Crying woman (File photo)
A divorcee, Hajara Usman, on Monday sued her former husband before an Upper Area Court in Karu, Abuja, for stopping her from re-marrying.
Usman, residing in Asokoro, Abuja told the court that she got married to one Adamu Abdullahi in 2011 but that they got divorced in 2016.
She said that while the marriage lasted, Abdullahi tortured her at the slightest provocation.
“My parents actually forced me to marry him. I never loved him and when I got into the marriage, I discovered that Abdullahi was ill-tempered.
“He usually beats me up whenever he is angry and his parents and mine warned him several times to stop it but he did not heed their advice.’’
Usman said that Abdullahi divorced her in November 2016, compelling her to leave his house immediately after pronouncing `divorce’ three times in line with Islamic injunction.
“I have long observed my compulsory Idah(waiting) period but my ex-husband has refused to allow me to marry other suitors coming for me.’’
She told the court that having finished observing the waiting period, two men had at different times indicated interest to marry her.
Usman said that each of the times her former husband knew about her wedding plans and the ceremony that followed, he came to the venue and disrupted the ceremony.
“In April this year, the man who first indicated interest to marry me came to perform the wedding rites, my ex-husband sent a group of boys to disrupt the ceremony.
“On another occasion, when he heard I was about to re-marry, he way-laid me and beat me up so much that I had to plead with him.
“On the day he beat me, he said he was beating me so that no man would desire me since I decided to move on and re-marry almost immediately.”
She pleaded with the court to compel her former husband to explain why he would not allow her to re-marry because his actions had discouraged her suitors.
Usman also pleaded with the court to divorce her and Abdullahi formally and legally, saying that she no longer had interest in Abdullahi.
“I want the court to issue us a divorce certificate and restrain him from coming close to me,’’ Usman pleaded.
Reacting to the statement of his former wife, Abdullahi, who also resides in Asokoro, said that it was true that they were no longer married.
He said that his grouse was that his former wife came to the court to tell lies against him.
“Since I divorced her, according to the tenets of our religion, I had nothing to do with her.
“I have avoided her and her family because the marriage was arranged between our parents and we were never meant for each other,’’ he said.
The Judge, Mr Abdullahi Baba, adjourned the matter until Nov. 1 for the plaintiff to come to court with at least two persons, who witnessed the disruption of her marriage rites.
Baba said that a divorce certificate would be issued to the parties at the completion of the case since there was no more love between them and they had also been living apart.
He, however, urged the parties to maintain peace since they lived in the same neighbourhood.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- African Security Forum opens 10 Days Security Tour Package in UK
- I love stealing, suspect boasts
- Autopsy reveals how Nigerian girls found dead on Spanish ship died
- IPOB goes under as polling goes smoothly in Anambra
- Tip-Top, Mak&Mak, Pryke, 12 other shell companies traced to Jonathan’s SGF, Ecological Fund
- IPOB rejects media reports on Anambra election
- Four suicide bombers kill 3 in Borno
- YALE sees beauty in disabled persons
- UPDATE: Results From Anambra Election
- Actor Kenneth Okonkwo & His Cute Son In Matching Outfit
- Female Suicide Bomber Cries After She Was Nabbed
- Nigerian Couple Share Lovely Pre-Wedding Photos In A Jet
- 19 Floors into the ground, China to open Groundscraper Hotel
- REVEALED: Notorious Lagos Police Station Where No One Is Innocent
- Moses wins Nigerian footballer of the year award
- Yahoo Boys Weep As SARS Officer Threatens To Kill Them
- Suspects Who Murdered Man On Shell Premises Arrested
- Man Kidnaps Nephew, Demands For N2million Ransom From The Father
- AMAZING! China Builds World’s Coolest Library With A Super Lovely Interior
- Keyamo writes Lagos Govt on stay of action
- Tsav condemns assassination attempt on Rivers Gov
- Minister worries over dissemination of fake news in Nigeria
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Female Corper Beaten To Coma By Employer's Brother
- Lagos Govt chides Banire for whipping up sentiments
- Access Bank advocates collaborative efforts against cybercrimes
- Multiple taxation drowning 95% of SMEs in Nigeria yearly — Elumelu
- How Army Sergeant killed Captain, colleagues over girlfriend
- Osun tackles Dangote over N1.5bn tax evasion
- Ronaldo: I want seven Ballon d’ors and seven children
- Group petitions Buhari over Ekere Tenure as NDDC MD
- Seamless Port operations critical to end Apapa gridlock – Ambode
- Oyegun: Buhari cannot fulfill all his promises
- Babangida facing corruption charges
- NUBIFIE task FG on Labour ministry’s incursion
- NCC investigates circulation of unregistered sim
- Ayeola emerges LASCOFED/CFN President
- Osinbajo reveals how Buhari made him cut his salary in half
- iPhone charger electrocutes teenage girl to death
- Misau: Court grants Idris’ application