By Ikechukwu Nnochiri
ABUJA – Erstwhile governor of Imo State, Chief Ikedi Ohakim, on Wednesday, opened his defence to the three-count criminal charge the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, preferred against him before the Federal High Court in Abuja.
Ohakim who mounted the box and testified before trial Justice Ademola Adeniyi as the first defence witness, DW-1, denied allegation that he used one Abu Sule as proxy to acquire a N270million mansion in Abuja.
EFCC alleged that Ohakim purchased the property at No 60 Kwame Nkrumah Street, Plot No 1098, Cadastral ZoneA04, Asokoro District, Abuja with cash payment of $2.29 which was said to be dollar equivalent of N270m in November 2008.
The property, according to the agency, was acquired with funds the defendant allegedly laundered from Imo state treasury.
He was also accused of failing to declare the property as part of his assets when asked by the EFCC to do so.
The prosecution said the erstwhile governor violated section 15(1)(d) and section 14(1)(b) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2004.
Nevertheless, Ohakim, who earlier pleaded not guilty to the charge, while testifying on Wednesday, denied the allegations.
Led in evidence by his lawyer, Chief Awa Kalu, SAN, Ohakim said: “My lord I never used anyone as proxy to acquire a property; I never pressured him to buy a property for me in his (Sule’s) name and I did not provide him with any cash”.
Sule who was a Managing Director with Tweeenex Consociate H.D, had earlier testified before the court as the second principal witness.
He told the court that the defendant had in 2012, engaged his company to find a house for him to buy in Abuja, even as he addmitted helping the ex-governor to acquire the property with the name of his firm.
However, Ohakim in his testimony, refuted Sule’s claim, saying, “I did not engage in any dollar transaction with anyone to purchase properties for me.
“There was no point in time that I invited any Sule to my residence and I never gave out money to him in Ghana must go bags. I never conspired with anybody to steal or launder money for me”.
He also denied concealing information about his personal assets.
“I did not hide any information, I did not conceal any of my properties in the course of filing my assets declaration forms; I couldn’t have declared properties which do not belong to me”, he added.
Meanwhile, the prosecution counsel, Mr. Festus Okpe prayed the court for an adjournment to enable him prepare adequately to cross examine the former governor.
Justice Ademola subsequently adjourned the matter till October 23 for continuation of hearing.
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria vies for two positions in ITU
- Super forward: European club wants Ronaldo, Sane and Salah
- Kunle, Aremu disagree over their father’s financial status
- Evidence Destruction: Court decides Metuh’s fate
- Mercy Johnson Okojie has a new endorsement
- What Roman Abramovich stands to lose if Antonio Conte is sacked?
- IDPs, police clash at Melaye’s residence as siege continues
- Nigeria might lose investors – Sanusi
- Naira steady at N363/$ as Pound crashes lowest in weeks
- NFF electoral committee commences work
- Highly-rated Arsenal youngster tipped to leave for free transfer
- Putin orders massive military men, materiel, 50 ops in preparation against enemy West
- NSE: Bull loses control as Index down by 0.15%
- Eko disco restores power to community after 9 months outage
- Buhari returned empty-handed from UK visit – PDP
- Considering a Spaniard for Arsenal job
- Big Brother Naija: Multichoice may have raked in N5.1 billion
- Again, poliice descends on Melaye’s home in Abuja hours after release
- Bukola Saraki’s aide in ghost worker scam
- SEC extends amnesty for shareholders with multiple IPOs subscriptions
- NCC blames SIM box operators over call masking
- Health: Expert commends LASG’s over compulsory state’s Health Insurance Scheme
- Nigerian burnt to death by South Africans as police look away
- Face of Herdsman Who Killed His Own Brother Over Missing Cow
- Pastor Who Borrowed Coat For Wedding 12 Years Ago, Celebrates His Good Wife
- Xhaka: We must win Europa League for Arsenal
- Man Who Already Shared His Will Miraculously Healed By Female Prophet From Kidney Infection
- World Bank blasts Nigeria, African leaders on Youth development
- Wike set to commission 34 projects to mark third year anniversary
- OAU Sex-for-marks scandal: Victim, Monica Osagie, invited to appear before panel on Tuesday
- Former INEC chair gets new appointment
- Politics is like smoking Marijuana – Kema Chikwe
- 2 Ladies Who Accused Nigerian Lecturer of S*x for Grade Jailed
- Update: Soldiers Kill Six Gunmen Terrorising Kogi State
- Breaking: Police arrest Melaye
- Yoweri Museveni, Uganda President, chides Buhari on Nigerian Youths
- Nabbed Soldier: I deserted Army because I was owed 9-month salary
- Senator Dino Melaye Arrested In Abuja Airport
- Why Bode George Should Beg Obasanjo - Oyinlola
- Abuja Engineer Stabs Friend To Death At Birthday Party