- The group asked President Buhari to take action against some ministers accused of corruption under his administration
- The activist movement, however, invited all Nigerians to participate in the protest in order to pressure the government to take action against corruption in the country
An activist movement, #OurMumuDonDo, on Sunday, October 15, announced its plans to begin a daily sit-out on Tuesday, October 17.
According to Sahara Reporters, the the group is demanding that President Muhammadu Buhari take action against officials in his administration who have been accused of corruption.
The group, however, called attention to Ibe Kachikwu’s letter to Buhari alleging that Maikanti Baru, the group managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) had entered into contracts worth $26 billion without following due process.
We gathered that the activist movement also highlighted other high-profile corruption cases that have surfaced over the past two years, including the $43m found in an Ikoyi apartment hidden by the suspended director of the national intelligence agency.
Other cases mentioned by the group include the mismanagement of funds for internally displaced persons in the northeast by the suspended Babachir Lawal, the secretary general of the federation, Senator Isah Missau’s allegation of bribery against Ibrahim Idris, the inspector general of police, and allegations of corrupt enrichment to the tune of N40bn against Kayode Fayemi, the minister of mines and steel development.
OurMumuDonDo said: “During the course of these weighty allegations, Nigerians had expected that President Buhari would fulfill his campaign promises of fighting corruption by ensuring the swift investigation, arrest and prosecution of any person so suspected of looting the public treasury.
‘’We are, however, dismayed by the apathy displayed in this regard by the federal government.’’
The group insisted to commence a daily sit-out at Unity Fountain in Abuja starting at 9:00 a.m on Tuesday, October 17.
The group’s chairman, Charles Oputa, aka Charly Boy, invited all Nigerians to participate in the protest in order to pressure the government to take action against corruption.
Latest Nigeria News
- Chelsea criticize Moses over poor performance against Croatia
- Night guards shot at us as we acted a robbery scene – Micheal Kalu
- Emir Sanusi taps Moghalu as Nigeria’s next president
- Redeemers begin political campaign towards 2019
- Activist sues EFCC, Oshiomhole over corruption allegations
- Manchester United ready £60million bid for Willian
- EU retains ban on Medview aircraft
- SERAP sues Fashola over failure to account for electricity spendings
- Southern, Middle Belt Forum raises alarm over registration of foreigners by INEC for 2019 elections
- Bizarre: 25-year-old woman gives birth to 24-year-old baby
- Female Corper R*ped By 15 Armed Men... she's in critical condition
- Peaceful Elections: Rivers PDP Chairman Urges INEC, Security Agencies To Learn From Rivers Experience
- Former President's Wife Dies In Fatal Accident, Many Inured
- Marriage That You Password Your Phone & Hide It From Your Spouse Is A Fake Marriage
- Super Eagles' Winning Bonus Increased By $5,000 To Spur Them To Victory
- Father Meets His Biological Son First Time In 50 Years After DNA Test Confirmation
- Oil prices drop on US-China trade war
- N223m fraud: Senators tackle ex-SGF over innocence claim
- Tension as APC meets to ratify delegates’ list for convention
- I Left Nigeria Rich, Returned Miserable – Returnee
- Faces of men caught over attempted kidnap of female Customs Deputy Comptroller
- Lai Mohammed Says Buhari Is Transforming Nigeria
- Arrested One-Chance Robbers Hit Victim With Hammer; Say "we're surprised he died"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Prevent Leg Cramps During A Long Journey
- Female Soldier Who Escaped Attack On Her Wedding Day Dies In Fatal Accident (Photo)
- Notorious Sea Pirates Terrorizing Nigerians Finally Caught
- Lagos Landlord Slumps, Dies After Disagreement With Tenant
- Ex-PDP Chairman Makarfi battles Atiku for PDP presidential ticket
- Another Deadly Attack By Boko Haram; Over 30 Killed
- Dozens killed in fresh Boko Haram attack
- 2019: Makarfi to contest with Atiku, others for PDP presidential ticket
- Group warns of planned attacks on Agip oil facilities
- TCN gives reasons for epileptic power supply
- APC disqualifies 19 aspirants from convention
- APC in Rivers solidly behind Amaechi – Peterside
- Arrested “herdsmen” finger politicians as sponsors
- Nigerian Air Force bombs communities in Benue
- “Buhari’s govt is the most transparent”
- Happy Father's Day