In an interview on Channels Television, Sagay said that action had been “much too slow” and called for definitive steps.
Despite faulting the slow pace of action in prosecuting alleged corrupt members of the Buhari administration, Sagay said he had no doubt about the commitment of the government in fighting corruption.
“I have no doubt in my mind that the present government is actually fighting corruption in accordance with its mandate and promises. There is no question about that,” he said during an appearance on Sunday Politics with Seun Okinbaloye.
“But on the specific issue of the suspended Secretary to the Federal Government and the Director of the NIA, I would agree that action has been much too slow and there should be immediate decision on this matter so that we can put it to rest and move on. I agree with that,” he added.
Beyond the criticism that has trailed the delay in deciding the fate of both the SGF and NIA DG, the Buhari administration’s anti-corruption war has been labelled selective with many people arguing that it is targeted at members of the opposition.
For Sagay, who believes the government is fighting corruption with “all its might and resources”, there is no justification for such a view.
“I think there is an even-handed approach to the issue of fighting corruption. Everybody who is suspected of corruption or the commission of economic and financial crimes will be investigated and the EFCC and the ICPC who are the bodies who are invested with the authority to act in such matters will act in accordance with their own priority.
“I think we should make it clear. We cannot handle all cases of corruption at the same time. As you know, in this country, cases of corruption go right from the top and permeate to the lowest level.
“So, there are hundreds of thousands of corruption cases. It makes sense for the agencies to choose what to pick and what to drop,” he said.
Latest Nigeria News
- Messi, Ronaldo joins force to judge new U21 Ballon d’Or award
- FIRS makes N12.66bn from tax defaulters, to freeze 6,772 accounts
- Okonjo-Iweala raises concern over rising debt profile of Nigeria, others
- Missing Lady Escapes From Kidnappers/Ritualist In Lagos
- Nigerian Traders Protest Over Ghanaian Authorities' Harassment
- Adebayo Shittu To Be Sued For Admitting Skipping NYSC
- See What This Woman Did To Her Housegirl With Hot Knife
- Former INEC Chairman Reacts: "Osun Election Was Conclusive"
- Tanker Driver Bashes Police Van While Being Chased
- See Father With His 3 Children Who Are All Medical Doctors
- FRSC Recruitment: Applicant Faints, Others In Critical Condition
- Senator Adeleke Reacts To The Osun Election Outcome
- Nigeria's First Female Banker, Sarah Adenike, Dies
- Obasanjo Took Nigeria Out Of Debt But We Are Back In Debt
- Dangote Trailer Set On Fire In Delta After Killing Bike Man, Father and His Daughter
- UN canonises the dictator of Nigeria
- Man Peeping At His Fiancee In Bathroom Pre-Wedding Photos
- Fire Guts Ibrahim Shekarau's House In Kano (Photo)
- Osun Inconclusive Election: What PDP Should Do – Lawyer
- Married Woman Returns To Secondary School In Enugu
- You're A Fool If You Voted For APC In Osun State - Leke Adeboye
- Pre-Wedding Photo Of A Police Officer and A Nurse
- Osun Rerun: How Omisore could help Tinubu, APC retain Osun on Thursday
- No live lost in Confluence Queens car accident
- Bring all football family together, NMJ charges newly elected board
- Nigeria Cadets Handball Team qualify for World Championship
- Ruthless Enyimba zoom to semi final of CAF Confederation cup
- Pinnick hails Enyimba, demands self-belief against Raja
- Cristiano Ronaldo will not attend Best Gala
- Osun Rerun Election: PDP To Join Forces With Omisore, Others
- Pregnant Woman, Husband Dies After Eating Poisoned Food... rats also eat the food and die
- Oshiomhole’s Former Spokesman Decamps To PDP
- Billionaire Tax Debtors: FIRS Recovers Over N12bn
- Husband Stabs Neighbour Who Tried To Settle Him & His Wife
- APC Is Losing As All They Talk Is Corruption, Without Performing – Junaid
- Woman Arrested For Bitting Her Own House-help
- Massive Floods Kill Over 100 Nigerians In Few Weeks
- Tinunu's Boys "Defeat" By Dancing Senator: How Will It Affect His Power In Lagos?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ambode Gives N500 Million To 275 CDAs In Lagos (Photos)