Cauliflower Stir-fry makes a great side dish to Grilled Chicken, Nigerian rice dishes, Fried Plantain and Nigerian Moi Moi.
It is also a nice light meal on its own. You can have it when you need a light lunch or dinner. Very healthy!
This meal is just vegetables and is quite filling on its own hence makes a great weight loss meal.
Feel free to change the quantities of ingredients to suit the look and taste you want for your own Cauliflower Stir-fry.
- 15 cauliflower florets
- 1 carrot
- 1 red onion
- ½ a small green pepper
- ½ a small tatashe pepper
- Seasoning cube (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
Notes on the ingredients
A bunch of cauliflower:
Cauliflower florets, after cutting up the bunch:
- Cauliflower is a variety of cabbage that has a bunch of many undeveloped flower buds. It can be purchased from all major supermarkets all over the world. In Nigeria, look for it at Shoprite and SPAR.
- The seasoning cube is just for taste and is optional. If you will eat the Cauliflower Stir-fry on its own, it is important that you add some kind of seasonin to it, else it will be tasteless. You only need a very tiny quantity, about one quarter of a small cube. (If you will eat it as a side dish to another seasoned meal, skip the seasoning cibes because the Cauliflower Stir-fry will get some taste from the seasoned meal.)
- Use tasteless and odourless vegetable oil for frying: sunflower oil, canola oil or the vegetable oils sold in Nigeria.
Before you prepare the Nigerian Stir-fry
- Rinse and cut up the vegetables any how you want them.
- Rinse and cut the bunch of cauliflower into florets.
Cauliflower Stir-fry Directions
- Pour a small quantity of water into a pot and let it boil. This is a very small amount of water that will dry up by the time the vegetables are cooked. See the video below.
- Once it boils, add the cauliflower florets and cook for about 2 minutes or till it is soft to your liking. Some people like it crunchy. Stir from time to time so they will be evenly cooked.
- When you are happy, add some salt, stir and take them off the pot and set aside.
- Add the pieces of carrots into the same water in the pot. Cook on high heat till all the water dries up.
- In a frying pan or wok, add the vegetable oil.
- Once it heats up, add the onions and fry for a bit.
- Add the carrots, fry till the first signs of browning appear.
- Add the peppers, fry for a bit then add the seasoning cube (crushed) and black pepper.
- Add the cauliflower florets and stir till you notice some browning.
- Add salt if necessary and that’s it!
Cauliflower Stir-fry is a meal in its own right but you can serve it with Grilled Chicken, Nigerian Rice Dishes, Boiled Yam, Fried Plantains or Nigerian Moi Moi.