The Federal Ministry of Health has said the Monkeypox samples obtained from Lagos State tested negative.
Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, said this during a press conference in Abuja on Monday.
Adewole said, “As of October 13, 2017, there were 17 SUSPECTED cases reported from Yenagoa LGA in Bayelsa State.
“We have received laboratory confirmation for Monkeypox virus from three of these cases from the WHO Regional Laboratory in Dakar, Senegal. Samples from 12 other cases from Bayelsa were negative.
“With these results, four suspected Monkeypox outbreak in Yenagoa have been confirmed with laboratory evidence. The most likely source of infection is a primary zoonotic transmission, from an animal, with secondary person-to-person transmission.
“Since our initial announcement, a total of 43 other SUSPECTED cases have been reported from eight other States (Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Ekiti, Lagos, Enugu, Nasarawa, Rivers, and FCT). Of these, four cases from Lagos have also been tested and confirmed to be negative for the Monkeypox virus.
“We expect that many of these cases being reported from other states in Nigeria are not caused by the Monkeypox virus, but we will continue to investigate all those cases that fit the case definition.
“Further laboratory tests using whole genome sequencing are being carried out by the Africa Centre for Genomics and Infectious Diseases in Redeemers University Ede, Ogun State.”
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP Will Never Come Back To Aso Rock, says Osinbajo
- Shock As Newly Married Lady Falls To Her Death While Taking Special Photo
- Muslim Woman Donates Wrappers To Christian Widows For Christmas Celebration
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NFF fails to promote NNL clubs that made me resigned —Olopade
- NSF: Charity Izevbokun wins first Gold For Edo — Kehinde Osagiede
- We will strive to raise the bar as the best tournament in Nigeria – Inuwa.
- We will prepare hard and take our chances – Dennerby
- Team Anambra target is ten gold medals —- Emeka Egbutu
- WAFU Cup: Flying Eagles up against Junior Mena
- FG, Abia sign definitive agreements Enyimba Economic City
- FRSC worries about Kaduna-Abuja roads
- 2019: Obasanjo insists he wants Buhari out
- South Africa, Cameroon not downcast
- Only A Fool Will Be Neutral When Nigeria Suffer Incompetence & Nepotism – Obasanjo
- Court May Compel Buhari To Investigate Ganduje's Dollar Bribe
- Electoral Amendment: Majority leader backs Buhari
- Northern Leaders Withdraw Support for Buhari over Revelation by his wife, Aisha?
- Police Beat Up Popular Actor Gideon Okeke In Lagos (Photos)
- Man Disgraced As He Was Caught Trying To Steal Ladies' Pant For Money Ritual in Delta
- FG states resolve on INEC’s security
- Super Falcons to know World Cup foes
- Beach Soccer AFCON: Supersand Eagles tackle Senegal
- Father Mbaka ‘Escapes’ Assassination
- Atiku As 2019 Consensus Candidate: PDP Moves To Get Other Parties' Support
- David De Gea is ranked best goalkeeper
- 19th NSF games schedule for Saturday as 23 events go down today
- Team Anambra should stay together to win —-Tony Oli
- NAPF President, Babaginda bails out ailing former Footballer
- Salah sets Liverpool record
- Women’s World Cup draw pits England against Scotland
- I’m in National team to build my profile, not for money—- Aigbogun
- NSF: Loveth Aboki gives Edo first medal in Power lifting
- Honest Security Guard Praised For Returning Lost Wallet Filled With Cash In Abuja
- Tinubu Showers Family Of Late 'Baba Sala' With Cash
- Serious Air Tragedy Averted As Plane Tyres Refuse To Eject In PH Airport While Landing
- Electoral Act: National Assembly Plans To Override Buhari
- Reactions Trailing Freezing Of Peter Obi’s Accounts
- APC Headquarters In Dilemma Over Amosun, Okorocha
- Forget The Past, Vote Buhari, Sanwo-Olu – Ambode