Home | News | Headlines | Nigerian Air Force Concludes Clearance Operations Against Boko Haram in Sambisa Forest
As the fight against insurgency intensifies in the Northeast, the Nigerian Air Force has announced the conclusion of its clearance operation in Sambisa Forest.
According to a The Nation report, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) revealed on Thursday that it has concluded its operation code-named “Operation Ruwa Wuta” at the Sambisa forest and other suspected locations and hideouts of the Boko Haram sect.
A statement issued by the Director of Public Relations and Information of the NAF, Air Commodore Olatokunbo Adesanya, said “to successfully execute the Operation, the NAF conducted a total of 129 missions in 180 sorties within a total of over 208 flying hours.”
Adesanya also said the operations included series of medical outreach programmes by NAF for scores of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
The statement reads: “The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has just concluded Operation RUWAN WUTA, which was essentially an intensive day and night aerial bombardment of locations where Boko Haram terrorists were attempting to re-colonize in Northeastern Nigeria.
“An integral part of the Operation, which lasted from 7 – 16 September 2017, was a medical outreach programme that was targeted at providing free medical treatment to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in camps near Maiduguri, the Sambisa general area and Rann, in particular.
“The NAF also conducted free surgeries for IDPs that needed surgical interventions, airlifting them to the NAF Medical Centre in Maiduguri where necessary.
“In all, 700 IDPs in Rann alone received free medical treatment while free surgical interventions were carried out on 146 IDPs out of a total of 1,032 that were screened in all the beneficiary IDP camps. As at 20 September 2017, the free surgical interventions included 90 eye surgeries and 56 general surgeries while 60 other IDPs received free medicated eyeglasses from the NAF.
“The surgical interventions on the IDPs are still ongoing and would come to an end on 21 September 2017.
“On 16 September 2017, the concluding day of Operation RUWAN WUTA, the NAF successfully attacked some structures in Kote (near Bama), where BHTs were suspected to be holding a meeting. Kote was a BHT infested location, hosting significant BHT activities, as revealed by NAF Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) platforms.
“Air interdiction was conducted on the BHT structures in Kote with NAF Alpha Jet and the F-7Ni aircraft, which took turns to attack the enemy location with bombs. Subsequent Battle Damage Assessment (BDA) revealed that the targeted structures were destroyed.
“It is recalled that the objective of Operation RUWAN WUTA was to ‘rain significant fire’ on BHT hideouts thereby further degrading the ability of the terrorists to freely operate and consequently giving advantage to friendly surface forces to gain momentum.
“Accordingly, enemy locations, which were successfully attacked, with significant damage on the BHTs, include Parisu, Njimia, Zanari, Garin Maloma, Yale Market, Mungusum, Arra and Kote. A comprehensive BDA over the attacked locations after the 10-day operation revealed the complete absence of BHT activities.
“To successfully execute the Operation, the NAF conducted a total of 129 missions in 180 sorties within a total of over 208 flying hours.”
Latest Nigeria News
- This, among others can cause bed-wetting in adults
- Lawmakers tackles Ambode over Cleaner Lagos Initiative
- Financial infractions: NHIS Board suspends Yusuf indefinitely
- Nigeria’s foreign reserves on steady decline
- Man Utd won’t win title with Lukaku
- Chelsea determined not to let Hazard join Real
- Akpabio tackles Saraki
- Police, robbers in gun battle, 2 dead
- Bride Who Looked Sad On Wedding Day, Goes On Honeymoon, Kisses Hubby Happily
- Senior Police Officers: 3 AIGs promoted to DIGs, 4 CPs to AIGs
- Drunk Nigerian Governor’s Son Crushes 6 Persons In Ghastly Motor Accident (Photos)
- IG of Police Can Be Jailed for Seizing Dino Melaye's Passport?
- 3 Story Building Collapses In Anambra, 11 Trapped (Photos)
- Skye Bank’s fall: The Inside story
- Can Atiku revives Nigeria’s struggling economy
- Missing General: Update On The Army's Actions
- Pretty Lady Goes Missing Just One Week To Her Wedding
- Ooni Of Ife Celebrates His 44th Birthday In Style (Photos)
- MUSON to host 22nd Music Festival
- Spain falls, Eagles Soar: Ighalo shares fate with Sterling
- Alexx Ekubo, IK Ogbonna collaborate with other celebs on a PVC awareness program
- Mafikizolo features Wizkid, Yemi Alade
- Chelsea vs Manchester United: What Sarri must know about Mourinho before match day
- Why 2 EPL players will never forgive Sergio Ramos
- What every woman must know about their bra
- Dining, managing your High Blood Pressure: drinks, foods to shun
- Proper treatment for mouth odour
- 7 ways of keeping a healthy erection
- ‘Cultist’ Threatens To ‘Kill’ Lagos DPO
- Court Stops APC From Sending Delta Cndidates’ List To INEC
- "My Brother Was Tortured By Lagos Police To Coma"
- See Properties EFCC Said They Traced To Fayose; to seek order for total forfeiture
- Lady Shares Her Robbery Experience In Lagos Traffic (Photos)
- "We Won't Accept It" - Labour reacts to "No Work, No Pay"
- Djinee recovers from serious auto crash
- Secret of Ighalo’s goal scoring form
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Atiku Commiserates With Abia Pipeline Explosion Victims, Donates N10million
- Assassination? Innoson Chairman Lawyer Shot 3 Times (Pics)
- Akpabio Warns Saraki: Resign Now Or We Force You Out