- The family alleged that operatives of the Nigerian army looted valuables from their son’s home during a raid on October 8
- Kanu family claimed to have in their possession a video of army looting the IPOB leader's home
The saga concerning the army's invasion of Nnamdi Kanu's house continues as the family of the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra petitioned the United Nations, the European Union and other foreign countries, alleging that operatives of the Nigerian army looted valuables from their son’s home during a raid on October 8.
The petition was signed Ifeanyi Ejiofor, Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyer on behalf of the traditional head of Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia, in Abia state, and Kanu’s father, Eze Isreal Okwu-Kanu.
Nnamdi Kanu's family, in separate letters sent by Ejiofor to the international bodies and foreign countries, claimed that the “CCTV footage” attached to the said letters “picked” the alleged looting by Nigerian soldiers and policemen, Sahara Reporters reports.
The media outlet also claimed the said CCTV recordings were not made available to them.
The letter read in part: “We are solicitors to the family of His Royal Majesty, Eze Isreal Okwu-Kanu, hereinafter referred to as ‘our client’ and on whose standing instruction we file this communication with the British government.
“It is our brief, that on the 8th day of October, 2017, our client’s son’s home (Nnamdi Kanu) in Afaraukwu Ibeku, Umuahia, in Abia State was invaded, and violently looted by rampaging Nigerian soldiers and their police counterparts.
“The CCTV footage which picked the horrendous raids, revealed the brazen looting and carting away of valuables and household equipment by the above named security agents.”
The separate letters were addressed to the Resident Representatives of UN and EU, the US Ambassador, the Russian Ambassador to Nigeria, the High Commissioner of the British High Commission; and the High Commissioner, the Canadian High Commission.
A copy of the letter sent to the British High Commission, Kanu's lawyer claimed that the IPOB leader has not been seen since the invasion of the family home on September 14, 2017.
The letter added that the IPOB leader might have been killed during the military operation.
“The raid and consequent looting in the home of our client’s son, (a British citizen) by the soldiers and their police counterparts does not enjoy the protection, backing, and legitimacy of any known legislative enactment in Nigeria.
“It is, therefore, not unlikely, that he may have been killed in the well-coordinated bloody onslaught in his home. The attached CCTV footage picked clearly the horrendous activity of these rampaging security personnel in the home of our client,” the letter read in part.
The army spokesperson, Brig Gen. Sani Usman, however, could not be reached for comments as his mobile rang out and he is yet to reply to a text sent to him as of the time of filing this report.
Emmanuel Kanu, a brother to the missing leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, dismissed the allegation and urged well meaning people to ask the police how the weapons that were allegedly recovered from the house got there.
Latest Nigeria News
- Tsitsipas knocks out Federer
- 25 Things Obasanjo Said About Buhari, Amina Zakari, Osinbajo
- Mourinho Has turned down three job offers already
- Manny Pacquiao sets up Mayweather rematch
- Obasanjo Hits Buhari: Nigeria Is Back To Abacha Era
- Man dies days after setting himself ablaze because of runaway wife
- Why I missed presidential debate – Buhari
- Jimoh Ibrahim’s mother burnt to death
- Experts chart focus for cyber security in 2019
- CJN Onnoghen Faces Big Challenge As FG Expands Probe
- Oshiomhole Cries Out: Retired Generals Conspiring Against Buhari
- Beautiful Pre-wedding Pics Of Nigerian Captain & Pretty Fiancée
- Senior Lawyers To Tackle FG Over Action On CJN Onnoghen
- Nigerian Lady Goes With Her Mother To Pack Husband's Property After Collapsed Marriage
- Faces Of Alleged Top Yahoo Boys Nabbed With Porsche & Other Expensive Rides
- Nigerian Man Dies In Accident, A Day To His Wife's Burial
- How Customs, Police Officers Released Truck Load of Codein After Receiving Bribe
- Atiku Get To Debate Venue, Didn't See Buhari, Then Walk Away... Challenges Mr President
- Billionaire Jimoh Ibrahim's Mother Burnt To Death In Candle Fire
- Lagos Businessman Said To Have Committed Suicide Over R*pe Saga Is In Coma?
- Buhari, APC Frustrated Over Atiku's Trip To US - Party
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Police, Army, in show of force in Lagos
- Atiku challenge Buhari to open debate
- APC, PDP two bad sides of a coin, says Durotoye
- Atiku Arrives Nigeria From US, Received By Supporters (Photos)
- FG plots CJN Onnoghen removal ahead of trial
- APC Jos campaign boils over as Buhari takes back door out
- APC suspends Rochas Okorocha
- Arewa people are also Lagosians, deserve recognition – Balarabe
- Stakeholders rally support for Makinde,gives testimonies of quality representation
- NAPTIP goes after 20,0000 Nigerians girls trafficked to Mali
- Bank PHB: Atiku replies Buhari, APC
- 'Yahoo Boys' Busted... N300m Mansion, $49k Seized From Them
- Why Atiku Travelled To US - Peter Obi
- Woman Stabs Female Neighbour To Death In Lagos
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- Young Soldiers On Their Way To Maiduguri To Fight Boko Haram
- Fayose Reacts To Atiku's Trip To America, Hits Buhari
- Family Of LASTMA Officer Who Was Murdered On Duty Get N10m Compensation