It was gathered that the acting Chairman of the EFCC, Mr. Ibrahim Magu, and the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, would meet tomorrow (Thursday) in Abuja to clean the charges that would be filed against the suspects.
While some of the officials would only face dismissal for breach of INEC rules, a majority of them would be arraigned by the EFCC.
Punch reports that some of the officials, who have returned a total sum of N400m, may not face prosecution.
At the meeting, Magu is expected to present a report on the investigation while the INEC boss would make recommendations.
A source at the EFCC said, “You will recall that the EFCC started investigating the INEC officials in the South-South in March and we arrested several officials, including the Resident Electoral Commissioner in Rivers State during the 2015 election, Gesila Khan.
“However, further investigations revealed that the bribery took place across Nigeria and so, all the EFCC zonal offices started conducting investigations simultaneously.
“We have sent reports to the chairman and he is expected to meet with the INEC chairman on Thursday. Some of the electoral officials were not INEC employees but ad hoc staff. Some of the officials collected money through their bank accounts while some collected cash.”
The EFCC had, in April, arrested the Resident Electoral Commissioner in the 2015 elections in Rivers State, Mrs. Gesila Khan, and other officials of INEC that conducted elections in Delta an Akwa Ibom states.
Khan had been quizzed by the Department of State Services in July last year but was never charged.
The residences of all the suspects were subsequently searched and incriminating documents were recovered by the commission.
According to impeccable sources at the EFCC, Khan, who is now the REC in Cross River State, allegedly received N185.8m ahead of the March 28 and April 11, 2015 elections.
The source also revealed that the EFCC had arrested one Fidelia Omoile who was the INEC electoral officer in Isoko-South Local Government Area of Delta State.
The detective gave the names of some other detained officers as: Godwin Maiyaki, Gambo Balanga, Bukar Benisheik, Dukku, Jibril Muhammed, Billiri, Dunguma Dogona, Funakaye, Mohammed Wanka, Kaltungo, Ishaku Yusuf, Kwami, Suleiman Isawa, Babagana Malami, Shongom, and Nuhu Samuel.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Finance: 9 books everyone should read before they turn 30
- Tech: This CEO was so broke he had to crash on Travis Kalanick's couch — now he's raised $18 million from Andreessen Horowitz
- Lifestyle: These are the 15 best airports in the world
- Politics: Anne Frank Center needles Trump after arrest of Jewish community bomb threat suspect
- Lady Smarts: What would Barbie look like with real-woman proportions?
- Strategy: Under Armour is about to release its most expensive shoe ever, but there's still a gaping hole in the brand's lineup (UA)
- Tech: Uber brings on 2 execs from Amazon and Dropbox to woo more businesses into expensing rides for employees
- Finance: What You Need To Know On Wall Street Right Now
- Finance: One of The Biggest Hedge Fund Launches of All Time Is Shutting Down
- Tech: Scientists Have A New Theory On Why Earth Was Completely Frozen 700 million Years Ago
- MEND endorses Omusuku’s as IYC Presidential candidate, dismisses Omare’s election
- I was paid N4000 to butcher woman in Lagos – Ritualist confesses
- NYSC Releases 2017/18 Detailed Requirements For Registration Of Full-Time, Part-Time Graduates
- Oluremi Martins: Remita app ? What Every Consumer Must Know
- N400m Fraud ; Olisa Metuh asks Court to wait for Supreme Court’s decision
- Like the Republican Party, PDP will reclaim power in 2019 – Ekweremadu
- Prominent Pastor jailed for defiling male children
- 2ND NIGER BRIDGE | FG approves construction of access roads
- 3 Siblings electrocuted by Power cable
- Married Banker dies while having sex with married colleague
- ZAKI BIAM MURDERS | Governor orders Traditional Rulers to produce, Militia leader, ”Ghana” (PHOTO)
- Senator Dino Melaye, releases NYSC photos, gets blasted by Nigerians.
- Babachir Shuns Senate Invitation
- AUDIO & VIDEO: Tekno – Yawa
- #BBNaija: Kemen Exudes Style in New Photos
- Nigeria Tops WHO List for Something Ridiculous
- Iyabo Ojo Finally Speaks Out on Latest Scandal
- Laura Ikeji Pregnant, Releases Pregnancy Photos
- Comic Actor ‘Mr Ibu’ Reveals Why He Was Kidnapped Twice
- Davido Picks His Daughter Imade From School; Spends Quality Time With Her (Photos)
- Wet Dreams: Natural Or Spiritual?
- 5 Easy Ways To Prevent Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
- OMG! Tragedy As 3 KG Children Drown In A Dugout Pond In Ghana – Photo
- Checkout 2Face Idibia’s Sweet Message To Annie As They Celebrate Their 4th Wedding Anniversary
- Teenager Gets N500,000 Bail Over Alleged Defilement Of 4-year-old Girl In Lagos
- Drake Gets Huge Tattoo Of British Nigerian Singer, Sade Adu On His Body – Pic
- Black Market BOOMS As Naira Gains 4.9% To 410/US$1
- BBNaija contestant ThinTallTony all smiles as he lands in Lagos (WATCH)
- These Photos Of 4 Friends Swagged Up For Their Maternity Shoot Is Everything (WATCH)
- These 7 Senators Said Hameed Ali Should RESIGN