Patience, who is under investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, said this in a statement by her Chief Press Secretary, Belema Meshack-Hart, on Monday.
The former first lady said she was being probed because of the prominent role she played during the build-up to the 2015 elections.
Patience had described Buhari who was the then presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress as a brain-dead man.
She said whatever happened during the election should not be a reason to persecute her.
Mrs. Jonathan, therefore, called on Buhari to caution the acting Chairman of the EFCC, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, against harassing her.
She said Buhari should take a cue from the United States President, Donald Trump, who did not go after Barack Obama’s wife, Michelle, despite the fact that she campaigned against Trump.
The statement read in part, “We believe that she is being systematically persecuted and punished because of her unflinching support for her husband during the 2015 elections.
“President Buhari should be reminded that his wife also supported him in all the elections he contested against her husband, former President Jonathan, but Dr. Jonathan did not at any point in time, carry out personal vendetta or go after Buhari’s wife.
“That is the standard practice in all democracies around the world. For instance, Michelle Obama campaigned vigorously for her husband’s party during their last presidential election, but we have yet to see President Donald Trump move against her. One thing is clear: No matter what they do to Mrs. Jonathan, she will continue to stand by her husband, the father of her children, even if it means paying the supreme price with her life.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Kidnappers demand N5m ransom for Baptist pastor’s wife
- How Boko Haram killed 63 in latest attack in Borno
- NECO cancels 20,181 results over malpractice
- Court stops Multichoice from hiking subscription fees
- Tension in Abuja: U.S. Embassy reopens August 24 in Abuja
- Boko Haram: UN raises alert over fresh terrorists attack in North East, Nigeria
- Niger Tornadoes get new management vehicle
- FIFA Ban: Dalung insists rule of law must prevail
- Nigeria female handball U-18 players depart for Cote d’Ivoire
- 2018: Osogbo set for City Peace Marathon
- Saurabh Chaudhary Clinches Gold in 10m air pistol shooting
- Chelsea to offer Eden Hazard new £300,000-per-week deal
- Single digit interest rates not feasible now, says Diamond Bank
- Buhari treks 800 metres after sallah prayer
- Eid-el-Kabir: Eschew divisive tendencies, Obasa urge Nigerians
- Proposed national carrier, a waste of resources- Ezekwesili
- SERAP issues Ajimobi seven-day ultimatum to repair Ayefele’s Fresh FM building or face legal action
- Ayefele's FM: Repair It Or Ajimobi Will Face Legal Action - SERAP
- Nobody wants Nigeria suspended —Giwa
- Who is Victor Moses? — Segun Odegbami
- Ndidi signs a new six-year contract with Leicester City
- Barca director hints they haven’t given up on Pogba
- Atiku, Ben Bruce react to demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio House
- Acadeny for Stars expelled, fined
- How NFF escaped FIFA ban
- Army investigates female soldier for brutalizing niece
- After a year in coma, footballer wakes up
- Microsoft uncovers more hacking attempts
- Another senator docked for N245m fraud
- Ayefele’s Building Demolition: Both Sides State Their Case
- Man Stabs His 2 Younger Brothers To Death Over Their Father's Property In Delta
- Two Women Nabbed For Buying Day-old Twins For N1.8m
- Woman Gets Married For The First Time At 60 (Photo)
- SHOCKING: CBN Officer Who Belonged To "Secret Society" Dies Mysteriously In Abuja
- Thrilling Things To Do This Holiday
- Gunmen Kill Popular Catholic Priest In Abuja
- You Didn't Build A Single Company In 8 Year, I've Built 9 In 3 Years - Udom replies Akpabio
- Strange Chemical Emission Fills The Air In Anambra Community, 7 Reportedly Dead
- Tinubu Not Happy with Buhari Govt., Supporting Him for His 2023 Ambition - Saraki
- Woman Arrested In Lagos For Pouring Hot Water On Maid