited Section 39 of Part IV (Appointment) of the Police Act and Regulation to support their argument.
Part of the petition read:“We wrote to the National Assembly, the Police High Command (Force Headquarters) and the Police Service Commission on the issue in February this year, but nothing concrete has been done. We are pleading that you use your good offices as the Chairman of Police Council to intervene.
“Considering the resources that have gone into the exercise, it is only good to bring it to conclusion and avoid wastage. Those that wrote the promotional examination and those who passed were interviewed by the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in their various zones and the representatives of the PSC.
“We were shocked when suddenly the police high command and the PSC abandoned the entire process to commence fresh recruitment of civilians for the ASP cadet.”
Meanwhile, the Police Service Commission (PSC) says it has no power to discipline the Inspector-General of Police.
A statement by Ikechukwu Ani, media, press and public relations officer of PSC, said that the commission would not compromise its constitutional mandate to appoint, promote and discipline officers of the NPF.
“The commission also wishes to state that its powers to do this does not cover the office of the Inspector General of Police.
“The powers of the commission are stated in paragraph 30, part 1 of the third schedule of the 1999 constitution,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- SP shoots dead ex-finance minister’s daughter; family suspects something else
- “N230m bursary to 5,393 Ondo students—dividend of democracy”
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Police Saved Man's Life After Heath Challenge While Driving
- Woman Gives Birth While In A Coma, Wakes Up 23 Days After To See Baby In Her Arms (Photos)
- INEC Chairman Gives Update On APC Position In Zamfara
- So Boko Haram Finally Killed This Beautiful Lady?
- Fayose: I’m Storming EFCC Today With My Bedclothes, Bible...
- Man Kidnaps His Cheating Girlfriend’s Mother
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Dragged To Court By FG
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: My Life Is Under Threat
- APC Aspirants: Many Unpopular Candidates Will Affect Buhari
- Newlywed Killed 5 Days After Wedding While On Honeymoon With Wife (Photo)
- Buhari Is A Misfit, He Has To Leave In 2019 – Tambuwal
- Story Of Woman Who Suffered 35 Miscarriages In 7 Years
- Atiku Meets Jonathan To Strategize For 2019 Election (Photos)
- Married Woman Bites Off Landlord's Lips (Photo)
- “Fayose to be detained indefinitely”
- Ekiti State ready to hijack Gold Cup Tourney from Benue State
- Akinwunmi encourage Super Eagles in Tunisia
- Makoko: Coalition of Civil Society Organizations task Ambode on police invasion, issues 21 days ultimatum
- NCC to sanction illegal auto tracking solutions providers
- Your candidacy not a meal ticket, Obasa counsels colleagues
- Shittu battles NYSC as Buhari waits for minister’s resignation
- Customs generates over N1b in 2 months
- Exam malpractice: Diarrhea prevents Adeleke from showing up in court; judge orders IGP to ensure arraignment
- IG of Police opposes demotion of officers by PSC Chairman
- 2019: Tinubu battles Amosun to regain South West leadership
- Pretty Lady Grabs Her Man Who Tries To Run In Pre-Wedding Photoshoot
- NERC to put limits on estimated billings
- Buhari explains why he bans 50 high-profile Nigerians
- You’re too arrogant, First Lady tells President
- Kalu speaks on his goal for Super Eagles
- Ocean Boys crown Champions Bayelsa Football League
- Leaked Bribe Videos: Impeachment Looms As Kano Assembly Begins Probe Of Governor
- IGP Orders Arrest Of Policemen Over Murder Of Abuja Lady
- Kukah: How I Convinced Obasanjo To End Feud With Atiku
- Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC
- Minister allays fear over Nigeria’s rising debt portfolio
- Travel ban, not political weapon against opposition- Presidency