The deceased is a native of Enekorogha Community, in Burutu Local Government Area of Delta State.
The National President of the Foundation For Human Rights And Antiy-Corruption Crusade, FHRACC, Alaowei Cleric confirmed the report in a statement made available to DAILY POST in Warri.
Cleric claimed that the deceased was coming to Warri to ferry passengers back to the riverine communities when the Police from Marine Police department shot him dead.
“We discovered that the Marine Police actually has a squad in the river, who specialises in extorting money from commercial boats along Warri river.
“Mr. Akpobolokaemi was one of the victims of their unlawful extortion in the river. We do not know why they chose to murder him in cold blood,” he alleged.
Cleric described the deceased as a transporter who has been driving flying boat in the river, stressing that he does not involve in any criminal activity.
He added that even the boat he was driving before his gruesome murder did not carry any suspicious object.
Cleric stated that the unprovoked killing of a law-abiding citizen by the police was unlawful and such act must not go unpunished.
According to him, “The perpetrators of this brutal murder of Akpobolokaemi Duke must be brought to book.
“We are calling on the Commissioner of Police, Delta State to immediately investigate the incident and punish the culprits appropriately. Let the Police build public confidence by checkmating incidences of extra-judicial killings.
“Now that the Inspector-General of Police has ordered the dismantling of road blocks on the roads, we appeal to the Police hierarchy to also order immediate withdrawal of the Police patrol teams from the creeks since they are becoming a tool of extortion.”
Contacted, the Delta State Commissioner of Police, CP Zanna Mohammed Ibrahim said, “the matter has been reported.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria vies for two positions in ITU
- Super forward: European club wants Ronaldo, Sane and Salah
- Kunle, Aremu disagree over their father’s financial status
- Evidence Destruction: Court decides Metuh’s fate
- Mercy Johnson Okojie has a new endorsement
- Why we are worried about Wizkid
- What Roman Abramovich stands to lose if Antonio Conte is sacked?
- FCMB brings automated branch to campuses
- IDPs, police clash at Melaye’s residence as siege continues
- Nigeria might lose investors – Sanusi
- 9mobile crashes US roaming rates with super 50 offer
- Naira steady at N363/$ as Pound crashes lowest in weeks
- NFF electoral committee commences work
- Highly-rated Arsenal youngster tipped to leave for free transfer
- Putin orders massive military men, materiel, 50 ops in preparation against enemy West
- NSE: Bull loses control as Index down by 0.15%
- Eko disco restores power to community after 9 months outage
- Buhari returned empty-handed from UK visit – PDP
- Considering a Spaniard for Arsenal job
- Big Brother Naija: Multichoice may have raked in N5.1 billion
- Again, poliice descends on Melaye’s home in Abuja hours after release
- Bukola Saraki’s aide in ghost worker scam
- SEC extends amnesty for shareholders with multiple IPOs subscriptions
- NCC blames SIM box operators over call masking
- Health: Expert commends LASG’s over compulsory state’s Health Insurance Scheme
- 2019: No amount of intimidation will stop PDP, says Secondus
- Nigerian burnt to death by South Africans as police look away
- Face of Herdsman Who Killed His Own Brother Over Missing Cow
- Pastor Who Borrowed Coat For Wedding 12 Years Ago, Celebrates His Good Wife
- Xhaka: We must win Europa League for Arsenal
- Man Who Already Shared His Will Miraculously Healed By Female Prophet From Kidney Infection
- World Bank blasts Nigeria, African leaders on Youth development
- Wike set to commission 34 projects to mark third year anniversary
- OAU Sex-for-marks scandal: Victim, Monica Osagie, invited to appear before panel on Tuesday
- Former INEC chair gets new appointment
- Politics is like smoking Marijuana – Kema Chikwe
- 2 Ladies Who Accused Nigerian Lecturer of S*x for Grade Jailed
- Update: Soldiers Kill Six Gunmen Terrorising Kogi State
- Breaking: Police arrest Melaye
- Yoweri Museveni, Uganda President, chides Buhari on Nigerian Youths