They insisted that Ndigbo were more interested in restructuring of the country than occupying the position of presidency.
South-East APC chieftains have repeatedly told people of the zone to support President Muhammadu Buhari for a second tenure in 2019 and then take a shot at the presidency in 2023.
However, in a communique after its meeting in Snug, the ECA described APC leaders as sycophants who were chasing shadows.
In attendance at the meeting were traditional rulers, religious leaders, Students’ Unions, Traders Associations, Women’s Groups, Niger Delta Youth Movement, Town Unions, Youth Organizations, among others.
The assembly deliberated on the state of the Nation, and issued a strong-worded communique, which was signed by Chief Mrs. Maria Okwor and Evangelist Elliot Ugochukwu-Uko, the chairman and the secretary of the ECA, respectively.
It read: “Future Elections in Eastern Nigeria, to be anchored on the restructuring of Nigeria. Only office seekers totally committed to an early political restructuring of Nigeria would be voted for, henceforth. The era of stomach infrastructure is over. Any politician, who is against the restructuring of Nigeria, has no place in Eastern Nigeria.
“The childish and very annoying narrative, being bandied about by President Buhari’s manfriday, to wit: that an Igbo President in 2023 is the magic wand to all our miseries, is quite idiotic and unintelligent.
“Refusing to address the core issues responsible for the general loss of confidence and loss of faith ruling the land, which is, the current unworkable unitary structure and digressing to apportion years for ethnic domination of Nigeria is irritating and a confirmation that Nigeria is truly heading for collapse. Nupe president in 2031, Urhobo President in 2039, Birom President in 2047, Igbo President in 2023 etc. is all bunkum and provocative distraction. We must face reality today, and agree consensually on a truly Federal structure, that will unite the country. It should not matter where a President comes from, if true federalism is practiced.
“The quite unnecessary paranoia exhibited by the FG in hiring and sponsoring demonstrators to intimidate Amnesty International is frightening. The future of democracy is clearly threatened in any country where the government is both afraid and intolerant of the truth. The extra-judicial killings of unarmed citizens are documented in video for all to see. Struggling to intimidate Amnesty International is crude, sickening and despicable.
“Clearly avoidable internal crisis within the ruling APC is worrisome and quite disturbing. E.g. Saraki/Melaye versus Ibrahim Magu, DSS DG Lawal Daura versus Ibrahim Magu, senate versus customs CG, etc. That the ruling party is overheating the polity unnecessarily, speaks volumes about the quality of leadership Nigerians are made to suffer at this time. Pity!
“The time has finally come for the electorate of Eastern Nigeria, a region that has suffered so much humiliation in contemporary Nigeria, to wake up and take a stand for the future of our progeny. Accordingly, political hustlers and pseudo leaders, who have mindlessly exploited and abused our trust and good nature, must be retired forthwith. We must develop parameters, standards and values for leadership. In other to raise the bar in the quality of leadership which we think is ideal. We must begin to endorse, encourage and celebrate only leaders who are willing to make sacrifices by placing the interest of the masses above self interest. The time to start is now.
“We are surprised at the refusal of the FG to understand and appreciate the truth that restructuring Nigeria is inevitable. FG must also accept the reality that the FG unwittingly made Nnamdi Kanu both a symbol of the struggle and hero of the people. Only an early release of Kanu and constructive dialogue with the people can heal the land now.
“And finally, the quite unreasonable and unhelpful delay in reconstructing Nigeria into true fiscal federalism, built on regional autonomy, is the only problem holding Nigeria down today. There is no other way out. Delay is dangerous.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Adams Oshiomole and his wife, Iara, host friends to his 65th birthday party (WATCH)
- Modupe Oyekunle : Nollywood Actress Dies During Childbirth
- 8 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About BBNaija Housemate Debie-Rise (WATCH)
- Dream Kardashian is all shades of cute in baseball cap (WATCH)
- BBNaija: See What Comedian I Go Die Did To His Cadillac Escalade
- Bonang Matheba looking stunning in these new photos (WATCH)
- Official Photos from Liz Benson's daughter, Leelee's Traditional wedding (WATCH)
- Could This Be Singer Yemi Alade's Pre-wedding Photos? (WATCH)
- Caption This Photo Of VP Osinbajo Looking At President Buhari Like This
- PDP Crisis: Modu Sheriff Storms out of Meeting With Jonathan
- BBNaija: Photos From The "Warri Stands With Efe" Rally (WATCH)
- US based Nigerian student wins the student presidential election at San Diego University (WATCH)
- PDP Crisis: What Jonathan Said After Sheriff Stormed Out Of Meeting
- Kourtney Kardashian flaunts her pert backside as she, Scott Disick and their kids vacation in Hawaii (WATCH)
- Meet the stunning German nanny who Mel B claimed her husband impregnated (WATCH)
- BBNaija: Bobrisky Shares Airtime In UNILAG For Students To Vote For Tboss (WATCH)
- Anambra Speaker Runs Away With Mace to Avoid Impeachment
- BBNaija: I Am Not A University Graduate - Bisola Reveals
- #BBNaija: TTT, Miyonse & Uriel 'Shut Down' Club Joker Last Night (WATCH)
- Nigerians React To Drake Not Showing Up In Wizkid's "Come Closer" Video
- BBNaija: Efe's Family Vs Tboss' Family: Which Family Needs The Money More? (WATCH)
- Lindsay Lohan visits the beach in a Burkini while on vacation in Thailand (WATCH)
- My name is Peter The Rock, you hit me, you die, I hit you, you die- Ayo Fayose
- Heavily pregnant Ciara takes her son to visit the Easter bunny just days to her delivery date (WATCH)
- Tech: There are billions of pounds of plastic in the ocean — but scientists think this machine can clean it up
- Tech: Look at these knockoff Apple AirPods, which you might soon be able to buy (AAPL)
- Politics: Report: Ex-CIA director warned top lawmakers last summer that Russia was trying to help Trump
- Showing At The Cinemas: "Omugwo," "Ojukokoro," "Okafor's Law"
- Pulse List: 10 photos to remind you how hot Mercy Johnson is, and will be
- For Women: Things you shouldn't say about yourself on first dates
- Lifestyle: How a comedian became known as the 'Jon Stewart of Egypt'
- Erotic Story/Crazy Lenny: Mrs. Chika, my favorite 'teacher' [Pt 21]
- Dogara: Speaker tells governors to publish security votes, LG funds
- Politics: Photo shows the moment Trump's team huddled to decide on Syria strikes
- Sports: Bubba Watson says he lost 20 pounds by cutting out 'everything that tastes good'
- SportyBet: Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund Bundesliga betting tips
- Beauty Tip Of The Day: Wanna try the trendy Chrome Nails? See how it's done
- Finance: Suddenly everyone is becoming obsessed with robots
- Politics: GORSUCH CONFIRMED: Trump's Supreme Court pick headed to the bench
- Tech: Salesforce's $1 billion skyscraper will be the most expensive building in San Francisco — take a look