President Muhammadu Buhari and the Comptroller-General of Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Col. Hameed Ali (rtd) are billed to travel to Turkey for a bilateral meeting with the authorities of Turkish Customs Service, it was learnt yesterday.
According to Deputy Comptroller-General, Aminu Dangaladima, the meeting’s aim is to put an end to the importation of deadly weapons from Turkey.
It will be recalled that the service last month announced the seizure of 2,671 pump action rifles illegally imported from Turkey into Nigeria.
Owing to the seizure, Turkish Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Halal. Cakil, vowed on September 26 that his country would fish out the brains behind the shipping of illegal arms into Nigeria.
Addressing journalists in Abuja yesterday, Dangaladima said: “Let me seize this opportunity to impromptu you that we are making progress on investigation into the illegal arms importation.
“More arrests have been made and the CGC will be on the entourage of Mr. President to Turkey for sideline bilateral meeting with the Turkish customs authorities.
“This is with the aim of permanently putting an end to such deadly importations from Turkey.”
He revealed that on October 10, the NCS operatives seized 27 Toyota Hilux pick-up vehicles worth N432 million.
His words: “On Wednesday 10th October, 2017, based on credible intelligence, operatives of the NCS Compliance Team went to two open car stands along Kubwa Expressway in the Federal Capital Territory and evacuated 27 Toyota Hilux pick-up vehicles suspected to be smuggled into the country. These vehicles have estimated Duty Paid Value (DPV) of over N432 million.”
He urged the owners of the vehicles to come forward with valid Customs clearance documents, otherwise they will be liable to seizure and subsequent forfeiture to the federal government in line with the laws of the land.
Dangaladima recalled that last month, Ali, while briefing the media on the interception of exotic vehicles, 18 of which were bullet proof, said that the service under his leadership would enforce the powers given in the Customs and Excise Management Act (CEMA) effectively.
He said that being in possession of smuggled items is an offences under Section 3 of Customs and Excise Act Cap 47 Laws of Federation of Nigeria 2004.
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari Worried over 2019, to Meet APC Governors, Oshiomhole
- Shell MD Escapes Prison As Appeal Court Nullifies Sentence
- Bishop Oyedepo: 2019 Will Be Peaceful, There Will Be Change For The Better
- Stop Sealing Suspects’ Assets & Render Them Useless - Falana tells EFCC
- 2019: T.Y. Danjuma's Group Meets Today To Pick Consensus Presidential Candidate
- We Will Not Allow Saraki Humiliate Buhari On Electoral Bill - APC Senators Vow
- Trouble: Oil Marketers To Shut Down All Loading Operations By Midnight
- Akpabio: I Brought Emmanuel Udom From Lagos & Made Him Governor
- See What Armed Robbers Did To This Lady In A Bus (Photos)
- 2019: Obasanjo Slams Buhari
- "I Don't Care What People Who Buy My Guns Do With It"
- Saraki To PDP Supporters: Don’t Be Afraid Of Federal Might
- Why I Won't Resign Over EFCC Case - NBA President
- Jubilation As Police Finally Nab Notorious Cult Leader
- PDP Will Never Come Back To Aso Rock, says Osinbajo
- Shock As Newly Married Lady Falls To Her Death While Taking Special Photo
- Muslim Woman Donates Wrappers To Christian Widows For Christmas Celebration
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- NFF fails to promote NNL clubs that made me resigned —Olopade
- NSF: Charity Izevbokun wins first Gold For Edo — Kehinde Osagiede
- We will strive to raise the bar as the best tournament in Nigeria – Inuwa.
- We will prepare hard and take our chances – Dennerby
- Team Anambra target is ten gold medals —- Emeka Egbutu
- WAFU Cup: Flying Eagles up against Junior Mena
- FG, Abia sign definitive agreements Enyimba Economic City
- FRSC worries about Kaduna-Abuja roads
- 2019: Obasanjo insists he wants Buhari out
- South Africa, Cameroon not downcast
- Only A Fool Will Be Neutral When Nigeria Suffer Incompetence & Nepotism – Obasanjo
- Court May Compel Buhari To Investigate Ganduje's Dollar Bribe
- Electoral Amendment: Majority leader backs Buhari
- Northern Leaders Withdraw Support for Buhari over Revelation by his wife, Aisha?
- Police Beat Up Popular Actor Gideon Okeke In Lagos (Photos)
- Man Disgraced As He Was Caught Trying To Steal Ladies' Pant For Money Ritual in Delta
- FG states resolve on INEC’s security
- Super Falcons to know World Cup foes
- Beach Soccer AFCON: Supersand Eagles tackle Senegal
- Father Mbaka ‘Escapes’ Assassination
- Atiku As 2019 Consensus Candidate: PDP Moves To Get Other Parties' Support
- David De Gea is ranked best goalkeeper