Describing corruption as a colossal threat to the survival of a country, Magu said the judiciary was key in the successful prosecution of graft cases.
Magu stated this in a paper at the 2016 lecture and awards of the National Association of Judiciary Correspondents (NAJUC)
The theme of the lecture is ``The judiciary, media, anti graft agencies and the fight against corruption."
Magu, who was represented by an EFCC official, Mr Samin Amadin, noted that Nigeria's rating by the international community had become so low as they see corruption as an industry in the country.
He underscored the need for the judiciary to be effective in its role of justice delivery and urged it to ensure that culprits were brought to book.
"The fight against corruption is multi-pronged; the underlying motive of the fight is to eradicate the problems of corruption and approaches required to achieve this, are multi-sided.
"The judiciary is one of the pedestals on which the fight rests, the criminal justice system in our jurisprudence is effective and robust enough to help in this fight.
"Today in Nigeria, the judiciary determines to a large extent, the direction and destiny of the anti-graft war," he said.
On the issue of questionable bail administration, the EFCC boss said except otherwise stated, all corruption offences were bailable, adding that the discretion of judges was required in situations where a suspect ought to be denied bail.
He said such situations included where a suspect was perceived to be capable of frustrating his trial, adding that some judges even when presented with such facts were still inclined to grant bail.
He noted that a major delay in the resolution of many graft related cases was the issue of delay in the trial of high profile cases at various levels of courts.
He also noted that issues of stay of proceedings, trial-within-trial, lengthy adjournments, and vacation of judges were also handicaps which required redress.
He urged the judiciary to ensure a religious enforcement of the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act in a bid to fast track the justice system.
Other dignitaries at the event include Prof. Itse Sagay, the Chairman Presidential Advisory Committee on Anti-Corruption, Chief Godwin Obla (SAN) and Mr Richard Nwakwor, founder, Crusade for Justice.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- MEND endorses Omusuku’s as IYC Presidential candidate, dismisses Omare’s election
- I was paid N4000 to butcher woman in Lagos – Ritualist confesses
- NYSC releases 2017/18 detailed requirements for registration of full-time, part-time graduates
- London terror attack: We have arrested seven persons, attacker acted alone – Police
- Oluremi Martins: Remita app – What every consumer must know
- Atletico Madrid don’t need Diego Costa – Diego Simeone
- N400m Fraud ; Olisa Metuh asks Court to wait for Supreme Court’s decision
- Like the Republican Party, PDP will reclaim power in 2019 – Ekweremadu
- Prominent Pastor jailed for defiling male children
- 2ND NIGER BRIDGE | FG approves construction of access roads
- 3 Siblings electrocuted by Power cable
- Married Banker dies while having sex with married colleague
- ZAKI BIAM MURDERS | Governor orders Traditional Rulers to produce, Militia leader, ”Ghana” (PHOTO)
- Senator Dino Melaye, releases NYSC photos, gets blasted by Nigerians.
- Babachir Shuns Senate Invitation
- AUDIO & VIDEO: Tekno – Yawa
- #BBNaija: Kemen Exudes Style in New Photos
- Nigeria Tops WHO List for Something Ridiculous
- Iyabo Ojo Finally Speaks Out on Latest Scandal
- Laura Ikeji Pregnant, Releases Pregnancy Photos
- Comic Actor ‘Mr Ibu’ Reveals Why He Was Kidnapped Twice
- Davido Picks His Daughter Imade From School; Spends Quality Time With Her (Photos)
- Wet Dreams: Natural Or Spiritual?
- 5 Easy Ways To Prevent Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
- OMG! Tragedy As 3 KG Children Drown In A Dugout Pond In Ghana – Photo
- Checkout 2Face Idibia’s Sweet Message To Annie As They Celebrate Their 4th Wedding Anniversary
- Teenager Gets N500,000 Bail Over Alleged Defilement Of 4-year-old Girl In Lagos
- Drake Gets Huge Tattoo Of British Nigerian Singer, Sade Adu On His Body – Pic
- Black Market BOOMS As Naira Gains 4.9% To 410/US$1
- BBNaija contestant ThinTallTony all smiles as he lands in Lagos (WATCH)
- These Photos Of 4 Friends Swagged Up For Their Maternity Shoot Is Everything (WATCH)
- These 7 Senators Said Hameed Ali Should RESIGN
- Gabrielle Union and husband, Dwyane Wade stunning in new photos (WATCH)
- 'Hameed Ali Is Over-aged, Unfit', Senate Demands Resignation Of Customs Boss
- Empress Njamah poses with Jay Jay Okocha (WATCH)
- Bukola Saraki, Dino Melaye, visit IBB in Minna (WATCH)
- Hameed Ali: Buhari Pretends As If Nothing Is Wrong – Senator Olujimi
- Bobrisky shows off new hair-do (WATCH)
- 23/03/2016: Today's Naira Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euro
- Khloe Kardashian slays in new photos (WATCH)