NNPC Boss Reveals How President Buhari Approved N640 Billion oil Contracts From His Sick Bed in London
- The GMD states that during the time the president was supposedly on his sickbed and not exercising presidential powers, he actually did
- Ibe Kachikwu and Baru meet to discuss the future of the country’s petroleum industry
The group managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Maikanti Baru, has said President Muhammadu Buhari granted approvals for oil deals to the government oil firm during the time he was on his sick bed in London.
The disclosure by Baru was made when he responded to the allegations made by the minister of state for petroleum resources, Ibe Kachikwu, over the unilateral award of hefty oil and gas contracts totaling about $25 billion by NNPC boss.
Baru in a statement on Monday, October 9, stated that the president still approved contracts at the corporation when he had relinquished presidential powers to his vice president, Yemi Osinbajo, Premium Times reports.
The NNPC boss said Buhari approved at least two separate oil contracts on July 10 and July 31 worth $1 billion and $780 million, respectively.
He said during the time Buhari was supposedly on his sickbed and not exercising presidential powers, the president exercised the powers by granting approvals for NNPC joint venture contracts.
When Premium Times contacted Ndu Ughamadu, spokesperson for the NNPC about the legal implication of Buhari exercising presidential powers even when he had relinquished same in accordance with the constitution, the spokesperson said what mattered was that a presidential approval was given.
“Presidential approval is presidential approval,” Ughamadu insisted.
Meanwhile, the minister of state of petroleum, Ibe Kachikwu and the group managing director of the NNPC, Maikanti Baru met to discuss the future of the country’s petroleum industry.
The duo had been involved in a public debacle following a leaked memo written by the minister in which he accused Baru of insubordination.
Vanguard reports that they met on Tuesday, October 10 at the ongoing Nigerian Economic Summit in Abuja, at the Energy Policy Committee breakout session.
Baru was already at the session when Kachikwu walked in and the former stood up to chat with the minister.
It was reported that they discussed how the country oil sector can be pushed forward noting that there was so much opportunities in it.
Latest Nigeria News
- NFF kicks off training for goalkeepers
- I am grateful for NFF plans to lift Women’s league – Falode
- Harry Song, friend host SWAN in unity match
- Another bloodbath in Kogi as gunmen invade communities
- Commonwealth leaders endorse Prince Charles as successor to Queen Elizabeth
- ATCON seeks Akwa-Ibom partnership on technology investment forum
- Cultists shot soldiers during mop-up operation to rid Lagos of vandals, cultists, impersonators
- Lagos unveils new 44-feet statue at Ojota to honour Gani Fawehinmi
- U.S. releases damaging human rights report on Nigeria under Buhari
- SERAP sues Ajasin Varsity, Areredolu over tuition fee hike
- Nigeria will sustain positive growth outlook – Adeosun, Emefiele
- Borno: Suicide bombers attack Mosque, kill five
- N18bn fraud: Ex-governor denies receiving EFCC invitation
- INEC speaks on PDP allegations of polling booth compromise
- Amokachi worries about Super Eagles
- Two Nigerian coaches disappeared at CWG
- Omo-Agege’s latest Twitter rants on Senate
- A tale of two realities
- Buratai’s last battle with Boko Haram
- Jacob Zuma at 76 seeks marriage with lady, 24, as seventh wife
- Teju Babyface & Wife Welcome Twins After Over 5yrs of Marriage
- PHOTOS: 2 Boko Haram Commanders & Doctor Surrender
- UN cornerned Cameroon is sending Nigerian refugees back to Boko Haram
- Winners Chapel Pastor Rescued By Nigeria Navy After Days In Kidnappers Den
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 3 Top Brands With the Most Affordable Home Appliances
- Update On Police Search For Senate Mace Thieves As Female Official Leaves Hospital
- Heartless Killings Continue: Herdsmen Kill 15 In Daring Attack
- Governor Fingered In Plot Against VP Osinbajo
- Big Woman Posing As Immigration Officer Arrested In Lagos For S*x Slavery
- Buhari, Tinubu in supremacy battle
- Nigeria is a middle-income country, Adeosun corrects IMF
- 'Yahoo Boy' Lands In EFCC Net Over Alleged $22,000 Fraud
- Evil Taking Over Good In Nigeria - Soyinka On State Of The Nation
- 30 people dead as gunmen invade Zamfara
- Ladies Trafficked From Nigerian Turned Into Slaves In Morocco, Saudi Arabia
- Nigerian Man Attempts Suicide After Being Sentenced To Death
- Confusion As Angry Patients Hold Doctor, Others 'Hostage' At Enugu Hospital
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Married Woman Brutalized By Hoodlums In Lagos Market