He explained that the ugly trend was due to lack of thorough investigation.
Olujimi noted that the fight against corruption in Nigeria would remain shallow if anti-graft and security agencies only rush to court to satisfy Nigerians thirst for conviction.
Speaking in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, the former AGF insisted that lack of thorough investigation has led to anti-graft and security agencies presenting insufficient evidence in court.
Olujimi also urged Nigerians not to expect hurried judgements when corruption cases were brought before the courts.
He said, “From 2003 till today, even though the EFCC, ICPC and police make arrests and take people to court, corruption still seems to be on the front burner, and is fighting back.
“As practitioners of the law, we have come to know that investigation of cases is not thorough. The judge was not there when the offence was allegedly committed and can only rely on the evidence produced by the prosecution.
“So, if that evidence cannot sustain the charge, the judge releases the accused. It is therefore very important for the EFCC, ICPC to ensure that they carry out a thorough investigation and there is no need for them to rush to court just to please the public.
“The public would want the judge to convict the accused person in one or two weeks. It doesn’t work like that anywhere in the world.
“The UK, US may trail the suspect for a year before they make an arrest. Before they make an arrest, they would have gathered all evidence, such that the lawyers would guide the police so as to gather the necessary evidence to sustain the charge.
“In Nigeria, it is only the police, EFCC that carries out their investigation alone without carrying along the prosecution, and so, there are gaps in the investigation, which the defence counsel exploits to his advantage.
“The public needs to know that the procedure for trial in court does not move as rapidly as they think, except where an accused person pleads guilty.
“The prosecution may be presenting his case for a year and defence has not started because he has many witnesses. The judge taking the case also has other cases to attend to.
“So, we have to be patient because there is a procedure that has to be followed and by this, we will begin to have better results in the prosecution of corruption cases.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari is history – Agbakoba
- CCGG calls out FG over Leah sharibu abduction
- Buhari losing war against Boko Haram
- Atiku’s choice of VP: Peter Obi as a motivational metaphor
- Fake Mad Man Busted After He Received Alert Of N1.5Million
- Juventus considers new Mandzukvic deal
- FIFA 19: Usain bolt likely to be included in winter update
- Luis Enrique: There is no similarities between Spain, Barcelona
- Lukaku hints at future Serie A switch
- Pep: Messi, Ronaldo are phenomena
- Roberto Martinez: Hazard can lead any team
- Man Utd to make De gea the highest paid player in the team
- Morata: Money, fame can be a problem
- Joshua kimmich: Bad luck isn’t a coincidence in Germany’s failures
- National industrial court dismisses suit filed over Marilyn Ogar retirement
- Mother of Hauwa Liman: I Can't Believe My Daughter Is Dead
- APC Reacts To Governor Ganduje's $5m Bribe-taking Videos
- Fayose's Interrogation By Senior EFCC Officers Begins
- LAUTECH Students Protest, Shut Down School Over Fee Hike
- Presidency Reacts To Video Of Gov Ganduje 'Receiving' Bribe
- Nigeria Amputee Football Team In Ghastly Car Crash En-route Abuja For Visa (Photos)
- Speaker Dogara Declares Two Reps' Seats Vacant
- Tenure expiration: Fayose’s whereabouts remains unknown
- Nigeria’s inflation on the rise again
- CBN set to revamp banking regulations
- Young Nigerian Man Married To Elderly White Woman Dies Of Massive Heart Attack (Photo)
- Mama Rainbow Celebrates 76th Birthday With Lovely Photos
- Kayode Fayemi Sworn-in As New Governor Of Ekiti State
- Fayose Arrives EFCC Office In Style (Photo)
- Saudi Arabia to admit missing journalist was killed
- Evil Staff Kidnaps & Kills Boss Who Sacked Him For Stealing
- Atiku Reacts To Killing Of Hauwa Liman By Boko Haram
- Rich Nigerian Man & Friends Die In Fatal Accident At Night
- Beautiful Lady Working As A Mechanic Melts Hearts Online
- Presidency orders EFCC to detain Fayose indefinitely, says PDP
- Businessmen Arrested For 'Stealing' Spare Parts In Lagos
- Obasanjo Commended For Openly Endorsing Atiku
- 72 Afe Babalola Uni Students Graduate With First Class
- Atiku Appoints Saraki, Fayose, Wike To Head 2019 Campaign
- SP shoots dead ex-finance minister’s daughter; family suspects something else