Desirous of monetary and fiscal collaboration in order to pull the Nigerian economy of the current crunch, economic management leaders from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Ministries of Finance, Budget and National Planning as well as Trade and Investment, over the weekend, gathered in Abuja to harmonise their policy perspectives.
Speaking at the opening of the two-day Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) retreat at the CBN Corporate Headquarters in Abuja at the weekend, with the theme: “Pathway to Price Stability Conducive to Economic Growth,” the apex Bank Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele, reiterated the need for the country’s monetary and fiscal authorities to collaborate and harmonize standpoints so as to develop the economy rapidly.
Mr. Emefiele, who also chairs the Monetary Policy Committee, said the MPC Retreat, which for the first time had in attendance a large representation of the fiscal authorities, was coming at a period when the country faced serious economic challenges. He added that finding a sustainable solution required a broadened participation of colleagues from the fiscal side.
He said that the retreat, as a brainstorming session, would provide perspectives on certain Monetary Policy Committee decisions. He said it would also close the gap on the coordination between monetary and fiscal authorities to chart a common course and take decisions to develop the economy.
In his remarks at the brainstorming session, the Minister of Budget and National Planning, Senator Udoma Udo Udoma, said both the monetary and fiscal Authorities had no choice but to work together to guarantee the country’s economic growth. He posited that the pathway to lower interest rate was to ensure monetary and fiscal authorities collaboration with the private sector.
Also speaking, the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, and her Industry, Trade and Investment counterpart, Dr. Okechukwu Enelamah both agreed that solving challenges facing the Nigerian economy required unconventional tactics.
Adeosun, while disclosing that there remained a huge number of unbanked Nigerians whose contributions to the economy are hardly captured, said the government must devise ways to bring them into the financial mainstream. She also hinted that, based on the current realities, the Federal Government would have to borrow more to meet its infrastructural obligation.
On his part, Dr. Enelamah emphasized the need for both monetary and fiscal authorities to ensure business, market and investor confidence, as well as policy integrity, in order to improve on the ease of doing business in Nigeria.
In her presentation entitled: “The Macroeconomic Trilemma and Monetary Policy in Nigeria,” the Deputy Governor, Economic Policy, Central of Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Dr. (Mrs.) Sarah Alade said the onus of achieving the trilemma of low interest and exchange rates as well as low inflation should not entirely be the function of the monetary authority. Rather, she said it therefore necessitated the collaboration with fiscal authorities.
According to her, there was need for deliberate policies to ensure stability and engender growth in the economy.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Adams Oshiomole and his wife, Iara, host friends to his 65th birthday party (WATCH)
- Modupe Oyekunle : Nollywood Actress Dies During Childbirth
- 8 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About BBNaija Housemate Debie-Rise (WATCH)
- Dream Kardashian is all shades of cute in baseball cap (WATCH)
- BBNaija: See What Comedian I Go Die Did To His Cadillac Escalade
- Bonang Matheba looking stunning in these new photos (WATCH)
- Official Photos from Liz Benson's daughter, Leelee's Traditional wedding (WATCH)
- Could This Be Singer Yemi Alade's Pre-wedding Photos? (WATCH)
- Caption This Photo Of VP Osinbajo Looking At President Buhari Like This
- PDP Crisis: Modu Sheriff Storms out of Meeting With Jonathan
- BBNaija: Photos From The "Warri Stands With Efe" Rally (WATCH)
- US based Nigerian student wins the student presidential election at San Diego University (WATCH)
- PDP Crisis: What Jonathan Said After Sheriff Stormed Out Of Meeting
- Kourtney Kardashian flaunts her pert backside as she, Scott Disick and their kids vacation in Hawaii (WATCH)
- Meet the stunning German nanny who Mel B claimed her husband impregnated (WATCH)
- BBNaija: Bobrisky Shares Airtime In UNILAG For Students To Vote For Tboss (WATCH)
- Anambra Speaker Runs Away With Mace to Avoid Impeachment
- BBNaija: I Am Not A University Graduate - Bisola Reveals
- #BBNaija: TTT, Miyonse & Uriel 'Shut Down' Club Joker Last Night (WATCH)
- Nigerians React To Drake Not Showing Up In Wizkid's "Come Closer" Video
- BBNaija: Efe's Family Vs Tboss' Family: Which Family Needs The Money More? (WATCH)
- Lindsay Lohan visits the beach in a Burkini while on vacation in Thailand (WATCH)
- My name is Peter The Rock, you hit me, you die, I hit you, you die- Ayo Fayose
- Heavily pregnant Ciara takes her son to visit the Easter bunny just days to her delivery date (WATCH)
- Tech: There are billions of pounds of plastic in the ocean — but scientists think this machine can clean it up
- Tech: Look at these knockoff Apple AirPods, which you might soon be able to buy (AAPL)
- Politics: Report: Ex-CIA director warned top lawmakers last summer that Russia was trying to help Trump
- Showing At The Cinemas: "Omugwo," "Ojukokoro," "Okafor's Law"
- Pulse List: 10 photos to remind you how hot Mercy Johnson is, and will be
- For Women: Things you shouldn't say about yourself on first dates
- Lifestyle: How a comedian became known as the 'Jon Stewart of Egypt'
- Erotic Story/Crazy Lenny: Mrs. Chika, my favorite 'teacher' [Pt 21]
- Dogara: Speaker tells governors to publish security votes, LG funds
- Politics: Photo shows the moment Trump's team huddled to decide on Syria strikes
- Sports: Bubba Watson says he lost 20 pounds by cutting out 'everything that tastes good'
- SportyBet: Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund Bundesliga betting tips
- Beauty Tip Of The Day: Wanna try the trendy Chrome Nails? See how it's done
- Finance: Suddenly everyone is becoming obsessed with robots
- Politics: GORSUCH CONFIRMED: Trump's Supreme Court pick headed to the bench
- Tech: Salesforce's $1 billion skyscraper will be the most expensive building in San Francisco — take a look