The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission recovered the money in April, following a tip-off.
Under the whistleblower policy, the individual who gives information is entitled to between 2.5 percent and 5 percent of the recovered loot.
But the payment is yet to be made, even though the government has promised to release the money.
In a petition to the attorney-general of the federation, some whistleblowers accused EFCC officials of attempting to shortchange them by introducing those who were not among the informants.
PR Nigeria obtained and released the petition to the media on Tuesday;
“Our clients informed us sometime in December 2016 that three (3) of them voluntarily walked into the office of the EFCC at 15A Awolowo Road Ikoyi, Lagos and gave vital information that led to the recovery of over N13 billion at the Ikoyi Towers, Lagos,” the petition read.
“Upon subsequent visit to give a detailed information as required by the commission to raid the tower, they were told if the operation was successful, 5% of the amount recovered will be their take-home within 72 hours of recovery, they were also cautioned that if the information happened to be false, then they will definitely be in trouble which the three mentioned above accepted because they were sure of their facts.
“That when the operation was carried out, it was successful but since then they have not received any commendation by the commission, let alone give any reward as stated even though the EFCC have their names and phone numbers”.The petitioners said rather than doing the needful, some EFCC officials said there were people involved in the deal whose names had not been mentioned.
They said Samaila Muhammed, head of EFCC operations, told them the number of whistleblowers had increased to nine.
Reacting, Yinka Akintunde, media aide to the minister of finance, said such issues should be referred to EFCC because it is not the responsibility of the ministry.
Akintunde said the ministry would only come in when the right persons had been identified.
“All will be done to make sure that the right persons are paid accordingly,” he reportedly said.
Meanwhile, the petitioners are heading to court to stop payment to those they called "wrong persons".
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 6 Best Tips To Improve Your Networking Skills
- Court Freezes Lagos Lawyer’s Account Over N40m Fraud
- Why Nigeria’s Economy Will Be Better In 2018
- Mike Ozekhome mobbed at Gani Fawehinmi lecture for ‘defending corrupt politicians’
- Ekiti sanctions Fayemi for 10 years
- Buhari begging for leniency on behalf of Fulani herdsmen
- Lagos arrests 30 cart pushers for dumping refuse on road medians
- “How I married at 19 to a man that now sleeps with our daughter, her sister”
- Nollywood star turns gardener in USA
- Genevieve replaces Funke Akindele on the cast list of Avengers
- Benue leaders dare Buhari on herdsmen colonies
- We have witnessed so much bloodshed – IBB
- Ambode urges Nigerians to embrace dialogue in conflict resolution
- Nigeria’s paddy rice production jumps from 5mmt to 17mmt in 2 years plus — Ogbeh
- Nigeria has no business in OIC – Prophet Alao
- Aero Contractors’ MRO facility can make the difference for W’Africa — Balami
- Lagos lawmaker rewards 324 brilliant students
- Beautiful Photos of Bayelsa Governor's Quadruplets As They Turn A Year Older
- FG says Islamic loan finances trillions of construction projects across Nigeria
- Amaechi in tears at Omoku
- CBN sets 1,500 new saving accounts for banks in Abuja
- Dilemma: Court orders Malami to file charges against Dogara, others
- NIA says no $44m missing from vaults
- Nigeria consolidates position with AfDB
- Detecting if your bank account is being overcharged
- Many Nigerians live on unearned income, says Aregbesola
- Tension As Youths Attack Police Station, Destroy Cars, Free Suspects
- Mother of Five Divorces Her Husband, Gets Married To Ghost
- How To Get Rich & Still Have Peace To Enjoy Your Riches
- 5 Interesting Ways To Make Exercise A Habit
- Pastor Bakare Challenges FG To Restructure Nigeria
- Seriously? Another $44 Million Vanish From NIA Vaults
- This 20yrs Old Man Just Won A Massive $451m Lottery Jackpot
- Illegal petrol depot allegedly discovered at NNPC mega station
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Story of Don Waney: The Deadly Escapades of A Dropout
- Mama Boko Haram: "I stopped insurgents from bombing a church on Christmas Eve"
- Lucky Escape! Plane With 162 Passengers Stops Few Yards From The Black Sea After Crashing
- 9Mobile sales process suffers hitch