Ibrahim Magu, the acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has raised alarm over the activities of some fraudsters using his name to extort money from governors, Ministers and national chairmen of top political parties in the country.
Exposing how they operate, Magu disclosed that those con men writes invitation letters to political office holders informing them that they were under probe.
Magu, who raised the alarm in a Facebook post on Tuesday, consequently warned political office holders to be watchful so as not to fall victims.
The anti-graft agency while dissociating itself from such letters, insisted that Magu had neither written nor mandated anyone to write any invitation letter to any state governor because they belonged to the category of officials that enjoy constitutional immunity from criminal prosecution while in office.
The post reads, “For the umpteenth time, the EFCC is constrained to alert the public to the activities of fraudsters who have been extorting money from prominent office holders, including sitting governors, ministers, and national chairmen of leading political parties, using the name of Ibrahim Magu, the acting chairman of the commission.
“Members of these criminal gangs, from available information, have been writing invitation letters to some politically-exposed persons on the pretext that such communication emanated from the office of the acting chairman of the EFCC.
“The commission has had cause to issue public disclaimers of such fraudulent letters, still the criminals are undeterred. The situation is made worse by the fact that not all recipients of such fraudulent invites had the courage to seek clarification.
“The commission urges this category of public officers to be circumspect and verify the authenticity any supposed invitation from the acting chairman of the EFCC in order not to be ensnared by fraudsters.
“Also, there have been instances in the past in which fraudsters cloned the email and Facebook accounts of the EFCC chairman and were sending messages demanding bribes from unsuspecting members of the public.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Chimamanda says Nigerians are mentally lazy
- 24 APC gives endorse Buhari for 2019
- Court sends Katsina’s ex-gov. to EFCC custody
- What Osinbajo said about security challenges while speaking at Deeeper Life new auditorium ceremony
- Trade war with US could dampens China’s economic growth – Experts
- Lawmakers fail again to pass 2018 budget
- Buhari Reacts To Headsmen Killing Of Worshippers, Pastors
- Couple Found Dead In Their Apartment In Lagos
- Top Drug Baron & Robbery Gang Leader Nabbed By SARS
- Plenty Tax Money: FIRS generates N1.17tn in just 3 months
- Foods That Can Help You Look Younger
- Dino Melaye Jumps Out Of Police Van, Move To Abuja Hospital In Ambulance (Photos)
- Buhari backs Oshiomhole against Oyegun as APC Chairman?
- Heartless Gunmen Kill 2 Priests, 14 Worshippers In Benue
- Presidency, Senate Face-Off Deepens Over Stolen Mace
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Junior Customs officers allege bias in promotion exercise
- Chinese vessels most culpable violators of Nigeria’s Waters – Navy
- Group tells Peterside to focus on MAN
- CCT sits in Bauchi; tries 55 politicians
- Police insist on taking Melaye to Kogi for trial
- Israel awards late Awolowo Certificate of Excellence
- Lagos APC: We need fresh hands, Tinubu charge party exco
- Researchers identify new form of DNA in living cells
- Naira appreciates against Dollar at parallel market
- Prioritize Africa’s youth and leapfrog traditional development paths – Tony Elumelu
- $496m controversy: Lawmakers call for Buhari’s head
- World’s first person-less bank run by humanoids opens
- Nigeria’s tiers of government share N647.39 in March
- Buhari condemns killing of priests, worshippers in Benue Church
- Lagos IGR hits N103.4bn in first quarter of 2018
- Police explain why Dino Melaye was arrested for interrogation
- Massive corruption evident under Buhari, says US report
- Melaye jumps out of police van, lands in hospital
- Order Saraki, Melaye, others to refund ‘illegal N13.5m allowance with interest’ – SERAP tells court
- Nigeria, Saudi Arabia in faceoff over attempts to block pilgrims
- Boateng: We can only stop Ronaldo as a team
- New corps members’ allowance dependent on new minimum wage – DG
- NSE marks Earth Day, seals corporate recycling MoU with RecyclePoints limited
- NCC withdraws 41m Starcomms, Zoom mobile, others numbers