The Federal Ministry of Health has said the Monkeypox samples obtained from Lagos State tested negative.
Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, said this during a press conference in Abuja on Monday.
Adewole said, “As of October 13, 2017, there were 17 SUSPECTED cases reported from Yenagoa LGA in Bayelsa State.
“We have received laboratory confirmation for Monkeypox virus from three of these cases from the WHO Regional Laboratory in Dakar, Senegal. Samples from 12 other cases from Bayelsa were negative.
“With these results, four suspected Monkeypox outbreak in Yenagoa have been confirmed with laboratory evidence. The most likely source of infection is a primary zoonotic transmission, from an animal, with secondary person-to-person transmission.
“Since our initial announcement, a total of 43 other SUSPECTED cases have been reported from eight other States (Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Ekiti, Lagos, Enugu, Nasarawa, Rivers, and FCT). Of these, four cases from Lagos have also been tested and confirmed to be negative for the Monkeypox virus.
“We expect that many of these cases being reported from other states in Nigeria are not caused by the Monkeypox virus, but we will continue to investigate all those cases that fit the case definition.
“Further laboratory tests using whole genome sequencing are being carried out by the Africa Centre for Genomics and Infectious Diseases in Redeemers University Ede, Ogun State.”
Latest Nigeria News
- SP shoots dead ex-finance minister’s daughter; family suspects something else
- “N230m bursary to 5,393 Ondo students—dividend of democracy”
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Police Saved Man's Life After Heath Challenge While Driving
- Woman Gives Birth While In A Coma, Wakes Up 23 Days After To See Baby In Her Arms (Photos)
- INEC Chairman Gives Update On APC Position In Zamfara
- So Boko Haram Finally Killed This Beautiful Lady?
- Fayose: I’m Storming EFCC Today With My Bedclothes, Bible...
- Man Kidnaps His Cheating Girlfriend’s Mother
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Dragged To Court By FG
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: My Life Is Under Threat
- APC Aspirants: Many Unpopular Candidates Will Affect Buhari
- Newlywed Killed 5 Days After Wedding While On Honeymoon With Wife (Photo)
- Buhari Is A Misfit, He Has To Leave In 2019 – Tambuwal
- Story Of Woman Who Suffered 35 Miscarriages In 7 Years
- Atiku Meets Jonathan To Strategize For 2019 Election (Photos)
- Married Woman Bites Off Landlord's Lips (Photo)
- “Fayose to be detained indefinitely”
- Ekiti State ready to hijack Gold Cup Tourney from Benue State
- Akinwunmi encourage Super Eagles in Tunisia
- Makoko: Coalition of Civil Society Organizations task Ambode on police invasion, issues 21 days ultimatum
- NCC to sanction illegal auto tracking solutions providers
- Your candidacy not a meal ticket, Obasa counsels colleagues
- Shittu battles NYSC as Buhari waits for minister’s resignation
- Customs generates over N1b in 2 months
- Exam malpractice: Diarrhea prevents Adeleke from showing up in court; judge orders IGP to ensure arraignment
- IG of Police opposes demotion of officers by PSC Chairman
- 2019: Tinubu battles Amosun to regain South West leadership
- Pretty Lady Grabs Her Man Who Tries To Run In Pre-Wedding Photoshoot
- NERC to put limits on estimated billings
- Buhari explains why he bans 50 high-profile Nigerians
- You’re too arrogant, First Lady tells President
- Kalu speaks on his goal for Super Eagles
- Ocean Boys crown Champions Bayelsa Football League
- Leaked Bribe Videos: Impeachment Looms As Kano Assembly Begins Probe Of Governor
- IGP Orders Arrest Of Policemen Over Murder Of Abuja Lady
- Kukah: How I Convinced Obasanjo To End Feud With Atiku
- Shittu Drags APC To Court For Disqualifying Him Over NYSC
- Minister allays fear over Nigeria’s rising debt portfolio
- Travel ban, not political weapon against opposition- Presidency