Prof. Grace Akinola, the acting Dean, Student Affairs (DSA), Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, says only one group is recognised as Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria (MSSN) on the campus. Akinola made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday, in Ile-Ife. She said that a muslin group alleged to be operating like extremist was not recognised and had been warned to stop their activities.
The officials, made the clarification after the OAU Muslim Community and University of Ife Muslim Graduates raised a disclaimer on a factional group of the MSSN. Speaking at the sideline of a retreat organised for newly elected leaders of the OAU Students’ Union, the acting DSA explained that a disciplinary panel had been set up to look into the development. Narrating her experience when she visited the students mosques, she said, “we first went to Awolowo mosque, when we got there, we met some demarcation in the mosque.
“There was one that we told them to open, they refused. We told them that if they don’t open it, we are going to force it open. “After 15 minutes, one of them just made a signal and the place was opened. We went there at exactly 11am. “When it was opened, there were 12 girls locked there and others in the room.
Meanwhile, the MSSN national came and said that was how Boko Haram started in Nigeria. “And they came to disown them that they don’t know about any evil they are perpetuating. The Muslim Community also disowned them,” she said. Akinola explained that efforts to shut the mosque had not been successful because of alleged intervention by an alumnus of OAU currently serving in the cabinet of President Muhammadu Buhari. “We made moves to lock the mosque at that time. Even recently, they held a programme without taking permission from the university.
“Despite that we called them to order and warned them not to continue with the programme. “I think they have people supporting them and one of them is in the current cabinet of President Muhammad Buhari. “The university has set up a disciplinary committee to look into the matter.
They will have to face disciplinary action and whatever comes out of it, will be the final.” Akinola said. Mr Babatunde Oyatokun, the Chief Security Officer (CSO) of OAU also debunked the rumour of Boko Haram, but confirmed that there was a MSSN disclaimer on the campus. He said that this ‘illegal group’ led by one AbdulRasheed Bakare neither registered nor was recognised by DSA, adding that the group had no logo and a constitution.
The CSO further said that the only registered body of MSSN was the one headed by Akeem Idowu as recognised by the MSSN at all levels from the branch to the national. “Earlier, before the commencement of disclaimer of illegal programme, they were invited on Feb. 14 at the instance of the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Anthony Elujoba and a riot act was read to them.
“And despite this, they were still bold enough to hold the programme, so in view of this, we have reported to the management for further reaction, in which we are waiting for their response,” he said. The CSO clarified that the university management was taking necessary decision on the matter, saying that the group members were under surveillance.
“The way they flattered the matriculation oath means they were being indoctrinated and if university fails to expedite action on them, it might degenerate and turn to something else entirely,” he added. Mr Abiodun Olanrewaju, the University Public Relations Officer (PRO) reiterated the position of the DSA and CSO, saying that only the registered Muslim students group was recognised and permitted to operate within the university. While attributing the blame on some parents for abandoning their children in schools without bothering to check on them, he insisted that “there is nothing like Boko Haram on OAU campus.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerians throng Twinkas, another Ponzi scheme despite losing billions to MMM
- Nigerian Senate Uncovers Fresh N10trn Fraud In NNPC
- 5 Things You Should Never Write On Your CV
- See Imo First Flyover Beautifully, Magnificently And Tastefully Completed (pics)
- Emmanuel Daniel Buzabeye 'Edaniels', A Visually Impaired Singer (Photos)
- Driver Allegedly Arrested For Refusing To Give Bribe To Policemen In Lagos. Photos
- Jimmy Carter Got Me My Green Card, I Never Applied For It - Wole Soyinka
- Fidel Castro dies aged 90
- Priest Who Marked Independence On Refuse Dump In Owerri Sent On Transfer
- See What Embattled Lawmaker Abdulmumin Jibrin Posted About The "Other Room". Photo
- The Moment An Elephant Rushed To Rescue Her "Drowning" Trainer From A River. Photos
- "Buhari?s, Wife?s Comments Was Taken Out Of Context" --says Rochas Okorocha
- Proud Farmer Wins Online Praises For His Massive Farm Produce In Imo - Photos
- See How A Truck Was Almost Swallowed In China After A Road Caved In. Photos
- Lady Who Cheated Death After Tragic Trailer Accident Narrates Her Ordeal - Photos
- Girl Who Tried To Take Selfie Near A Ferris Wheel Loses All Her Hair After Accident. Photos/Video
- Fatal Accident Leaves At Least Nine Dead In Osun State
- PHOTOS: Trailer And Bus Catch Fire In Mile 2, Lagos
- Custom Officers Shoot 4 Residents While Chasing A Smuggler In Badagry
- PHOTONEWS: Woman burnt to death while using phone in
- Sheriff: Factional PDP Chairman appoints his deputy
- Sack SGF for calling national confab “food for boys” – PDP Vice Chairman tells Buhari
- Niger Delta: Another deadly militant group emerges, threatens to shutdown oil facilities
- Disconnect us from your electricity – Hoteliers in Port Harcourt tell PHED
- Wike, security agencies demolish criminal den in Rivers state
- Kaduna State Police Command maps out strategy to curb crimes
- Strike: Ondo government, civil servants’ meeting end in another deadlock
- Osun Hijab drama: Christian, Muslims unions in war of words
- Governor Ikpeazu faults trial court ruling
- Forgery trial: I am witnessing as a Unity Forum member – Ojudu
- Kidnapping: IG orders immediate deployment of Special Forces to Kogi
- CBN to sack Chairmen, MDs of banks over financial statements
- Ikpeazu Files an Appeal Against Removal From Office
- Buhari Feasting With the Rich While His Supporters are Starving -BBOG Campaigner
- 254 Teachers Sue Wike to Court Over 5 Months Salary Arrears
- Niger Delta: US warns militants against violence
- Shehu Sani: Senator lectures Saraki, Ekweremadu on how to live in prison
- Niger Delta: New militant group emerges in Imo
- Argentina football legend Maradona pleads with Lionel Messi not to retire from international football
- See Faces Of The Senators Who Followed Saraki & Ekweremadu To Court Yesterday (WATCH)