Nigeria has a very dynamic system, the way and manner certain issues are handled in Nigeria is way different from what is obtainable in the rest of the world Below are 6 recent events which highlight the strange nature of Nigeria, especially as regards polity.
1. 350million for Ibori's party by Okowa About a month ago, Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta state allegedly ordered the release of the sum of N350 million for the celebration and welcome party of "ex-convict" and former governor of Delta state, Chief James Ibori
Of course, it is only in Nigeria that such a party can be held for someone who has been termed an "ex-con".
2. Senator Dino Melaye saga It definitely has to be only in Nigeria that lawmakers would saddle themselves with the academic records of a serving Senator, this tells a lot about our educational system and the porous nature on which so much operates in Nigeria.
3. From prison to palace - Obasanjo, Orji , Ibori That there is a possibility Mr James Ibori will return to politics, is not strange for there have been others like him who have been to jail and went on to be leaders of the nation in different sectors.
4. N111 million given to INEC in Rivers state Few weeks back, The Nigerian police allegedly recovered the sum of N111 million allegedly used by River state's Governor Nyesom Wike to bribe INEC Officials. The investigative committee of the Nigerian police reportedly recovered over N111 million from Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) officials arrested after the Rivers state election rerun.
Where on God's earth can such a huge recovery be made? This raises questions on how elections are run and won in Nigeria. The INEC is working assiduously though to see that elections become absolutely free and fair. 5. Illegal importation of guns About 2-months-ago, the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) explained how it intercepted and seized a massive weapons haul of 661 brand new pump-action rifles in Lagos state. In a press statement delivered by the Comptroller-General of NCS Hameed Ali at a briefing in Lagos on Monday, January 30, the outfit said the guns were intercepted on Sunday, January 22.
The statement read: "On Sunday 22nd January 2017, the Roving Team of the NCS Federal Operations Unit while on information patrol intercepted a Mack truck with registration number BDG 265 XG conveying a 1x40ft Container with Number: PONU/825914/3along Mile 2 Apapa road. The truck was immediately taken to the premises of FOU Zone A,Ikeja where Physical examination revealed 49 boxes containing a total number of 661 pieces of pump action rifles concealed with steal doors and other merchandize goods."
The truth remains that our borders are lax and so many things go undocumented, so many illegal goods find their way into the markets. Many Nigerians have perished from the flow of this goods into the mainstream markets, and of course only in Nigeria would some of these things happen. 6. N9.8m stored in Bunkers of former NNPC boss
One of the major highlights of the Buhari-led administration is the war against graft, and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has been doing a great job. Recently, the EFCC recovered $9.8million in cash from a secret bunker owned by Dr Andrew Yakubu who is a former Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
And again, one is forced to say that there is no other country, where many of those who work in the government get to steal from the nation's coffers, like it has been done in Nigeria. The Buhari-led government came in complaining that within the 16-year rule of the Peoples Democratic Party, so much was stolen from the national purse. It is only now that the government has taken a firm stand on corruption, corrupt officials and corrupt practices in the country. We can only hope that as the war against graft continues, Nigeria would experience the desired change which is aimed at restoring the nation to its former glory.
About Article Author
He is extremely motivated, organized and disciplined. Nick has have over 6+ years experience with web content management, administrative duties, Excel, Microsoft software, Quick books, Customer Service, as well as email management, internet research and data entry. He is committed to producing top-notch, quality work, which is his driving force.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Fitness: Kendall Jenner Uses THIS App To Get her Amazing Abs
- Nigerians throng Twinkas, another Ponzi scheme despite losing billions to MMM
- Nigerian Senate Uncovers Fresh N10trn Fraud In NNPC
- 5 Things You Should Never Write On Your CV
- See Imo First Flyover Beautifully, Magnificently And Tastefully Completed (pics)
- Emmanuel Daniel Buzabeye 'Edaniels', A Visually Impaired Singer (Photos)
- Driver Allegedly Arrested For Refusing To Give Bribe To Policemen In Lagos. Photos
- Jimmy Carter Got Me My Green Card, I Never Applied For It - Wole Soyinka
- Fidel Castro dies aged 90
- Priest Who Marked Independence On Refuse Dump In Owerri Sent On Transfer
- See What Embattled Lawmaker Abdulmumin Jibrin Posted About The "Other Room". Photo
- The Moment An Elephant Rushed To Rescue Her "Drowning" Trainer From A River. Photos
- "Buhari?s, Wife?s Comments Was Taken Out Of Context" --says Rochas Okorocha
- Proud Farmer Wins Online Praises For His Massive Farm Produce In Imo - Photos
- See How A Truck Was Almost Swallowed In China After A Road Caved In. Photos
- Lady Who Cheated Death After Tragic Trailer Accident Narrates Her Ordeal - Photos
- Girl Who Tried To Take Selfie Near A Ferris Wheel Loses All Her Hair After Accident. Photos/Video
- Fatal Accident Leaves At Least Nine Dead In Osun State
- PHOTOS: Trailer And Bus Catch Fire In Mile 2, Lagos
- Custom Officers Shoot 4 Residents While Chasing A Smuggler In Badagry
- PHOTONEWS: Woman burnt to death while using phone in
- Sheriff: Factional PDP Chairman appoints his deputy
- Sack SGF for calling national confab “food for boys” – PDP Vice Chairman tells Buhari
- Niger Delta: Another deadly militant group emerges, threatens to shutdown oil facilities
- Disconnect us from your electricity – Hoteliers in Port Harcourt tell PHED
- Wike, security agencies demolish criminal den in Rivers state
- Kaduna State Police Command maps out strategy to curb crimes
- Strike: Ondo government, civil servants’ meeting end in another deadlock
- Osun Hijab drama: Christian, Muslims unions in war of words
- Governor Ikpeazu faults trial court ruling
- Forgery trial: I am witnessing as a Unity Forum member – Ojudu
- Kidnapping: IG orders immediate deployment of Special Forces to Kogi
- CBN to sack Chairmen, MDs of banks over financial statements
- Ikpeazu Files an Appeal Against Removal From Office
- Buhari Feasting With the Rich While His Supporters are Starving -BBOG Campaigner
- 254 Teachers Sue Wike to Court Over 5 Months Salary Arrears
- Niger Delta: US warns militants against violence
- Shehu Sani: Senator lectures Saraki, Ekweremadu on how to live in prison
- Niger Delta: New militant group emerges in Imo
- Argentina football legend Maradona pleads with Lionel Messi not to retire from international football