VISITORS to the Igbariam campus of the Anambra State-owned Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University often express worry over the manner in which cattles and members of the university community struggle for space in the area. In fact, some first time visitors think that the campus has officially been designated a grazing area considering the large number of cows and herdsmen that roam the campus daily. It is common to see cow dung litter all the asphalted roads that crisscross the campus.
Oftentimes cows are seen surrounding lecture halls, faculty and administrative buildings even when work is going on.
Common feature Sometimes the cows would cause traffic chaos as the herdsmen take their time to accompany them to their grazing areas inside the campus.
South East Voice recalls that sometime in 2015, the university authorities complained bitterly over the matter and a meeting was held between leaders of Fulani and the traditional ruler of Igbariam, Igwe Kelly on how to reduce the friction between the herdsmen and farmers in the area.
Though the herdsmen withdrew from the campus that time, they later returned and have been having a field day since.
Some of the workers in the university who spoke on the matter said they have resigned to fate, adding that the sight of the cows has become a common feature in the university. According to some of those who spoke, cows have become part of the university community since nobody was prepared to chase them away.
Mr. Stan Nwobi, who went to the university to transact a private business at the time SEV visited, said he is used to the sight anytime he visits the university, describing it as an anomaly. He said: “It is embarrassing to see this kind of thing in the university campus every day and I wonder what the management of the university is doing about it. Sometimes one would stay for minutes waiting for cows to pass, even when one is trying to beat time.”
Nwobi said the attraction of the herdsmen into the campus might be the greenish environment and artificial lakes that provide water for the cows, but insisted that something should be done to stop the herdsmen from messing up the environment.
A staff of the university, who gave his name as Douglas said there was a time students threatened to handle the matter their own way, but were stopped by the management.
He said that sometimes, hundreds of cows could be seen roaming the campus and destroying farmlands, wondering why the herdsmen should be acting as if they were above the law. “I know that authorities of this university can stop this menace if they want to, but it would appear that they are afraid of taking the necessary action and I don’t know why,” Douglas said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Adams Oshiomole and his wife, Iara, host friends to his 65th birthday party (WATCH)
- Modupe Oyekunle : Nollywood Actress Dies During Childbirth
- 8 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About BBNaija Housemate Debie-Rise (WATCH)
- Dream Kardashian is all shades of cute in baseball cap (WATCH)
- BBNaija: See What Comedian I Go Die Did To His Cadillac Escalade
- Bonang Matheba looking stunning in these new photos (WATCH)
- Official Photos from Liz Benson's daughter, Leelee's Traditional wedding (WATCH)
- Could This Be Singer Yemi Alade's Pre-wedding Photos? (WATCH)
- Caption This Photo Of VP Osinbajo Looking At President Buhari Like This
- PDP Crisis: Modu Sheriff Storms out of Meeting With Jonathan
- BBNaija: Photos From The "Warri Stands With Efe" Rally (WATCH)
- US based Nigerian student wins the student presidential election at San Diego University (WATCH)
- PDP Crisis: What Jonathan Said After Sheriff Stormed Out Of Meeting
- Kourtney Kardashian flaunts her pert backside as she, Scott Disick and their kids vacation in Hawaii (WATCH)
- Meet the stunning German nanny who Mel B claimed her husband impregnated (WATCH)
- BBNaija: Bobrisky Shares Airtime In UNILAG For Students To Vote For Tboss (WATCH)
- Anambra Speaker Runs Away With Mace to Avoid Impeachment
- BBNaija: I Am Not A University Graduate - Bisola Reveals
- #BBNaija: TTT, Miyonse & Uriel 'Shut Down' Club Joker Last Night (WATCH)
- Nigerians React To Drake Not Showing Up In Wizkid's "Come Closer" Video
- BBNaija: Efe's Family Vs Tboss' Family: Which Family Needs The Money More? (WATCH)
- Lindsay Lohan visits the beach in a Burkini while on vacation in Thailand (WATCH)
- My name is Peter The Rock, you hit me, you die, I hit you, you die- Ayo Fayose
- Heavily pregnant Ciara takes her son to visit the Easter bunny just days to her delivery date (WATCH)
- Tech: There are billions of pounds of plastic in the ocean — but scientists think this machine can clean it up
- Tech: Look at these knockoff Apple AirPods, which you might soon be able to buy (AAPL)
- Politics: Report: Ex-CIA director warned top lawmakers last summer that Russia was trying to help Trump
- Showing At The Cinemas: "Omugwo," "Ojukokoro," "Okafor's Law"
- Pulse List: 10 photos to remind you how hot Mercy Johnson is, and will be
- For Women: Things you shouldn't say about yourself on first dates
- Lifestyle: How a comedian became known as the 'Jon Stewart of Egypt'
- Erotic Story/Crazy Lenny: Mrs. Chika, my favorite 'teacher' [Pt 21]
- Dogara: Speaker tells governors to publish security votes, LG funds
- Politics: Photo shows the moment Trump's team huddled to decide on Syria strikes
- Sports: Bubba Watson says he lost 20 pounds by cutting out 'everything that tastes good'
- SportyBet: Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund Bundesliga betting tips
- Beauty Tip Of The Day: Wanna try the trendy Chrome Nails? See how it's done
- Finance: Suddenly everyone is becoming obsessed with robots
- Politics: GORSUCH CONFIRMED: Trump's Supreme Court pick headed to the bench
- Tech: Salesforce's $1 billion skyscraper will be the most expensive building in San Francisco — take a look