Patience, who is under investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, said this in a statement by her Chief Press Secretary, Belema Meshack-Hart, on Monday.
The former first lady said she was being probed because of the prominent role she played during the build-up to the 2015 elections.
Patience had described Buhari who was the then presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress as a brain-dead man.
She said whatever happened during the election should not be a reason to persecute her.
Mrs. Jonathan, therefore, called on Buhari to caution the acting Chairman of the EFCC, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, against harassing her.
She said Buhari should take a cue from the United States President, Donald Trump, who did not go after Barack Obama’s wife, Michelle, despite the fact that she campaigned against Trump.
The statement read in part, “We believe that she is being systematically persecuted and punished because of her unflinching support for her husband during the 2015 elections.
“President Buhari should be reminded that his wife also supported him in all the elections he contested against her husband, former President Jonathan, but Dr. Jonathan did not at any point in time, carry out personal vendetta or go after Buhari’s wife.
“That is the standard practice in all democracies around the world. For instance, Michelle Obama campaigned vigorously for her husband’s party during their last presidential election, but we have yet to see President Donald Trump move against her. One thing is clear: No matter what they do to Mrs. Jonathan, she will continue to stand by her husband, the father of her children, even if it means paying the supreme price with her life.”
Latest Nigeria News
- 10 biggest news stories in Nigeria in 2018, according to Google Trends
- The 11 Best Movies Coming Out in December
- The fall of Man Utd XI
- Court fixes February for bench ruling on Magu’s N5bn libel suit
- Nigeria’s first gold refinery construction begins
- Nigeria sues Shell, Eni $1.1b over Malabu oil license
- Buhari okays 65-year retirement age for teachers
- Preparing our children for the changing nature of work—it’s gigs not jobs in the 21st century
- Lagos International Trade Fair Boss crowned Yeye Oge Ogbere
- Young Girl Breaks Record At National Sport Festival In Abuja
- Buhari Just Told Us The Economy Is In Bad Shape, says Gov Yari
- White Woman Flies From Her Country To Arrest Yahoo Boy Who Duped Her N8m
- Donald Duke Sacked As SDP Presidential Candidate
- Notorious Robbers Busted After Successful Operation (Photos)
- PHOTOS: 102-Year-Old Woman Becomes Oldest Skydiver, Flies Down From The Sky On Birthday
- Exposed: Agency Headed By Buhari's In-law Violating Nigeria's Procurement Law
- Emotional Moment Oby Ezekwesili 'Bursts Into Tears' (Photos)
- Pretty Lady Who Just Graduated Goes Missing (Photos)
- I'm Not Desperate For Power - Buhari Speaks On Electoral Bill
- Popular Pastor Kidnapped In His Church Premises In Calabar
- Rivers APC Saga: Court Asked To Order INEC To Remove APC Candidates' Names
- EFCC Chairman: I'm Glad Senate Didn't Confirm Me, says Magu
- Protest in Lagos as F-SARS Officer kills truck driver over bribe
- Suspected Ritualists Abduct 13-day-old Baby While Mother Was Sleeping
- We Won't Go On Strike - PENGASSAN, NUPENG
- Woman Arrested For Pouring Hot Water On Pregnant Lady
- How Buhari's Veto On Electoral Bill Is Dividing Senators
- Touching Story Of Lady Shot Dead While Trying To Save Her Father From Assassins
- See Deteriorating State Of A Nigerian Magistrate Court (Photos)
- So Sad! Female Corper Reportedly Dies From Health Issues
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Young Lawyers Set To Wed Melt Hearts With Pre-wedding Pics
- Saraki attends launch of Trump’s Africa Strategy in US
- Flying Eagles turn back Ghana, reach WAFU Cup semi finals
- Who owns Nigeria football? The investor or the promoter? —Wale Ajayi
- Barewa to face Cowrie at Rugby President Cup final
- Arowolo quits 3SC for politics
- NRA ultimate goal is for Nigeria Referees to officiate at World Cup–Azeez
- Uche Okagbue becomes head coach of FC Ifeanyi Ubah
- Buhari wants teachers’ retirement age raised