- There is growing tension within the Nigeria Police Force (NPF)
- A group of aggrieved officers have written an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari
- The officers are alleging negligence and injustice by police authorities
Tension is brewing within the NPF as some policemen who were enlisted into the force with lower qualifications before obtaining university degrees or the Higher National Diploma have petitioned the presidency.
According to The Punch, the officers are alleging negligence and injustice by police authorities.
They claimed that after their examination and final interview for promotion to the rank of Assistant Superintendent of Police which held in 2015, the process was suddenly abandoned.
The Nigeria Police Force has been in the news lately for all the wrong reasons
Spokesman for the aggrieved police officers, Abubakar Gambo, in an open letter to president Mohammadu Buhari, appealed to the president “to use his good offices to direct that the promotion process, which had reached advanced stage before it was suspended, be completed.”
They cited Section 39 of Part IV (Appointment) of the Police Act and Regulation to support their argument.
Part of the petition read:“We wrote to the National Assembly, the Police High Command (Force Headquarters) and the Police Service Commission on the issue in February this year, but nothing concrete has been done. We are pleading that you use your good offices as the Chairman of Police Council to intervene.
“Considering the resources that have gone into the exercise, it is only good to bring it to conclusion and avoid wastage. Those that wrote the promotional examination and those who passed were interviewed by the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in their various zones and the representatives of the PSC.
“We were shocked when suddenly the police high command and the PSC abandoned the entire process to commence fresh recruitment of civilians for the ASP cadet.”
Meanwhile, the Police Service Commission (PSC) says it has no power to discipline the Inspector-General of Police.
A statement by Ikechukwu Ani, media, press and public relations officer of PSC, said that the commission would not compromise its constitutional mandate to appoint, promote and discipline officers of the NPF.
“The commission also wishes to state that its powers to do this does not cover the office of the Inspector General of Police.
“The powers of the commission are stated in paragraph 30, part 1 of the third schedule of the 1999 constitution,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- IGP Obeys Osinbajo's Order, Begins Nationwide Overhaul of SARS
- The Truth About ‘Huge Debts’ Oshiomhole Left For Me - Obaseki
- Flood Takes Over Houses In Lekki After Heavy Rainfall (Photos)
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Aruna wins ITTF 2018 Nigeria Open
- Bayelsa State league draws completed
- FIFA to Ban Nigeria on August 20
- Ahmed Musa nets winner for Al Nassr on his debut in Saudi Arabia
- London, Turkey trips awaits fresh players —Waheed
- FIFA to ban Ghana over government court case against GFA
- U-18,U-20 male handball emerged winner
- Ghanaian undercover journalist Anas ,colleagues escape lynching in Malawi
- We are disappointed, but this game will help us grow —Cech
- Only NFF recognized by CAF,FIFA can sack me —Sanusi insists
- Barca’s Bartomeu leaves door Open to Pogba signing
- Rising Tension in Presidency: Uncertainty over National Assembly reconvening to consider INEC Budget
- Minister Dalung: A Huge Disservice to the Sports Industry
- Messi sets new Barca Trophy record
- Defection trauma: Akpabio battles for survival
- Breaking: Police boss overhauls SARS
- Touching Story Of 25yrs Old Man Trapped In A Little Child's Body
- APC Accuses Saraki & Dogara Of 'Treason' Over Refusal To Open National Assembly
- OPM Church Completes 6th Free School (Photos)
- Experts predict future drop in demand for petrol, diesel
- Nigerians to witness more darkness as power drops
- Presidency Attacks Saraki Over Meeting With Obasanjo
- Dismissed Nigerian Policeman 'Infects Lover, 5 Others With HIV'
- Female Senator Nominated As Replacement For Akpabio
- Dismissed Soldier Arrested For Hijacking Tanker With 45,000 Litres Of Diesel In Lagos
- Drama As Couple Get Married Inside A Flooded Church (Photo)
- BREAKING: Osinbajo Orders Immediate Overhaul Of SARS
- Lagos now third worst city to live
- Senators sue AGF, others over ‘plot’ to sack Saraki
- Saraki playing with high treason, says APC
- Lady Reveals How Her Bike Man Set Her Up For Robbery In Lagos
- Landlord Used "Juju" To Tie Tenants' Destiny In Lagos
- 37 NYSC Members Involved In Accident After Leaving Camp
- Kwankwaso Visits Governor Wike In Rivers (Photos)
- Driver R*pes Big Politician's Daughter, Gets Her Pregnant
- 2019: PDP accuses INEC of deadly silence over PVCs allegedly found at Daura’s home