Patience, who is under investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, said this in a statement by her Chief Press Secretary, Belema Meshack-Hart, on Monday.
The former first lady said she was being probed because of the prominent role she played during the build-up to the 2015 elections.
Patience had described Buhari who was the then presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress as a brain-dead man.
She said whatever happened during the election should not be a reason to persecute her.
Mrs. Jonathan, therefore, called on Buhari to caution the acting Chairman of the EFCC, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, against harassing her.
She said Buhari should take a cue from the United States President, Donald Trump, who did not go after Barack Obama’s wife, Michelle, despite the fact that she campaigned against Trump.
The statement read in part, “We believe that she is being systematically persecuted and punished because of her unflinching support for her husband during the 2015 elections.
“President Buhari should be reminded that his wife also supported him in all the elections he contested against her husband, former President Jonathan, but Dr. Jonathan did not at any point in time, carry out personal vendetta or go after Buhari’s wife.
“That is the standard practice in all democracies around the world. For instance, Michelle Obama campaigned vigorously for her husband’s party during their last presidential election, but we have yet to see President Donald Trump move against her. One thing is clear: No matter what they do to Mrs. Jonathan, she will continue to stand by her husband, the father of her children, even if it means paying the supreme price with her life.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Why former Air Force chief received kickbacks
- Pastor, 3 others strangle prostitute, have sex with dead body
- CDHR task Buhari on poverty/insecurity
- Attacks on Plateau communities retaliatory, says Miyetti Allah
- Bureau official arraigned for murder
- Buhari blames desperate politicians for killings in Plateau
- APC Convention: “Kwankwaso just ended political career”
- D'Banj Was Advised About That Swimming Pool & His Son
- Banks struggle between steady income lines, declining profits
- Okorocha may sacrifice son-in-law governorship ambition
- Customs raises alarms over fake recruitment sites
- Drogba sends warning to Super Eagles ahead of Argentina clash
- Iheanacho confident of victory against Argentina
- Oil hits $74.10/barrel as OPEC moves toward spiking supply
- Nigeria to begin fuel exportation by 2019, says Baru
- 2018 World Cup: Pogba reveals Nigeria will be tough opponents
- Mikel to wear arm guard against Argentina
- Nigeria has highest number of extremely poor people – Report
- Bishop Oyedepo: You Can Be A Christian and Miss Heaven
- 5 Mistakes Graduates Are Making That's Denying Them Success
- TRAGIC! Obituary Of Lady & Her Brother Who Died In Accident
- Makeup Artist Transforms Lady Who Survived Burns Into A Queen For Her Wedding
- Boko Haram Fuel Supplier, Who's A Filling Station Manager, Nabbed By Soldiers
- Gunmen Disappear With Ondo Traditional Ruler's Wife
- Woman Who's A Witch Falls From Sky & Lands On Police Barrack In Delta State (Photos)
- PDP ridicules APC National Convention as ‘a mockery of democracy’
- Plateau killings: Buhari speaks tough, appeals for calm
- Saraki keeps APC leaders in suspense over his party membership
- See Woman Who Escaped After Over 100 Were Killed In Plateau
- How D'banj's Son Got Drowned In His Swimming Pool (Update)
- Imagine What Husband & Wife Did To This Boy Living With Them
- "Why I Didn't Attend APC Convention" – Kwankwaso
- Disgraced Ex-Minister Runs Abuja Clinic Without Licence For Years
- Nigeria Overtakes India As Poorest Country In The World
- "Why Herdsmen Killed People In Plateau" – Miyetti Allah Chairman
- Armed herdsmen kill 86 in Plateau
- Sowore blasts Buhari over 2018 Budget
- Buhari at war with NASS over disquieting budget crisis
- Police places N1m bounty on masked woman that “exposed” rich police officer
- Lagos Police Place N1m Reward On Masked Lady