Governor Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola of Osun, was on Saturday described as a visionary leader who has not only opened up Osun to the entire world, but who has also set the State on the right path of development.
President, Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE), Mrs Funke Egbemode, stated this in Osogbo, the Osun State capital.
Egbemode led the NGE Standing Committee members on an inspection tour of projects across the State.
On his part, Governor Aregbesola attributed the nation's economic problem and the poverty ravaging millions of people to lack of productivity.
Some of the projects visited by the NGE team included the 18 kilometre Oba Adesoji Aderemi East By-Pass; 3,000 students capacity Ataoja Government High School, Osogbo Government High School, Nelson Mandela Freedom Park and Atewogbeja Fountain, rehabilitated Nigeria Railway Terminus and park.
Egbemode attributed the development and progress of the State to the atmosphere of peace and security being enjoyed in the State.
Egbemode, who is also the Managing Director of the New Telegraph Newspaper, said however ambitious any chief executive of a State is, he can only achieve little without peace and security.
She said it is obvious that something has changed in Osun and there has been a significant improvement in terms of infrastructure in the State since the present administration came on board.
She added that it is gratifying to know that the state of Osun, especially the state capital, is now looking cleaner, more developed and beautiful.
She said, "Obviously, so many things have changed in Osun. I am from this State and I come home occasionally and each time I come there is always a new thing to see.
"I am so happy that we now have a cleaner and more beautiful State, it is great to see that there is a lot of improvement in Osun.
"A Governor that is able to attract businesses and investors to his State through direct mass-oriented programmes like the O'Meal, O'yes and others has done well."
In his response, Aregbesola said more than 70 percent of the nation's oil resources goes to less than one percent of the total population, thereby leaving large numbers of the populace living below poverty line.
He lamented that the huge resources in the hands of this few was not even channelled to the development of the nation.
Aregbesola said "If we have ever paused to ask why we are how we are in this nation, we will discover that lack of productivity is at the root of our economic problems.
"The large chunk of the nation's wealth is in the hands of a few while majority wallow in abject poverty. And these resources are not utilised for any development.
"Sadly, work does not pay in Nigeria today as those who work very well are the most poor. Our inability to develop values out of nature brought us to this abysmal level of poverty.
"Therefore, for as long as we don't work for this wealth, it will lead to lack of productivity. Work must be the major attraction for all of us rather than our heavy reliance on rent seeking oil economy of the present."
Aregbesola cautioned media practitioners on the need to be conscious of the impact of what they write on the society.
The Governor said a serious minded Governor will not be averse to criticisms because it serves as a means to gauge performance.
He however noted that criticism must be constructive and done in good faith.
"Criticism is an elixir of life. If you want to get far in life you must be willing to accept criticism.
"But then, journalists must be conscious of what they feed the public and be mindful of its repercussion".
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Adams Oshiomole and his wife, Iara, host friends to his 65th birthday party (WATCH)
- Modupe Oyekunle : Nollywood Actress Dies During Childbirth
- 8 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About BBNaija Housemate Debie-Rise (WATCH)
- Dream Kardashian is all shades of cute in baseball cap (WATCH)
- BBNaija: See What Comedian I Go Die Did To His Cadillac Escalade
- Bonang Matheba looking stunning in these new photos (WATCH)
- Official Photos from Liz Benson's daughter, Leelee's Traditional wedding (WATCH)
- Could This Be Singer Yemi Alade's Pre-wedding Photos? (WATCH)
- Caption This Photo Of VP Osinbajo Looking At President Buhari Like This
- PDP Crisis: Modu Sheriff Storms out of Meeting With Jonathan
- BBNaija: Photos From The "Warri Stands With Efe" Rally (WATCH)
- US based Nigerian student wins the student presidential election at San Diego University (WATCH)
- PDP Crisis: What Jonathan Said After Sheriff Stormed Out Of Meeting
- Kourtney Kardashian flaunts her pert backside as she, Scott Disick and their kids vacation in Hawaii (WATCH)
- Meet the stunning German nanny who Mel B claimed her husband impregnated (WATCH)
- BBNaija: Bobrisky Shares Airtime In UNILAG For Students To Vote For Tboss (WATCH)
- Anambra Speaker Runs Away With Mace to Avoid Impeachment
- BBNaija: I Am Not A University Graduate - Bisola Reveals
- #BBNaija: TTT, Miyonse & Uriel 'Shut Down' Club Joker Last Night (WATCH)
- Nigerians React To Drake Not Showing Up In Wizkid's "Come Closer" Video
- BBNaija: Efe's Family Vs Tboss' Family: Which Family Needs The Money More? (WATCH)
- Lindsay Lohan visits the beach in a Burkini while on vacation in Thailand (WATCH)
- My name is Peter The Rock, you hit me, you die, I hit you, you die- Ayo Fayose
- Heavily pregnant Ciara takes her son to visit the Easter bunny just days to her delivery date (WATCH)
- Tech: There are billions of pounds of plastic in the ocean — but scientists think this machine can clean it up
- Tech: Look at these knockoff Apple AirPods, which you might soon be able to buy (AAPL)
- Politics: Report: Ex-CIA director warned top lawmakers last summer that Russia was trying to help Trump
- Showing At The Cinemas: "Omugwo," "Ojukokoro," "Okafor's Law"
- Pulse List: 10 photos to remind you how hot Mercy Johnson is, and will be
- For Women: Things you shouldn't say about yourself on first dates
- Lifestyle: How a comedian became known as the 'Jon Stewart of Egypt'
- Erotic Story/Crazy Lenny: Mrs. Chika, my favorite 'teacher' [Pt 21]
- Dogara: Speaker tells governors to publish security votes, LG funds
- Politics: Photo shows the moment Trump's team huddled to decide on Syria strikes
- Sports: Bubba Watson says he lost 20 pounds by cutting out 'everything that tastes good'
- SportyBet: Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund Bundesliga betting tips
- Beauty Tip Of The Day: Wanna try the trendy Chrome Nails? See how it's done
- Finance: Suddenly everyone is becoming obsessed with robots
- Politics: GORSUCH CONFIRMED: Trump's Supreme Court pick headed to the bench
- Tech: Salesforce's $1 billion skyscraper will be the most expensive building in San Francisco — take a look