- The family alleged that operatives of the Nigerian army looted valuables from their son’s home during a raid on October 8
- Kanu family claimed to have in their possession a video of army looting the IPOB leader's home
The saga concerning the army's invasion of Nnamdi Kanu's house continues as the family of the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra petitioned the United Nations, the European Union and other foreign countries, alleging that operatives of the Nigerian army looted valuables from their son’s home during a raid on October 8.
The petition was signed Ifeanyi Ejiofor, Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyer on behalf of the traditional head of Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia, in Abia state, and Kanu’s father, Eze Isreal Okwu-Kanu.
Nnamdi Kanu's family, in separate letters sent by Ejiofor to the international bodies and foreign countries, claimed that the “CCTV footage” attached to the said letters “picked” the alleged looting by Nigerian soldiers and policemen, Sahara Reporters reports.
The media outlet also claimed the said CCTV recordings were not made available to them.
The letter read in part: “We are solicitors to the family of His Royal Majesty, Eze Isreal Okwu-Kanu, hereinafter referred to as ‘our client’ and on whose standing instruction we file this communication with the British government.
“It is our brief, that on the 8th day of October, 2017, our client’s son’s home (Nnamdi Kanu) in Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia, in Abia State was invaded, and violently looted by rampaging Nigerian soldiers and their police counterparts.
“The CCTV footage which picked the horrendous raids, revealed the brazen looting and carting away of valuables and household equipment by the above named security agents.”
The separate letters were addressed to the Resident Representatives of UN and EU, the US Ambassador, the Russian Ambassador to Nigeria, the High Commissioner of the British High Commission; and the High Commissioner, the Canadian High Commission.
A copy of the letter sent to the British High Commission, Kanu's lawyer claimed that the IPOB leader has not been seen since the invasion of the family home on September 14, 2017.
The letter added that the IPOB leader might have been killed during the military operation.
“The raid and consequent looting in the home of our client’s son, (a British citizen) by the soldiers and their police counterparts does not enjoy the protection, backing, and legitimacy of any known legislative enactment in Nigeria.
“It is, therefore, not unlikely, that he may have been killed in the well-coordinated bloody onslaught in his home. The attached CCTV footage picked clearly the horrendous activity of these rampaging security personnel in the home of our client,” the letter read in part.
The army spokesperson, Brig Gen. Sani Usman, however, could not be reached for comments as his mobile rang out and he is yet to reply to a text sent to him as of the time of filing this report.
Emmanuel Kanu, a brother to the missing leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, dismissed the allegation and urged well meaning people to ask the police how the weapons that were allegedly recovered from the house got there.
Latest Nigeria News
- Messi, Ronaldo joins force to judge new U21 Ballon d’Or award
- FIRS makes N12.66bn from tax defaulters, to freeze 6,772 accounts
- Okonjo-Iweala raises concern over rising debt profile of Nigeria, others
- Missing Lady Escapes From Kidnappers/Ritualist In Lagos
- Nigerian Traders Protest Over Ghanaian Authorities' Harassment
- Adebayo Shittu To Be Sued For Admitting Skipping NYSC
- See What This Woman Did To Her Housegirl With Hot Knife
- Former INEC Chairman Reacts: "Osun Election Was Conclusive"
- Tanker Driver Bashes Police Van While Being Chased
- See Father With His 3 Children Who Are All Medical Doctors
- FRSC Recruitment: Applicant Faints, Others In Critical Condition
- Senator Adeleke Reacts To The Osun Election Outcome
- Nigeria's First Female Banker, Sarah Adenike, Dies
- Obasanjo Took Nigeria Out Of Debt But We Are Back In Debt
- Dangote Trailer Set On Fire In Delta After Killing Bike Man, Father and His Daughter
- UN canonises the dictator of Nigeria
- Man Peeping At His Fiancee In Bathroom Pre-Wedding Photos
- Fire Guts Ibrahim Shekarau's House In Kano (Photo)
- Osun Inconclusive Election: What PDP Should Do – Lawyer
- Married Woman Returns To Secondary School In Enugu
- You're A Fool If You Voted For APC In Osun State - Leke Adeboye
- Pre-Wedding Photo Of A Police Officer and A Nurse
- Osun Rerun: How Omisore could help Tinubu, APC retain Osun on Thursday
- No live lost in Confluence Queens car accident
- Bring all football family together, NMJ charges newly elected board
- Nigeria Cadets Handball Team qualify for World Championship
- Ruthless Enyimba zoom to semi final of CAF Confederation cup
- Pinnick hails Enyimba, demands self-belief against Raja
- Cristiano Ronaldo will not attend Best Gala
- Osun Rerun Election: PDP To Join Forces With Omisore, Others
- Pregnant Woman, Husband Dies After Eating Poisoned Food... rats also eat the food and die
- Oshiomhole’s Former Spokesman Decamps To PDP
- Billionaire Tax Debtors: FIRS Recovers Over N12bn
- Husband Stabs Neighbour Who Tried To Settle Him & His Wife
- APC Is Losing As All They Talk Is Corruption, Without Performing – Junaid
- Woman Arrested For Bitting Her Own House-help
- Massive Floods Kill Over 100 Nigerians In Few Weeks
- Tinunu's Boys "Defeat" By Dancing Senator: How Will It Affect His Power In Lagos?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ambode Gives N500 Million To 275 CDAs In Lagos (Photos)