President Muhammadu Buhari and the Comptroller-General of Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Col. Hameed Ali (rtd) are billed to travel to Turkey for a bilateral meeting with the authorities of Turkish Customs Service, it was learnt yesterday.
According to Deputy Comptroller-General, Aminu Dangaladima, the meeting’s aim is to put an end to the importation of deadly weapons from Turkey.
It will be recalled that the service last month announced the seizure of 2,671 pump action rifles illegally imported from Turkey into Nigeria.
Owing to the seizure, Turkish Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Halal. Cakil, vowed on September 26 that his country would fish out the brains behind the shipping of illegal arms into Nigeria.
Addressing journalists in Abuja yesterday, Dangaladima said: “Let me seize this opportunity to impromptu you that we are making progress on investigation into the illegal arms importation.
“More arrests have been made and the CGC will be on the entourage of Mr. President to Turkey for sideline bilateral meeting with the Turkish customs authorities.
“This is with the aim of permanently putting an end to such deadly importations from Turkey.”
He revealed that on October 10, the NCS operatives seized 27 Toyota Hilux pick-up vehicles worth N432 million.
His words: “On Wednesday 10th October, 2017, based on credible intelligence, operatives of the NCS Compliance Team went to two open car stands along Kubwa Expressway in the Federal Capital Territory and evacuated 27 Toyota Hilux pick-up vehicles suspected to be smuggled into the country. These vehicles have estimated Duty Paid Value (DPV) of over N432 million.”
He urged the owners of the vehicles to come forward with valid Customs clearance documents, otherwise they will be liable to seizure and subsequent forfeiture to the federal government in line with the laws of the land.
Dangaladima recalled that last month, Ali, while briefing the media on the interception of exotic vehicles, 18 of which were bullet proof, said that the service under his leadership would enforce the powers given in the Customs and Excise Management Act (CEMA) effectively.
He said that being in possession of smuggled items is an offences under Section 3 of Customs and Excise Act Cap 47 Laws of Federation of Nigeria 2004.
Latest Nigeria News
- Four SARS Officers Arrested For Kidnapping & Extorting N7Million From Bishop
- PDP Chairman Shot Dead In Lagos (Photo)
- Photos From Olu Jacobs Son's White Wedding
- UNILAG Female Student Declared Missing
- Woman Loses Husband, 3 Kids & 5 Relatives In Boat Accident
- Drunk Man Ordered For 11 Plates Of Food Mistakenly
- “I Am Guilty As Charged" - Lagos Fake Medical Doctor Confesses
- APC Chairman Oshiomhole Visits R-APC Chairman At Night
- Popular Croatian President Painting Her Own House (Photos)
- LAUTECH Increases School Fees To N300,000 From N120k
- Billionaire Femi Otedola Buys Daughter 2018 Range Rover
- Open letter to governor Godwin Obaseki
- Minister Escapes Death In Fatal Accident, Driver Burnt
- Rainy Season: Top 7 Tips On Staying Safe During A Flood
- "We Don't Want To Lose Saraki, Dogara, Others" - APC ready to meet their demands
- PDP chairman rates Atiku candidacy in opposition party
- Dancing Senator Adeleke Wins Osun PDP Governorship Ticket
- Dino Melaye Cries Out: "They Want To Kill Me"
- PDP Engages Top SAN To Lead Battle Against APC's Fayemi
- Good Man Drowns After Rescuing Pregnant Woman
- Buhari, Oshiomhole Upsetting R-APC Defection Plan?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Fun Facts You Didn't Know About Passports
- Woman Sets House On Fire Because She Was Not Invited To A Party
- This New Pocket-sized Drone Takes Selfie To A New Level
- Story of Nigerian Billionaire Who Owns 5 Airports In The UK
- Midnight Fire Razes Hundreds Of Shops In Jos Main Market
- Saraki Rejects Buhari's Plea? Summons Loyalist On Defection
- Nursing Mother and Her Kids Arrested After Her Husband Bought A Stolen Phone
- Gowon stirs Buhari anger as he suspects unwillingness of FG, Nigerian Army, other security agencies to curb killer herdsmen, Miyetti Allah
- Lagos gets FIBA nod as 2019 World Cup qualifiers host
- Enyimba’s July return to Aba shifted
- DIAMOND GOLDEN: Okagbare Manages 8 out of 8 spots
- NFF Dispute: In search of honour for our Otunba and Distinguished Senator
- Ronaldo ‘accepts’ two-year suspended prison sentence
- FF President appoints Obasi,Martins PS ,senior communication officer
- Buhari orders Dalung to resolve NFF crisis or resign
- I didn’t sign any petition against Warri Wolves —Etebo
- Dalung convoy involved in accident in Gombe
- 19-year-old man stabs 18-year-old girlfriend to death in Edo