Governor Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa State has declared that Nigeria will explode if not restructured.
The governor addressed newsmen on Sunday after a special thanksgiving service to commemorate the 21st anniversary of the creation of the state and 57th independence anniversary of Nigeria at the King of Glory Chapel at the Government House in Yenegoa, the state capital.
According to Dickson, Nigeria’s current structure was not sustainable.
While noting that those calling for restructuring of the country were the ‘’true patriots of Nigeria,’’ he regretted that a number of leaders misconstrued the call for restructuring to mean secession.
He stated , “My view is that there is an urgent national imperative for us to review the country.
“Maybe some people have problems with the word restructuring, but we have to re-examine our nation’s foundation and see how we can make necessary adjustments that will promote a more stable and prosperous Nigeria.
“The structure of the country as it is now is not sustainable.
“Very often, a number of our leaders misconstrue the call for restructuring to mean secession. No, those calling for restructuring are the patriots of Nigeria because we want to lay a foundation for a Nigeria that will last for the next 50, 100 and 200 years and above to come.
“Those people forget that in the next 10, 20 years, the country will be one of the most populous nations on the face of the earth.
“You can’t have that kind of high density human population , arguing every day and every time about the injustices and imbalances, there will be an implosion.’
“So, it is best for us now to have a consensus. If there is any problem at all, it is how do we go about it not whether we should attempt a restructuring or review or not.
“That to me is taken for granted and I am happy President Muhammadu Buhari said he was not opposed to restructuring.
“We are Nigerians, nobody is more Nigerian than us, nobody is more Nigerian than a Bayelsan or a Niger Delta man.
“We are the people that have been sustaining this country for over 60 years. Nobody has the right to question our Nigerianess.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Skill acquisition: Lagos trains 18,184 women, youths in three years
- Buruj Academy players to undergo intensive training ahead of kick-off date
- Gov. Dickson congratulates wrestling contingents
- 5 Players who deserve opportunity in Super Eagles training camp ahead 2018 FIFA World Cup
- 'Strange Bird' Killed After Flying Into A Locked Church In Delta
- Why You Should Stop Worrying About Making A Big Impact
- We Are Not Lazy, Nigerian Youths Reply President Buhari
- Gov. Akeredolu & Wife Celebrate 37th Wedding Anniversary With Throwback Photos
- Rich Kidnapper Evans' Arrest: 45 Police Officers Get Big Promotion
- Femi Falana Raises Alarm Over N1.4Trillion As Subsidy Monthly
- SARS Men "Torture" Man With A Pregnant Wife To Death
- 'NEPA' Fights Back: There'll Be Chaos If We Don't Continue Estimated Billing
- We’re working with ex-Presidents, others to rescue Nigeria — PDP
- Pregnant Teenager, Pastor, Two Others Killed By Rivers Cultists
- 5 Ways To Identify Quality Ankara
- PDP Replies Buhari: Nigerian Youths Are Not Lazy
- Update On Senate Invasion & Mace Theft Saga
- Notorious Gang Leader, 20 Others Arrested
- Fayose, Obanikoro, Omisore Lose Over N2.2B; court freezes Fayose's accounts again
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Lagos completes 450 roads in three years
- Kidnapping: Evans‘ll not escape justice – Lagos Govt
- Lagos Waste: CSNAC asks EFCC to investigate ownership, operation of Visionscape
- Senate Mace Kidnap: When Nigeria lost 109 Senators in one swift terrorist attack
- EFCC about to sabotage own $1.6 bn suit against Omokore, others
- Osinbajo eulogizes Nigerian youths for great strides
- Lagos signs MoU to collate data of persons living with disabilities
- Court remands Buhari’s nominee in prison for alleged N182m fraud
- Shun purchase of pre-registered SIMs to avoid scammers, NCC warns
- Sterling Bank deepens investment culture, launches new mobile app
- AMBON set for official unveiling
- Access Bank increases ATM withdrawal limit abroad
- Mixed reaction trails Police recovery of stolen mace
- PDP in emergency meeting, may change name today
- Hotel owner, others arraigned in court over Offa bank robbery
- Saraki lauds colleagues, Reps for upholding democracy
- Appeal Court freezes Fayose’s accounts
- Reps back Adeosun over Gwarzo’s suspension
- Tension as military, police take over NASS
- Justice Abang speaks on Metuh’s sick-bed prank