- There is growing tension within the Nigeria Police Force (NPF)
- A group of aggrieved officers have written an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari
- The officers are alleging negligence and injustice by police authorities
Tension is brewing within the NPF as some policemen who were enlisted into the force with lower qualifications before obtaining university degrees or the Higher National Diploma have petitioned the presidency.
According to The Punch, the officers are alleging negligence and injustice by police authorities.
They claimed that after their examination and final interview for promotion to the rank of Assistant Superintendent of Police which held in 2015, the process was suddenly abandoned.
The Nigeria Police Force has been in the news lately for all the wrong reasons
Spokesman for the aggrieved police officers, Abubakar Gambo, in an open letter to president Mohammadu Buhari, appealed to the president “to use his good offices to direct that the promotion process, which had reached advanced stage before it was suspended, be completed.”
They cited Section 39 of Part IV (Appointment) of the Police Act and Regulation to support their argument.
Part of the petition read:“We wrote to the National Assembly, the Police High Command (Force Headquarters) and the Police Service Commission on the issue in February this year, but nothing concrete has been done. We are pleading that you use your good offices as the Chairman of Police Council to intervene.
“Considering the resources that have gone into the exercise, it is only good to bring it to conclusion and avoid wastage. Those that wrote the promotional examination and those who passed were interviewed by the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in their various zones and the representatives of the PSC.
“We were shocked when suddenly the police high command and the PSC abandoned the entire process to commence fresh recruitment of civilians for the ASP cadet.”
Meanwhile, the Police Service Commission (PSC) says it has no power to discipline the Inspector-General of Police.
A statement by Ikechukwu Ani, media, press and public relations officer of PSC, said that the commission would not compromise its constitutional mandate to appoint, promote and discipline officers of the NPF.
“The commission also wishes to state that its powers to do this does not cover the office of the Inspector General of Police.
“The powers of the commission are stated in paragraph 30, part 1 of the third schedule of the 1999 constitution,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- I Weep For President Buhari, His Wife Has Cried Out Endlessly - Dele Momodu
- Check Out Emirates' 'Diamond-encrusted' Airplane Going Viral Online (Photos)
- Luiz keen on Chelsea’s stay
- Oil marketers dare FG, shut down depots
- Christianity under siege in China
- Oil marketers suspend strike, gives FG 5-day grace
- Banks spend N555bn in nine months for customers’ relations
- Govenor Amosun in urgent meeting with Buhari
- Access Bank bags CBN’s Award
- 2019 Election: Senate declares public hearing on vote-buying
- AMCON says asset management partners to help recover N740bn
- DMO enlists support of sub-national entities in managing Nigeria’s rising public debt
- Brilliant Nigerian Lady Abisoye Wins CNN Heroes Awards 2018
- Sharing Trader Moni Weeks To Election Is Vote Buying - Dogara
- EFCC Reveals Why They Raided Atiku's Sons Apartment
- Nigeria's GDP Rises To 1.81% In Third Quarter, After Falling From 7% Since 2016
- Offa robbery: Police debunks report on missing stolen money
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- 2019: Buhari’s arrests Sowore’s supporters
- Riverplate Clinch Copa Libertadores After Edging Out Boca
- FIFA & France Sign Agreement on African Football
- Tinubu Is My Friend, But I'll Free Lagos From Him - Jimi Agbaje
- Seriously? Human Bones Found Buried in Front of Popular Hotel in Lagos
- See Actor Gideon Okeke Getting His Lips Stitched After Being Brutalized By Policemen In Lagos
- I Was Aspiring To Be Chief Of Staff But God Turned The Table Around - Sanwo-Olu
- Atiku's Sons Apartment Raided By EFCC In Abuja
- Senator kicks against overriding Buhari’s veto
- Buhari constitutes committee on state’s judiciary autonomy
- Woman Brutally Attacked by Robbers on Her Way from Church in Rivers (Photos)
- True Story Of Metele Attacks - Surviving Soldier Reveals What Really Happened
- Money Rituals: Man Who Asked For Human Head Busted
- Winners Members Narrowly Escape Death While Returning From Shiloh (Photos)
- Buhari Worried over 2019, to Meet APC Governors, Oshiomhole
- Shell MD Escapes Prison As Appeal Court Nullifies Sentence
- Bishop Oyedepo: 2019 Will Be Peaceful, There Will Be Change For The Better
- Stop Sealing Suspects’ Assets & Render Them Useless - Falana tells EFCC
- 2019: T.Y. Danjuma's Group Meets Today To Pick Consensus Presidential Candidate
- We Will Not Allow Saraki Humiliate Buhari On Electoral Bill - APC Senators Vow
- Trouble: Oil Marketers To Shut Down All Loading Operations By Midnight
- Akpabio: I Brought Emmanuel Udom From Lagos & Made Him Governor