He explained that the ugly trend was due to lack of thorough investigation.
Olujimi noted that the fight against corruption in Nigeria would remain shallow if anti-graft and security agencies only rush to court to satisfy Nigerians thirst for conviction.
Speaking in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, the former AGF insisted that lack of thorough investigation has led to anti-graft and security agencies presenting insufficient evidence in court.
Olujimi also urged Nigerians not to expect hurried judgements when corruption cases were brought before the courts.
He said, “From 2003 till today, even though the EFCC, ICPC and police make arrests and take people to court, corruption still seems to be on the front burner, and is fighting back.
“As practitioners of the law, we have come to know that investigation of cases is not thorough. The judge was not there when the offence was allegedly committed and can only rely on the evidence produced by the prosecution.
“So, if that evidence cannot sustain the charge, the judge releases the accused. It is therefore very important for the EFCC, ICPC to ensure that they carry out a thorough investigation and there is no need for them to rush to court just to please the public.
“The public would want the judge to convict the accused person in one or two weeks. It doesn’t work like that anywhere in the world.
“The UK, US may trail the suspect for a year before they make an arrest. Before they make an arrest, they would have gathered all evidence, such that the lawyers would guide the police so as to gather the necessary evidence to sustain the charge.
“In Nigeria, it is only the police, EFCC that carries out their investigation alone without carrying along the prosecution, and so, there are gaps in the investigation, which the defence counsel exploits to his advantage.
“The public needs to know that the procedure for trial in court does not move as rapidly as they think, except where an accused person pleads guilty.
“The prosecution may be presenting his case for a year and defence has not started because he has many witnesses. The judge taking the case also has other cases to attend to.
“So, we have to be patient because there is a procedure that has to be followed and by this, we will begin to have better results in the prosecution of corruption cases.”
Latest Nigeria News
- 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifiers :Here is D’Tigers rely anchorman
- Nigeria Senate Minority Leader lost voice, somersaulted after Ahmed Musa’s brace
- Niger Tornadoes to resume next Thursday
- NANPF congratulates Super Eagles on victory over Iceland
- Nigeria goalkeeper Ikeme in remission after year-long cancer battle
- Musa unsure on Leicester City future.
- Nigeria will remain humble ahead to crunch Argentina – Coach Rohr
- History as Taekwondo congress adopts constitution
- FG introduces new scheme targeting unidentified loot in Switzerland
- FIFA probes Argentina, Croatia
- Clashes loom as old SDP replaces nPDP after APC convention
- Any Lady That Disrespects Her Husband/Father of Her Child Does Not Know God - Nollywood Actress
- Choosing Faith Over Fear As A Child Of God
- Kidnappers Arrested Over Failed N20m Ransom In Lagos
- Kwankwaso boycotts APC national convention to visit Atiku
- APC amends its slogan
- 2019: Obasanjo plots Buhari’s fall
- Obasanjo under pressure to back Atiku for 2019
- N900m fraud: NHIS boss speaks on allegations of theft
- Abaribe being hunted because of views, says Lawyer
- 2018 Budget crisis: NASS indicts Buhari over Second Niger Bridge, budget delay
- Melaye declares APC’s “political obituary”
- SERAP wins suitcompelling Adamu, Ogbeh to account for spending on Water projects
- Nigeria to lose 3 million Christians annually till 2043, says Danjuma group
- Tension brews amongst Yoruba leaders over mission to rescue Obasanjo from Buhari
- Senator Abaribe arrested for gun running, aiding IPOB - lawyer
- NewPDP drops defection threat, agrees to meet APC Governors, Leaders for settlement
- Power Battle For 2019: Obasanjo Meets Yoruba Leaders
- Hummels Ruled Out of Germany Clash with Sweden
- Real Madrid sign young goalkeeper
- Petit: Messi is not a leader like Ronaldo
- Eagles over the cloud, ready to soar – Akinwunmi
- Interesting Reasons Why Travel Is Good For Your Mental Health
- 17-Year-Old Girl Sells Her 2nd Child After Her Mum Sold The First
- Army Offers N5m To Anyone With Information On Bomb Factories In The Northeast
- APC Convention: How Buhari, Tinubu, Others Averted Crisis
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- D’Tigers hold first training
- Football stakeholders warn Ifeanyi Ubah
- Nasarawa United set to resume as Dogo aims to end season