Describing corruption as a colossal threat to the survival of a country, Magu said the judiciary was key in the successful prosecution of graft cases.
Magu stated this in a paper at the 2016 lecture and awards of the National Association of Judiciary Correspondents (NAJUC)
The theme of the lecture is ``The judiciary, media, anti graft agencies and the fight against corruption."
Magu, who was represented by an EFCC official, Mr Samin Amadin, noted that Nigeria's rating by the international community had become so low as they see corruption as an industry in the country.
He underscored the need for the judiciary to be effective in its role of justice delivery and urged it to ensure that culprits were brought to book.
"The fight against corruption is multi-pronged; the underlying motive of the fight is to eradicate the problems of corruption and approaches required to achieve this, are multi-sided.
"The judiciary is one of the pedestals on which the fight rests, the criminal justice system in our jurisprudence is effective and robust enough to help in this fight.
"Today in Nigeria, the judiciary determines to a large extent, the direction and destiny of the anti-graft war," he said.
On the issue of questionable bail administration, the EFCC boss said except otherwise stated, all corruption offences were bailable, adding that the discretion of judges was required in situations where a suspect ought to be denied bail.
He said such situations included where a suspect was perceived to be capable of frustrating his trial, adding that some judges even when presented with such facts were still inclined to grant bail.
He noted that a major delay in the resolution of many graft related cases was the issue of delay in the trial of high profile cases at various levels of courts.
He also noted that issues of stay of proceedings, trial-within-trial, lengthy adjournments, and vacation of judges were also handicaps which required redress.
He urged the judiciary to ensure a religious enforcement of the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act in a bid to fast track the justice system.
Other dignitaries at the event include Prof. Itse Sagay, the Chairman Presidential Advisory Committee on Anti-Corruption, Chief Godwin Obla (SAN) and Mr Richard Nwakwor, founder, Crusade for Justice.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Adams Oshiomole and his wife, Iara, host friends to his 65th birthday party (WATCH)
- Modupe Oyekunle : Nollywood Actress Dies During Childbirth
- 8 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About BBNaija Housemate Debie-Rise (WATCH)
- Dream Kardashian is all shades of cute in baseball cap (WATCH)
- BBNaija: See What Comedian I Go Die Did To His Cadillac Escalade
- Bonang Matheba looking stunning in these new photos (WATCH)
- Official Photos from Liz Benson's daughter, Leelee's Traditional wedding (WATCH)
- Could This Be Singer Yemi Alade's Pre-wedding Photos? (WATCH)
- Caption This Photo Of VP Osinbajo Looking At President Buhari Like This
- PDP Crisis: Modu Sheriff Storms out of Meeting With Jonathan
- BBNaija: Photos From The "Warri Stands With Efe" Rally (WATCH)
- US based Nigerian student wins the student presidential election at San Diego University (WATCH)
- PDP Crisis: What Jonathan Said After Sheriff Stormed Out Of Meeting
- Kourtney Kardashian flaunts her pert backside as she, Scott Disick and their kids vacation in Hawaii (WATCH)
- Meet the stunning German nanny who Mel B claimed her husband impregnated (WATCH)
- BBNaija: Bobrisky Shares Airtime In UNILAG For Students To Vote For Tboss (WATCH)
- Anambra Speaker Runs Away With Mace to Avoid Impeachment
- BBNaija: I Am Not A University Graduate - Bisola Reveals
- #BBNaija: TTT, Miyonse & Uriel 'Shut Down' Club Joker Last Night (WATCH)
- Nigerians React To Drake Not Showing Up In Wizkid's "Come Closer" Video
- BBNaija: Efe's Family Vs Tboss' Family: Which Family Needs The Money More? (WATCH)
- Lindsay Lohan visits the beach in a Burkini while on vacation in Thailand (WATCH)
- My name is Peter The Rock, you hit me, you die, I hit you, you die- Ayo Fayose
- Heavily pregnant Ciara takes her son to visit the Easter bunny just days to her delivery date (WATCH)
- Tech: There are billions of pounds of plastic in the ocean — but scientists think this machine can clean it up
- Tech: Look at these knockoff Apple AirPods, which you might soon be able to buy (AAPL)
- Politics: Report: Ex-CIA director warned top lawmakers last summer that Russia was trying to help Trump
- Showing At The Cinemas: "Omugwo," "Ojukokoro," "Okafor's Law"
- Pulse List: 10 photos to remind you how hot Mercy Johnson is, and will be
- For Women: Things you shouldn't say about yourself on first dates
- Lifestyle: How a comedian became known as the 'Jon Stewart of Egypt'
- Erotic Story/Crazy Lenny: Mrs. Chika, my favorite 'teacher' [Pt 21]
- Dogara: Speaker tells governors to publish security votes, LG funds
- Politics: Photo shows the moment Trump's team huddled to decide on Syria strikes
- Sports: Bubba Watson says he lost 20 pounds by cutting out 'everything that tastes good'
- SportyBet: Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund Bundesliga betting tips
- Beauty Tip Of The Day: Wanna try the trendy Chrome Nails? See how it's done
- Finance: Suddenly everyone is becoming obsessed with robots
- Politics: GORSUCH CONFIRMED: Trump's Supreme Court pick headed to the bench
- Tech: Salesforce's $1 billion skyscraper will be the most expensive building in San Francisco — take a look