Duduzane Zuma, son of President Jacob Zuma will face trial soon for culpable homicide, Rights group Afriforum said on Tuesday.
Duduzume would privately be prosecuted over an accident in 2014 where one person was killed.
South African prosecutor Gerrie Nel, who laid out the murder case against Paralympian Oscar Pistorius, will prosecute Duduzane on behalf of the rights group. Nel resigned in January to join a civic group that plans to bring private prosecutions in criminal cases that the state opts not to pursue.
Under South African law, private prosecutions of cases can be pursued in the public interest.
“There exist no valid grounds for the NPA to decline to prosecute Mr. Zuma (Duduzane), and Dube’s family deserves that justice is served,” Nel said.
During his 36-year career at the NPA, Nel was known for taking on the powerful and politically connected. His biggest scalp was former police chief and Interpol head Jackie Selebi, who was convicted of corruption in 2010.
The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) decided not to prosecute Duduzane after his Porsche 911 sports car plowed into a minivan in Johannesburg in heavy rain, killing Phumzile Dube and critically injuring two, police said at the time.
Attempts to reach Duduzane, who rarely speaks to the media, were unsuccessful.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Lagos Govt chides Banire for whipping up sentiments
- Access Bank advocates collaborative efforts against cybercrimes
- Journalist found dead in Anambra
- Multiple taxation drowning 95% of SMEs in Nigeria yearly — Elumelu
- How Army Sergeant killed Captain, colleagues over girlfriend
- Osun tackles Dangote over N1.5bn tax evasion
- Ronaldo: I want seven Ballon d’ors and seven children
- Group petitions Buhari over Ekere Tenure as NDDC MD
- Seamless Port operations critical to end Apapa gridlock – Ambode
- Oyegun: Buhari cannot fulfill all his promises
- Babangida facing corruption charges
- NUBIFIE task FG on Labour ministry’s incursion
- NCC investigates circulation of unregistered sim
- Ayeola emerges LASCOFED/CFN President
- Osinbajo reveals how Buhari made him cut his salary in half
- iPhone charger electrocutes teenage girl to death
- Misau: Court grants Idris’ application
- TCN jacks up Nigeria’s electricity transmission
- Alex Iwobi reveals the reason for Eagles unbeaten run
- Patience renews effort to unfreeze accounts as interim forfeiture order expires
- Woman sentenced to prison for stealing Recharge Cards worth N4.2million
- "Don’t Call Me Fake" – Soldier Arrested For Robbery Warns Commissioner of Police
- Before & After Makeup Transformation Of A Beautiful Lady
- Police Arrest Monarch Whose House Was Burnt For Allegedly Killing IMSU Graduate
- Tinubu to Buhari: You have to do more to make Nigeria better
- Ex-SGF Anyim Pius Anyim Arrested By EFCC In Abuja
- US offers Cash Reward for Arrest of Nigerian scammer (pics)
- Rotimi Amaechi Hosts Governors, APC Leaders In His Abuja Residence
- Lady Sets Her Boyfriend's Car On Fire For Dumping Her
- Stock Pricelist: 16.11.17
- Wife seeks divorce over husband’s inability to fulfil sexual obligation
- Why Senate, House of Reps choose Buhari’s creditworthiness amidst rising debt profile
- N239m Military Pension thief: Court grants suspects bail
- 15 killed in Lagos multiple accidents
- 4 Surprising Tricks You Probably Didn’t Know About Flying
- DSS Seeks "Out of Court" Settlement After Detaining Pastor For 8 Months
- "I Kidnapped My Girlfriend To Raise Money For Our Wedding" – Man Confesses
- Buhari Made Me To Take Salary Cut, says Osinbajo
- Patience Jonathan Urges Court: Release My Money
- My Coach Told Me To Ignore Nigeria – Brian Idowu