Describing corruption as a colossal threat to the survival of a country, Magu said the judiciary was key in the successful prosecution of graft cases.
Magu stated this in a paper at the 2016 lecture and awards of the National Association of Judiciary Correspondents (NAJUC)
The theme of the lecture is ``The judiciary, media, anti graft agencies and the fight against corruption."
Magu, who was represented by an EFCC official, Mr Samin Amadin, noted that Nigeria's rating by the international community had become so low as they see corruption as an industry in the country.
He underscored the need for the judiciary to be effective in its role of justice delivery and urged it to ensure that culprits were brought to book.
"The fight against corruption is multi-pronged; the underlying motive of the fight is to eradicate the problems of corruption and approaches required to achieve this, are multi-sided.
"The judiciary is one of the pedestals on which the fight rests, the criminal justice system in our jurisprudence is effective and robust enough to help in this fight.
"Today in Nigeria, the judiciary determines to a large extent, the direction and destiny of the anti-graft war," he said.
On the issue of questionable bail administration, the EFCC boss said except otherwise stated, all corruption offences were bailable, adding that the discretion of judges was required in situations where a suspect ought to be denied bail.
He said such situations included where a suspect was perceived to be capable of frustrating his trial, adding that some judges even when presented with such facts were still inclined to grant bail.
He noted that a major delay in the resolution of many graft related cases was the issue of delay in the trial of high profile cases at various levels of courts.
He also noted that issues of stay of proceedings, trial-within-trial, lengthy adjournments, and vacation of judges were also handicaps which required redress.
He urged the judiciary to ensure a religious enforcement of the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act in a bid to fast track the justice system.
Other dignitaries at the event include Prof. Itse Sagay, the Chairman Presidential Advisory Committee on Anti-Corruption, Chief Godwin Obla (SAN) and Mr Richard Nwakwor, founder, Crusade for Justice.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerians throng Twinkas, another Ponzi scheme despite losing billions to MMM
- Nigerian Senate Uncovers Fresh N10trn Fraud In NNPC
- 5 Things You Should Never Write On Your CV
- See Imo First Flyover Beautifully, Magnificently And Tastefully Completed (pics)
- Emmanuel Daniel Buzabeye 'Edaniels', A Visually Impaired Singer (Photos)
- Driver Allegedly Arrested For Refusing To Give Bribe To Policemen In Lagos. Photos
- Jimmy Carter Got Me My Green Card, I Never Applied For It - Wole Soyinka
- Fidel Castro dies aged 90
- Priest Who Marked Independence On Refuse Dump In Owerri Sent On Transfer
- See What Embattled Lawmaker Abdulmumin Jibrin Posted About The "Other Room". Photo
- The Moment An Elephant Rushed To Rescue Her "Drowning" Trainer From A River. Photos
- "Buhari?s, Wife?s Comments Was Taken Out Of Context" --says Rochas Okorocha
- Proud Farmer Wins Online Praises For His Massive Farm Produce In Imo - Photos
- See How A Truck Was Almost Swallowed In China After A Road Caved In. Photos
- Lady Who Cheated Death After Tragic Trailer Accident Narrates Her Ordeal - Photos
- Girl Who Tried To Take Selfie Near A Ferris Wheel Loses All Her Hair After Accident. Photos/Video
- Fatal Accident Leaves At Least Nine Dead In Osun State
- PHOTOS: Trailer And Bus Catch Fire In Mile 2, Lagos
- Custom Officers Shoot 4 Residents While Chasing A Smuggler In Badagry
- PHOTONEWS: Woman burnt to death while using phone in
- Sheriff: Factional PDP Chairman appoints his deputy
- Sack SGF for calling national confab “food for boys” – PDP Vice Chairman tells Buhari
- Niger Delta: Another deadly militant group emerges, threatens to shutdown oil facilities
- Disconnect us from your electricity – Hoteliers in Port Harcourt tell PHED
- Wike, security agencies demolish criminal den in Rivers state
- Kaduna State Police Command maps out strategy to curb crimes
- Strike: Ondo government, civil servants’ meeting end in another deadlock
- Osun Hijab drama: Christian, Muslims unions in war of words
- Governor Ikpeazu faults trial court ruling
- Forgery trial: I am witnessing as a Unity Forum member – Ojudu
- Kidnapping: IG orders immediate deployment of Special Forces to Kogi
- CBN to sack Chairmen, MDs of banks over financial statements
- Ikpeazu Files an Appeal Against Removal From Office
- Buhari Feasting With the Rich While His Supporters are Starving -BBOG Campaigner
- 254 Teachers Sue Wike to Court Over 5 Months Salary Arrears
- Niger Delta: US warns militants against violence
- Shehu Sani: Senator lectures Saraki, Ekweremadu on how to live in prison
- Niger Delta: New militant group emerges in Imo
- Argentina football legend Maradona pleads with Lionel Messi not to retire from international football
- See Faces Of The Senators Who Followed Saraki & Ekweremadu To Court Yesterday (WATCH)