No fewer than 10 persons were said to have been killed, while 30 others were injured following a clash between some Hausa and Yoruba youths in Ile Ife, Osun State, on Wednesday.
Vehicles were burnt and vandalised by the rampaging youths, while some houses and shops were set ablaze in the clash which forced some persons to flee their areas.
Our correspondent gathered at the scene that the fight was caused by a Hausa man, who allegedly slapped a Yoruba woman believed to be a wife of a Yoruba driver on Tuesday.
It was gathered that the Hausa man had littered the surroundings of the woman’s shop with papers and she complained against it, which resulted in an altercation.
The woman’s husband was said to have taken some of his colleagues to the scene of the fight and they reportedly beat up the man and some of his colleagues there.
This was said to have infuriated some Hausa youths, who reportedly mobilised themselves and launched an attack on some Yoruba persons at the Sabo area on Wednesday.
They were said to have injured some traders, which made the traders and some drivers to also mobilise against Hausa people their attackers.
There was tension in Ile Ife when our correspondent visited the town. An Armoured Personnel Carrier and a police van were parked at the Mayfair Roundabout while most commercial buses refused to take commuters into the area.
A bank worker told our correspondent on the telephone that all banks in the area asked their customers to leave the banking halls, while their gates were shut to prevent hoodlums from using the opportunity of the clash to loot.
Some Yoruba traders, who spoke with our correspondent in the Sabo area, claimed that Hausa leaders alerted security agencies when the crisis broke out.
They claimed that the security personnel the agencies sent were of Hausa extraction, alleging that the operatives aided Hausa youths to set ablaze vehicles, shops and other property belonging to Yoruba traders.
Two Hausa men, who identified themselves simply as Ibrahim and Nuhu, told our correspondent that Yoruba youths looted and burnt shops belonging Hausa traders in Sabo during the crisis.
Ibrahim said, “They stole our goods and burnt our shops. We don’t know what will happen tonight if this can happen in the day.”
Our correspondent saw smokes billowing from some buildings, while some people were seen running away from the area. They claimed that some Hausa youths were shooting arrows from inside some buildings.
Some Yoruba youths were later seen with guns going towards the epicentre of the crisis, threatening to kill those who “wasted the lives of our kinsmen.”
Parents were seen rushing to various schools to pick their children, claiming that Hausa youths were attacking pupils in some schools.
Some pupils were said to have been taken to the Ooni’s Palace from where their parents went to take them.
Majority of the students taken to the Ooni’s Palace were said to have been rescued from Central Elementary School, Ilare, which is opposite the area where the fight broke out.
A source at the Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital told our correspondent that some of the corpses were taken to the hospital’s mortuary and some of the injured persons were treated there.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs. Folashade Odoro, did not return calls to her telephone to confirm the incident.
However, the Public Relations Officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Mr. Babawale Afolabi, told our correspondent that men from the command and other security personnel were at the scene to restore peace.
He said, “The NSCDC men are still there and they will remain there to ensure that no fresh clash erupts.”
The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, was said to have sent some emissaries to the crisis area.
The media aide to the monarch, Moses Olafare, said, “Kabiyesi was informed about the crisis on Tuesday and he sent some chiefs to address the situation. The misunderstanding was resolved and everybody thought there was no more war.
“But on Wednesday, we heard that they had started fighting again. Kabiyesi contacted the police, the Department of State Services and other security agencies and they responded swiftly.
“ But before the security agents arrived at the place, some persons had started burning down houses and vehicles. Some Hausa persons were rounded up and taken hostage.
“The Ooni of Ife sent some chiefs to rescue those held hostage. I was in the delegation and we rescued over 1,000 Hausa people and handed them over to the Seriki Hausa. This effort doused the tension. Calm has returned to the troubled zone.”
Our correspondent observed at Moro town that an army officer, some armed soldiers and other security operatives were heading towards Ile Ife around 4pm.
Meanwhile, the Osun State Government has imposed a curfew from 6pm to 7am on Ile Ife in order to prevent hoodlums from using the cover of darkness to unleash fresh mayhem on innocent people.
The curfew was announced on the Osun State Broadcasting Corporation Television.
About Article Author
He is extremely motivated, organized and disciplined. Nick has have over 6+ years experience with web content management, administrative duties, Excel, Microsoft software, Quick books, Customer Service, as well as email management, internet research and data entry. He is committed to producing top-notch, quality work, which is his driving force.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Adams Oshiomole and his wife, Iara, host friends to his 65th birthday party (WATCH)
- Modupe Oyekunle : Nollywood Actress Dies During Childbirth
- 8 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About BBNaija Housemate Debie-Rise (WATCH)
- Dream Kardashian is all shades of cute in baseball cap (WATCH)
- BBNaija: See What Comedian I Go Die Did To His Cadillac Escalade
- Bonang Matheba looking stunning in these new photos (WATCH)
- Official Photos from Liz Benson's daughter, Leelee's Traditional wedding (WATCH)
- Could This Be Singer Yemi Alade's Pre-wedding Photos? (WATCH)
- Caption This Photo Of VP Osinbajo Looking At President Buhari Like This
- PDP Crisis: Modu Sheriff Storms out of Meeting With Jonathan
- BBNaija: Photos From The "Warri Stands With Efe" Rally (WATCH)
- US based Nigerian student wins the student presidential election at San Diego University (WATCH)
- PDP Crisis: What Jonathan Said After Sheriff Stormed Out Of Meeting
- Kourtney Kardashian flaunts her pert backside as she, Scott Disick and their kids vacation in Hawaii (WATCH)
- Meet the stunning German nanny who Mel B claimed her husband impregnated (WATCH)
- BBNaija: Bobrisky Shares Airtime In UNILAG For Students To Vote For Tboss (WATCH)
- Anambra Speaker Runs Away With Mace to Avoid Impeachment
- BBNaija: I Am Not A University Graduate - Bisola Reveals
- #BBNaija: TTT, Miyonse & Uriel 'Shut Down' Club Joker Last Night (WATCH)
- Nigerians React To Drake Not Showing Up In Wizkid's "Come Closer" Video
- BBNaija: Efe's Family Vs Tboss' Family: Which Family Needs The Money More? (WATCH)
- Lindsay Lohan visits the beach in a Burkini while on vacation in Thailand (WATCH)
- My name is Peter The Rock, you hit me, you die, I hit you, you die- Ayo Fayose
- Heavily pregnant Ciara takes her son to visit the Easter bunny just days to her delivery date (WATCH)
- Tech: There are billions of pounds of plastic in the ocean — but scientists think this machine can clean it up
- Tech: Look at these knockoff Apple AirPods, which you might soon be able to buy (AAPL)
- Politics: Report: Ex-CIA director warned top lawmakers last summer that Russia was trying to help Trump
- Showing At The Cinemas: "Omugwo," "Ojukokoro," "Okafor's Law"
- Pulse List: 10 photos to remind you how hot Mercy Johnson is, and will be
- For Women: Things you shouldn't say about yourself on first dates
- Lifestyle: How a comedian became known as the 'Jon Stewart of Egypt'
- Erotic Story/Crazy Lenny: Mrs. Chika, my favorite 'teacher' [Pt 21]
- Dogara: Speaker tells governors to publish security votes, LG funds
- Politics: Photo shows the moment Trump's team huddled to decide on Syria strikes
- Sports: Bubba Watson says he lost 20 pounds by cutting out 'everything that tastes good'
- SportyBet: Bayern Munich vs Borussia Dortmund Bundesliga betting tips
- Beauty Tip Of The Day: Wanna try the trendy Chrome Nails? See how it's done
- Finance: Suddenly everyone is becoming obsessed with robots
- Politics: GORSUCH CONFIRMED: Trump's Supreme Court pick headed to the bench
- Tech: Salesforce's $1 billion skyscraper will be the most expensive building in San Francisco — take a look