He explained that the ugly trend was due to lack of thorough investigation.
Olujimi noted that the fight against corruption in Nigeria would remain shallow if anti-graft and security agencies only rush to court to satisfy Nigerians thirst for conviction.
Speaking in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, the former AGF insisted that lack of thorough investigation has led to anti-graft and security agencies presenting insufficient evidence in court.
Olujimi also urged Nigerians not to expect hurried judgements when corruption cases were brought before the courts.
He said, “From 2003 till today, even though the EFCC, ICPC and police make arrests and take people to court, corruption still seems to be on the front burner, and is fighting back.
“As practitioners of the law, we have come to know that investigation of cases is not thorough. The judge was not there when the offence was allegedly committed and can only rely on the evidence produced by the prosecution.
“So, if that evidence cannot sustain the charge, the judge releases the accused. It is therefore very important for the EFCC, ICPC to ensure that they carry out a thorough investigation and there is no need for them to rush to court just to please the public.
“The public would want the judge to convict the accused person in one or two weeks. It doesn’t work like that anywhere in the world.
“The UK, US may trail the suspect for a year before they make an arrest. Before they make an arrest, they would have gathered all evidence, such that the lawyers would guide the police so as to gather the necessary evidence to sustain the charge.
“In Nigeria, it is only the police, EFCC that carries out their investigation alone without carrying along the prosecution, and so, there are gaps in the investigation, which the defence counsel exploits to his advantage.
“The public needs to know that the procedure for trial in court does not move as rapidly as they think, except where an accused person pleads guilty.
“The prosecution may be presenting his case for a year and defence has not started because he has many witnesses. The judge taking the case also has other cases to attend to.
“So, we have to be patient because there is a procedure that has to be followed and by this, we will begin to have better results in the prosecution of corruption cases.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Kidnappers demand N5m ransom for Baptist pastor’s wife
- How Boko Haram killed 63 in latest attack in Borno
- NECO cancels 20,181 results over malpractice
- Court stops Multichoice from hiking subscription fees
- Tension in Abuja: U.S. Embassy reopens August 24 in Abuja
- Boko Haram: UN raises alert over fresh terrorists attack in North East, Nigeria
- Niger Tornadoes get new management vehicle
- FIFA Ban: Dalung insists rule of law must prevail
- Nigeria female handball U-18 players depart for Cote d’Ivoire
- 2018: Osogbo set for City Peace Marathon
- Saurabh Chaudhary Clinches Gold in 10m air pistol shooting
- Chelsea to offer Eden Hazard new £300,000-per-week deal
- Single digit interest rates not feasible now, says Diamond Bank
- Buhari treks 800 metres after sallah prayer
- Eid-el-Kabir: Eschew divisive tendencies, Obasa urge Nigerians
- Proposed national carrier, a waste of resources- Ezekwesili
- SERAP issues Ajimobi seven-day ultimatum to repair Ayefele’s Fresh FM building or face legal action
- Ayefele's FM: Repair It Or Ajimobi Will Face Legal Action - SERAP
- Nobody wants Nigeria suspended —Giwa
- Who is Victor Moses? — Segun Odegbami
- Ndidi signs a new six-year contract with Leicester City
- Barca director hints they haven’t given up on Pogba
- Atiku, Ben Bruce react to demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio House
- Acadeny for Stars expelled, fined
- How NFF escaped FIFA ban
- Army investigates female soldier for brutalizing niece
- After a year in coma, footballer wakes up
- Microsoft uncovers more hacking attempts
- Another senator docked for N245m fraud
- Ayefele’s Building Demolition: Both Sides State Their Case
- Man Stabs His 2 Younger Brothers To Death Over Their Father's Property In Delta
- Two Women Nabbed For Buying Day-old Twins For N1.8m
- Woman Gets Married For The First Time At 60 (Photo)
- SHOCKING: CBN Officer Who Belonged To "Secret Society" Dies Mysteriously In Abuja
- Thrilling Things To Do This Holiday
- Gunmen Kill Popular Catholic Priest In Abuja
- You Didn't Build A Single Company In 8 Year, I've Built 9 In 3 Years - Udom replies Akpabio
- Strange Chemical Emission Fills The Air In Anambra Community, 7 Reportedly Dead
- Tinubu Not Happy with Buhari Govt., Supporting Him for His 2023 Ambition - Saraki
- Woman Arrested In Lagos For Pouring Hot Water On Maid