Patience, who is under investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, said this in a statement by her Chief Press Secretary, Belema Meshack-Hart, on Monday.
The former first lady said she was being probed because of the prominent role she played during the build-up to the 2015 elections.
Patience had described Buhari who was the then presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress as a brain-dead man.
She said whatever happened during the election should not be a reason to persecute her.
Mrs. Jonathan, therefore, called on Buhari to caution the acting Chairman of the EFCC, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, against harassing her.
She said Buhari should take a cue from the United States President, Donald Trump, who did not go after Barack Obama’s wife, Michelle, despite the fact that she campaigned against Trump.
The statement read in part, “We believe that she is being systematically persecuted and punished because of her unflinching support for her husband during the 2015 elections.
“President Buhari should be reminded that his wife also supported him in all the elections he contested against her husband, former President Jonathan, but Dr. Jonathan did not at any point in time, carry out personal vendetta or go after Buhari’s wife.
“That is the standard practice in all democracies around the world. For instance, Michelle Obama campaigned vigorously for her husband’s party during their last presidential election, but we have yet to see President Donald Trump move against her. One thing is clear: No matter what they do to Mrs. Jonathan, she will continue to stand by her husband, the father of her children, even if it means paying the supreme price with her life.”
Latest Nigeria News
- NFF kicks off training for goalkeepers
- I am grateful for NFF plans to lift Women’s league – Falode
- Harry Song, friend host SWAN in unity match
- Another bloodbath in Kogi as gunmen invade communities
- Commonwealth leaders endorse Prince Charles as successor to Queen Elizabeth
- ATCON seeks Akwa-Ibom partnership on technology investment forum
- Cultists shot soldiers during mop-up operation to rid Lagos of vandals, cultists, impersonators
- Lagos unveils new 44-feet statue at Ojota to honour Gani Fawehinmi
- U.S. releases damaging human rights report on Nigeria under Buhari
- SERAP sues Ajasin Varsity, Areredolu over tuition fee hike
- Nigeria will sustain positive growth outlook – Adeosun, Emefiele
- Borno: Suicide bombers attack Mosque, kill five
- N18bn fraud: Ex-governor denies receiving EFCC invitation
- INEC speaks on PDP allegations of polling booth compromise
- Amokachi worries about Super Eagles
- Two Nigerian coaches disappeared at CWG
- Omo-Agege’s latest Twitter rants on Senate
- A tale of two realities
- Buratai’s last battle with Boko Haram
- Jacob Zuma at 76 seeks marriage with lady, 24, as seventh wife
- Teju Babyface & Wife Welcome Twins After Over 5yrs of Marriage
- PHOTOS: 2 Boko Haram Commanders & Doctor Surrender
- UN cornerned Cameroon is sending Nigerian refugees back to Boko Haram
- Winners Chapel Pastor Rescued By Nigeria Navy After Days In Kidnappers Den
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 3 Top Brands With the Most Affordable Home Appliances
- Update On Police Search For Senate Mace Thieves As Female Official Leaves Hospital
- Heartless Killings Continue: Herdsmen Kill 15 In Daring Attack
- Governor Fingered In Plot Against VP Osinbajo
- Big Woman Posing As Immigration Officer Arrested In Lagos For S*x Slavery
- Buhari, Tinubu in supremacy battle
- Nigeria is a middle-income country, Adeosun corrects IMF
- 'Yahoo Boy' Lands In EFCC Net Over Alleged $22,000 Fraud
- Evil Taking Over Good In Nigeria - Soyinka On State Of The Nation
- 30 people dead as gunmen invade Zamfara
- Ladies Trafficked From Nigerian Turned Into Slaves In Morocco, Saudi Arabia
- Nigerian Man Attempts Suicide After Being Sentenced To Death
- Confusion As Angry Patients Hold Doctor, Others 'Hostage' At Enugu Hospital
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Married Woman Brutalized By Hoodlums In Lagos Market