- The family alleged that operatives of the Nigerian army looted valuables from their son’s home during a raid on October 8
- Kanu family claimed to have in their possession a video of army looting the IPOB leader's home
The saga concerning the army's invasion of Nnamdi Kanu's house continues as the family of the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra petitioned the United Nations, the European Union and other foreign countries, alleging that operatives of the Nigerian army looted valuables from their son’s home during a raid on October 8.
The petition was signed Ifeanyi Ejiofor, Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyer on behalf of the traditional head of Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia, in Abia state, and Kanu’s father, Eze Isreal Okwu-Kanu.
Nnamdi Kanu's family, in separate letters sent by Ejiofor to the international bodies and foreign countries, claimed that the “CCTV footage” attached to the said letters “picked” the alleged looting by Nigerian soldiers and policemen, Sahara Reporters reports.
The media outlet also claimed the said CCTV recordings were not made available to them.
The letter read in part: “We are solicitors to the family of His Royal Majesty, Eze Isreal Okwu-Kanu, hereinafter referred to as ‘our client’ and on whose standing instruction we file this communication with the British government.
“It is our brief, that on the 8th day of October, 2017, our client’s son’s home (Nnamdi Kanu) in Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia, in Abia State was invaded, and violently looted by rampaging Nigerian soldiers and their police counterparts.
“The CCTV footage which picked the horrendous raids, revealed the brazen looting and carting away of valuables and household equipment by the above named security agents.”
The separate letters were addressed to the Resident Representatives of UN and EU, the US Ambassador, the Russian Ambassador to Nigeria, the High Commissioner of the British High Commission; and the High Commissioner, the Canadian High Commission.
A copy of the letter sent to the British High Commission, Kanu's lawyer claimed that the IPOB leader has not been seen since the invasion of the family home on September 14, 2017.
The letter added that the IPOB leader might have been killed during the military operation.
“The raid and consequent looting in the home of our client’s son, (a British citizen) by the soldiers and their police counterparts does not enjoy the protection, backing, and legitimacy of any known legislative enactment in Nigeria.
“It is, therefore, not unlikely, that he may have been killed in the well-coordinated bloody onslaught in his home. The attached CCTV footage picked clearly the horrendous activity of these rampaging security personnel in the home of our client,” the letter read in part.
The army spokesperson, Brig Gen. Sani Usman, however, could not be reached for comments as his mobile rang out and he is yet to reply to a text sent to him as of the time of filing this report.
Emmanuel Kanu, a brother to the missing leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, dismissed the allegation and urged well meaning people to ask the police how the weapons that were allegedly recovered from the house got there.
Latest Nigeria News
- Delta big boy 'Solo Pounds' nabbed for Yahoo, Armed Robbery in Ghana (Photos)
- Buhari: I've asked EFCC to account for every money recovered
- See How Woman Overpowered Thief Trying To Rob Her
- "My Wife's Money Demands Turned Me To Criminal" - Suspect Arrested In Lagos
- Popular Millionaire "Kills" Single Mother During S*x
- Buhari appoints fresh blood in CBN
- Buhari appoints new heads agencies, parastatals
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ladies Stop Turning Us Down, We Earn More Than Many Men Wearing Suit - Keke Driver
- Suspected Lagos Yahoo-Boy Arraigned, Remanded In Prison
- CAN meets Buhari, says APC turning hiding place for corrupt politicians
- Dollar Bribe: Oshiomhole Cries Out Over Moves To Nail Him
- How S*x Outside Marriage Is Exposing People To Demons
- Buhari Reacts: Igbo leaders’ endorsement of Atiku can't stand
- Beware Of Six Factors That Ruin Marriages
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Meet In Aso Rock Over 2019
- Workers Running Out of Patience Over New Minimum Wage
- Shehu Sani Slams Governors Who Say They Can't Pay N30k
- My Vision For Better Nigeria Achievable - Buhari
- Married Female Banker Steals Customer’s N8Million In Abuja
- Why Atiku will not stay beyond 4 years as President- Aide
- Court orders Trump to restore press pass of CNN reporter
- Total National Division 1 dunks off November 27
- Volleyball: Nimrod attends FIVB Congress in Mexico
- FIFA approves Stephen Okechukwu Keshi Stadium, Asaba for Uganda friendly
- Rohr: Injuries, suspensions mean opportunities for others
- Revealed! See how much Nigeria’s political officers earn
- Onyekuru sued by baby mama over child support payment
- Super Eagles/Uganda friendly :Ikpeba,Yobo, others storm Asaba
- APC leadership style, an enduring legacy – Kasunmu
- I have only 75k in my account- Efe BBNaija admits
- NGO raises funds for cancer patients
- AfDB President speaks on Buhari’s hardline on Africa Free Trade agreement
- Dollar appreciates as Brexit deal suffers setback
- FG to set up special Banks for petty traders
- Buhari extends Seplat’s OMLs to 2038
- Buhari makes new appointments
- Don't Die Till Our Strike Is Over - Mortuary Staff Tells Ghanains
- Tope Alabi & Husband Celebrate Wedding Anniversary
- Comedian I Go Dye Writes Open Letter To President Buhari