- The family alleged that operatives of the Nigerian army looted valuables from their son’s home during a raid on October 8
- Kanu family claimed to have in their possession a video of army looting the IPOB leader's home
The saga concerning the army's invasion of Nnamdi Kanu's house continues as the family of the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra petitioned the United Nations, the European Union and other foreign countries, alleging that operatives of the Nigerian army looted valuables from their son’s home during a raid on October 8.
The petition was signed Ifeanyi Ejiofor, Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyer on behalf of the traditional head of Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia, in Abia state, and Kanu’s father, Eze Isreal Okwu-Kanu.
Nnamdi Kanu's family, in separate letters sent by Ejiofor to the international bodies and foreign countries, claimed that the “CCTV footage” attached to the said letters “picked” the alleged looting by Nigerian soldiers and policemen, Sahara Reporters reports.
The media outlet also claimed the said CCTV recordings were not made available to them.
The letter read in part: “We are solicitors to the family of His Royal Majesty, Eze Isreal Okwu-Kanu, hereinafter referred to as ‘our client’ and on whose standing instruction we file this communication with the British government.
“It is our brief, that on the 8th day of October, 2017, our client’s son’s home (Nnamdi Kanu) in Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia, in Abia State was invaded, and violently looted by rampaging Nigerian soldiers and their police counterparts.
“The CCTV footage which picked the horrendous raids, revealed the brazen looting and carting away of valuables and household equipment by the above named security agents.”
The separate letters were addressed to the Resident Representatives of UN and EU, the US Ambassador, the Russian Ambassador to Nigeria, the High Commissioner of the British High Commission; and the High Commissioner, the Canadian High Commission.
A copy of the letter sent to the British High Commission, Kanu's lawyer claimed that the IPOB leader has not been seen since the invasion of the family home on September 14, 2017.
The letter added that the IPOB leader might have been killed during the military operation.
“The raid and consequent looting in the home of our client’s son, (a British citizen) by the soldiers and their police counterparts does not enjoy the protection, backing, and legitimacy of any known legislative enactment in Nigeria.
“It is, therefore, not unlikely, that he may have been killed in the well-coordinated bloody onslaught in his home. The attached CCTV footage picked clearly the horrendous activity of these rampaging security personnel in the home of our client,” the letter read in part.
The army spokesperson, Brig Gen. Sani Usman, however, could not be reached for comments as his mobile rang out and he is yet to reply to a text sent to him as of the time of filing this report.
Emmanuel Kanu, a brother to the missing leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, dismissed the allegation and urged well meaning people to ask the police how the weapons that were allegedly recovered from the house got there.
Latest Nigeria News
- World’s most wanted players are in Chelsea, PSG
- Med-view workers seek PenCom intervention over entitlements
- Nigerian Govt begins enrolment of military personnel on IPPIS
- The bitter truth about France lifting World Cup 2018
- 7 Challenges that will kill or make Ronaldo this season
- 2006 World Cup final: Why I sent off Zidane – Referee
- President Buhari’s war on terror; a grand deception
- The Ekiti election and 2019
- Neymar’s does underground work for Barcelona
- “Boko Haram: I receive N5,000 for facilitating each suicide bomb attack”
- "I'm Still In APC" - Governor Ortom says after meeting Oshiomhole
- Woman Finds Rat Trapped In Her Shop With Ring Round Its Neck
- Saraki "Bows" As He Meets Buhari, Osinbajo, APC Governors
- Rowdy Session In Senate Over 'Lopsided Appointments' By Buhari
- "I Want To Go Back To Prison To Rest" – Thief Nabbed In Lagos
- Agency In Abuja "Spent" Over N5bn On Fuel, DSTV Subscription
- Ekiti Governor-Elect Fayemi Visits President Buhari In Aso Rock
- Buhari Appoints Ex-CBN Deputy Governor, Tunde Lemo, As FERMA Chairman
- Woman Who Just Got Married Killed In Katsina Flood, Body Found In Niger Republic
- Dino Melaye Ignores Threats, Commissions Projects In Kogi (Pics)
- We Fear For 2019: Ekiti Election Was For The Highest Bidder, says Anti-Corruption Group
- How Robber Charmed SARS Operatives To Escape From Custody - Robber's Girlfriend
- British Man Plots To Kill Female Prime Minister (Pics & Details)
- Tanker Loaded With Petrol Falls & Spills Content In Lagos; Apapa Residents Raise Alarm
- Finally, FG unveils name, logo of new national carrier
- STRANGE! Female Student Becomes 'Possessed' During Lecture, Loses Consciousness
- All PDP Presidential Aspirants Meet Gov. Tambuwal In Sokoto
- APC crisis: 9 Governors, 31 Senators, 54 Reps, behind R-APC to unseat Buhari
- Another letter: OBJ attacks Buhari again
- Bride drowned in Katisna flood found in Niger Republic
- APC Replies PDP: We Dare You To Go To Court With Your Facts
- 2019: Saraki Meets 4 Governors, Top Politicians; To Dump APC?
- Married Woman Dies After Surgery To Increase Her Buttocks, Doctor On The Run
- Police Dismiss Inspector For Giving Out Information...
- Police Helicopter Threatening My Life - Fayose
- "This Is My First Time" - Kidnapper Begs, Reveals How Much He Got
- See The All New 2019 Honda Pilot (Photos)
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo Declares To Contest For Governor In Enugu Under APC
- Most Wanted Armed Robber 'Agbara' Shot Dead By Police
- APC crisis: Secondus woes Gemade, Saraki, Tambuwal, Ortom, Ahmed