– Former president Olusegun Obasanjo has revealed that he travelled to 97 countries during his tenure
– He said the trips were also geared at canvassing for global understanding and incorporating the country and Africa as a whole into ‘the new world order’
A former Nigerian president, Olusegun Obasanjo, on Monday, January 8, revealed he visited 97 countries during his tenure as president.
Obasanjo who served as Nigeria’s president between 1999 and 2007 said, the aim of his foreign trips was mainly an effort to repair Nigeria’s poor image following long military rule.
Speaking at Oxford University, the former president said the foreign trips brought significant economic benefits to Nigeria.
Obasanjo said: “I was elected as President of Nigeria in February of 1999 and was inaugurated as president in May 1999, when Nigeria was a pariah nation.”
“Every where people had poor opinion about us. We were scorned at and viewed as a liability in the comity of nations.
“The situation demanded that I worked to stave off that perception. As a country under political transformation, I applied myself scrupulously to the task at hand.
“For the eight years that I served, I reached out to world leaders and continue to do so beyond my presidency. That was termed shuttle diplomacy in governance.”
The former president said he travelled to canvass for global understanding and incorporating the country and Africa as a whole into ‘the new world order’.
“By the time I finished my two-terms, I had travelled to 97 countries,” Obasanjo added.
Although, it is yet unclear if President Buhari will seek a second tenure in office, Obasanjo gave this terse reply after delivering a speech at the Blavatnik School of Government, University of Oxford.
The former president said his predecessor, late Umaru Yar’adua did not maintain structures he met on ground to curtail corruption.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria Banks missing among Africa’s best
- Buhari bears fangs, finally replies Obasanjo
- CBN retains interest rate at 14%
- Metuh’s lawyer back to court after withdrawing as his counsel
- Police close in on remaining 2 gang leaders of Offa bank robbery after arresting two
- Nigerian cult group driving sex trafficking trade in Italy
- Focus on getting fundamentals right for the Future readiness of our children
- APC paralle Congresses: Bindow, Boss, Nyako, Babachir and matters arising in Adamawa
- How FG failed in its promise to unbundle NNPC
- Maritime industry present great opportunity for economic rebirth, says Dakuku Peterside
- Maintenance, repair, overhaul facilities will boost aviation industry – Minister
- MasterCard Foundation to empower 30m young Africans
- Tackling the Unemployment situation in Africa by boosting Future readiness
- Ensure peace, security in your communities – Ambode urges Traditional Rulers
- Smugglers make $500m smuggling people into US
- Lagos Police Command nab cybercrime kingpin
- Rising crude oil price fails to boost Nigeria’s economy
- Army, Police contain IPOB threat to Ohaneze’s summit on restructuring
- Herdsmen killings: Christian Network raises alarm of looming anarchy
- Police nab Offa robbery key suspects
- Presidential race 2019: Obasanjo takes anti-Buhari campaign to Afenifere Leader, Fasoranti
- Tinubu mandates new APC Executive in Lagos to promote unity
- Top Healthy Snacks For Kids
- Boko Haram still control parts of North East Nigeria
- Buhari to receive 2018 budget this week – Reps
- $15 million: Jonathan’s suit against EFCC stalled
- Coalition protests in Ilorin in support of IGP Idris
- Story Of Woman Who Was "Sacked" For Giving Birth To Triplets
- Medical Doctor turned Thief defrauds car dealer N28m, arrested by Police in Lagos
- Olisa Metuh Collapses In Court, Judge Reacts Angrily
- Woman Drugs, Kidnaps Friend After Luring Her To Hotel In Lagos
- Obasanjo visits Afenifere leaders: "We have to rescue Nigeria"
- You must marry corpse of our daughter – family tells boyfriend
- Explore Nigeria With These Top Four Tour Operators
- Buhari To Lead 1 Million Nigerians For Democracy Walk
- Dino Melaye: I Was Never Framed Up, Arraigned For Fighting GEJ
- Offa Robbery: Police Finally Nab Two Notorious Leaders
- Woman Rescued From Suspected Kidnappers, Ritualists In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Obasanjo identifies 4 ways to prevent insecurity