Kachikwu's Memo: President Buhari Allegedly Meets Senate Committee Chairman to Prevent Indictment of Baru
- The leaked memo of Dr Ibe Kachikwu to President Muhammadu Buhari is still a hot topic across Nigeria
- The minister of state for petroleum had written the president alleging insubordination on the part of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) boss, Dr Maikanti Baru
- A Senate committee constituted to look into the issues raise is reportedly under pressure from the presidency to back down
A report by Thisday indicates that the presidency has initiated moves to ensure the NNPC boss, Dr Maikanti Baru is not indicted by the Senate ad hoc committee charged with investigating him for awarding contracts to the tune of $25 billion without recourse to the NNPC board of directors.
The nine-man committee chaired by Senator Aliyu Wamakko (Sokoto, APC) is charged with investigating Baru over the allegations raised against him.
Kachikwu's leaked memo to President Buhari accused Baru of insubordination and keeping the NNPC board chaired by Kachikwu in the dark in the award of contracts and promotion of senior executives of NNPC.
In his response to the leaked memo, Baru dismissed the allegations, saying he did not need the approval of the board, as all the contracts went through the NNPC Tenders Board, got No Objections from the Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP), and were approved by the president.
He however refrained from commenting on the issue of his appointment of senior executives of NNPC without obtaining the approval of the corporation’s board.
The Senate ad hoc committee which was supposed to hold its inaugural meeting on Tuesday, October 17, postponed it to next week Tuesday, October 24 without any reasons given.
A source quoted in the report however said President Buhari met Wamakko later that day to lobby the committee to give Baru a soft landing.
According to the source, the president was prevailed upon to personally meet with Wamakko instead of delegating the assignment to any of his aides.
“Wamakko has a reputation for being firm and straightforward. Obviously, many senators were certain of his handling of the probe with him at the helm of the committee, because he would say it as it is.
“That is why the president’s aides convinced him (Buhari) to personally meet with Wamakko to ensure that the message is clear. If not, he would have delegated someone like Abba Kyari (the president’s chief of staff), or even any of the party leaders,” the source said.
The source further said the motive behind the meeting was to ensure that Baru is not indicted by the committee and to prevent a recommendation for his removal from office.
“The motive of the meeting is to ensure that Baru is not indicted because that would make the Senate committee recommend his removal.
“Of course, most Nigerians already believe he was appointed for certain purposes and with Kyari on the board of NNPC, and the president himself as the substantive Minister of Petroleum Resources, the purpose is clear.
“So the issue now is to make sure the ‘purpose’ is not scuttled,” the source added.
Onlinenigeria.com could not independently verify if any such meeting took place, as at the time this article was posted.
Meanwhile, the Petroleum Tanker Drivers’ (PTD) branch of NUPENG of the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas (NUPENG) has dismissed the allegations in Kachikwu's letter as diversionary and deeply political.
The national chairman of PTD, Comrade Salmon Oladiti, in a statement sent to Onlinenigeria.com on Friday, October 6, warned against unnecessary politicization and promotion of certain entrenched interests in the oil industry, both in the upstream and downstream sectors, to the detriment of the nation.
Latest Nigeria News
- Tsitsipas knocks out Federer
- 25 Things Obasanjo Said About Buhari, Amina Zakari, Osinbajo
- Mourinho Has turned down three job offers already
- Manny Pacquiao sets up Mayweather rematch
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari: Nigeria Is Back To Abacha Era
- Man dies days after setting himself ablaze because of runaway wife
- Why I missed presidential debate – Buhari
- Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother burnt to death
- Experts chart focus for cyber security in 2019
- CJN Onnoghen Faces Big Challenge As FG Expands Probe
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Retired Generals Conspiring Against Buhari
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Pics Of Nigerian Captain & Pretty Fiancée
- Senior Lawyers To Tackle FG Over Action On CJN Onnoghen
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out
- APC suspends Rochas Okorocha
- Arewa people are also Lagosians, deserve recognition – Balarabe
- Stakeholders rally support for Makinde,gives testimonies of quality representation
- NAPTIP goes after 20,0000 Nigerians girls trafficked to Mali
- Bank PHB: Atiku replies Buhari, APC
- 'Yahoo Boys' Busted... N300m Mansion, $49k Seized From Them
- Why Atiku Travelled To US - Peter Obi
- Woman Stabs Female Neighbour To Death In Lagos
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Young Soldiers On Their Way To Maiduguri To Fight Boko Haram
- Fayose Reacts To Atiku's Trip To America, Hits Buhari
- Family Of LASTMA Officer Who Was Murdered On Duty Get N10m Compensation