President Muhammadu Buhari and the Comptroller-General of Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Col. Hameed Ali (rtd) are billed to travel to Turkey for a bilateral meeting with the authorities of Turkish Customs Service, it was learnt yesterday.
According to Deputy Comptroller-General, Aminu Dangaladima, the meeting’s aim is to put an end to the importation of deadly weapons from Turkey.
It will be recalled that the service last month announced the seizure of 2,671 pump action rifles illegally imported from Turkey into Nigeria.
Owing to the seizure, Turkish Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Halal. Cakil, vowed on September 26 that his country would fish out the brains behind the shipping of illegal arms into Nigeria.
Addressing journalists in Abuja yesterday, Dangaladima said: “Let me seize this opportunity to impromptu you that we are making progress on investigation into the illegal arms importation.
“More arrests have been made and the CGC will be on the entourage of Mr. President to Turkey for sideline bilateral meeting with the Turkish customs authorities.
“This is with the aim of permanently putting an end to such deadly importations from Turkey.”
He revealed that on October 10, the NCS operatives seized 27 Toyota Hilux pick-up vehicles worth N432 million.
His words: “On Wednesday 10th October, 2017, based on credible intelligence, operatives of the NCS Compliance Team went to two open car stands along Kubwa Expressway in the Federal Capital Territory and evacuated 27 Toyota Hilux pick-up vehicles suspected to be smuggled into the country. These vehicles have estimated Duty Paid Value (DPV) of over N432 million.”
He urged the owners of the vehicles to come forward with valid Customs clearance documents, otherwise they will be liable to seizure and subsequent forfeiture to the federal government in line with the laws of the land.
Dangaladima recalled that last month, Ali, while briefing the media on the interception of exotic vehicles, 18 of which were bullet proof, said that the service under his leadership would enforce the powers given in the Customs and Excise Management Act (CEMA) effectively.
He said that being in possession of smuggled items is an offences under Section 3 of Customs and Excise Act Cap 47 Laws of Federation of Nigeria 2004.
Latest Nigeria News
- IMF advises Nigeria to focus on structural reforms
- Group berates MTN over constant abuse of extant laws
- 16 Proven Health Benefits, Uses Of Coconut Oil
- Amaju Pinnick re-elected NFF president
- France, Belgium tops latest FIFA rankings
- Ferdinand: Ronaldo’s tears, so emotional
- Notorious Armed Robber/Cultist Shot Dead In Lagos
- Oshiomhole Settles With Governors; States Can Decide Mode Of Primaries
- Story of 12yrs Old Orphan Left to Care for 4 Kids After The Death of Her Elder Sister
- Lagos 2019: Ambode, Fashola dare Tinubu
- Nigeria, Congo to account for 40% of world’s poorest soon – Report
- Drilling slows in Nigeria but oil production rose
- FG to gather N17bn from sale of 21% stake in Nigeria Security Printing & Minting Coy
- Trump tells OPEC to lower oil prices
- Multiple shooting in Maryland
- So Beautiful! Female Corper & Her Baby Dress In NYSC Outfit For Birthday Shoot
- Amaju Pinnick Wins NFF Election, Re-elected For 2nd Term
- Speaker Dogara Arrives PDP Headquarters
- Buhari's Corruption Fighter, Obono-obla Under Pressure To Resign Over 'Fake' WAEC
- Children Surprise Dad With The Car He Sold To Pay For Their Mom’s Treatment
- Tinubu Shed Tears At Meeting With Buhari Over Ambode
- See Cute Photo of Jay Jay Okocha & His Handsome Son
- Wife Scalds Husband With Hot Water During A Fight Over Food
- Robbers Break Into Lagos Canteen, Cart Away Pots Of Soup and Other Foods
- Meet Akintola Williams, First Chartered Accountant In Africa
- Thief Tries To Have S*x With Lady While She Was Sleeping... and this happened
- Telcos to fund researches, innovations, says NCC boss
- Misapplication of funds: President fires Minister
- Why 9mobile takeover is being delayed – NCC
- End of road for Air Nigeria
- Police Opens Up On "Big Money" Paid Officers For Osun Election
- SHOCKING: Men Removes Police Sergeant’s Eyes For Ritual
- APC Primary: Ambode, Oshiomhole, Govs In Serious Meeting
- Blind Man, Three Others Drown In Delta Flood
- Train Kills Police Inspector Working For IGP Team In Lagos
- Nigeria Air: We Knew This Was How It Would End - Stakeholders
- Mother & Her Son In Prison Over Alleged Killing Of Woman
- Lagos Now Among Dirtiest Cities In The World, says PSP
- Tears, Sorrow, Destructions As Floods Rage Through Nigeria
- President Sacks Minister Over Misuse Of Money For Poor People