By Richards Adeniyi
Proving a breakdown of the seizures, he stated that in 2015, some 1,917 vehicles were seized with duty paid value of N3.856bn; while 1,483 others valued at N2.683bn were seized in 2016.
He noted that so far this year, 265 vehicles had been seized with duty paid value of N6.625bn, adding that the high value recorded this year was because most of the vehicles were of high worth, adding that 15 bulletproof vehicles were among those already seized this year.
Ali said 18 vehicles were seized in Abuja recently for the failure of the importers to pay the appropriate duty, adding that 13 of them were bulletproof automobiles, while 10 were discovered to have no Customs papers after investigation.
He decried the menace of smuggling and noted that Nigeria was importing about 70 per cent of all it needs, adding that 45 per cent of all imported goods in the country were smuggled.
Ali stated that the four containers carrying arms and intercepted this year were concealed with many cases of under declaration and diversion of imported goods.
“Over 85 per cent of traders are not trustworthy as they falsify documents, except for about five per cent of them who can be trusted and often have their goods cleared within 48 hours,” he said.
On the challenges confronting the NCS in fighting smuggling, the Customs boss said the service had lost three officers this year.
He, however, stated that the agency was being sanitised as most of the personnel were no more corrupt, adding, “Ninety per cent of our officers are now imbibing the culture of doing the right thing.”
He urged members of the public to help report corrupt officers so that the 10 per cent corrupt ones could be fished out, while asking traders to stop inducing Customs officers to fast-track the clearance process of their goods.
Leave a comment
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- PDP prepares for upsets in 2019 Presidential race
- Ayade, APC at War over seized imported rice
- IBB not happy with Wike, PDP
- Father of 2 dies in SARS custody
- You’re a ‘big joke’, Fayemi tells Fayose
- FG insists vendors to MDAs display TINs on invoices
- Obasanjo successfully completes his PhD at NOUN
- Face of Woman Caught for Impersonating President Buhari's Wife
- Patience Jonathan blocks EFCC’s move to seize fortune
- Osinbajo faults Ortom’s testimony on Jan. 1 attack warning
- Messi closes in on Ronaldo’s record
- Gas explosions kill six in Magodo, Lagos
- Falana, student activists embarrassed Ozhekhome at late Fawehinmi lecture
- Lawmaker dies while held hostage for N100 million
- Suspected Ritualist Who Pretends To Be A Mad Man Caught With Charms In Lago
- EFCC To Seize Another N7.35bn From Patience Jonathan
- Woman Arrested For Impersonating Aisha Buhari
- Germany Pays People In The Country To Use Electricity
- Beautiful Lady Gets Stuck With Married Man During S*x
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 6 Best Tips To Improve Your Networking Skills
- Court Freezes Lagos Lawyer’s Account Over N40m Fraud
- Why Nigeria’s Economy Will Be Better In 2018
- Mike Ozekhome mobbed at Gani Fawehinmi lecture for ‘defending corrupt politicians’
- Ekiti sanctions Fayemi for 10 years
- Buhari begging for leniency on behalf of Fulani herdsmen
- Lagos arrests 30 cart pushers for dumping refuse on road medians
- “How I married at 19 to a man that now sleeps with our daughter, her sister”
- Nollywood star turns gardener in USA
- Genevieve replaces Funke Akindele on the cast list of Avengers
- Benue leaders dare Buhari on herdsmen colonies
- We have witnessed so much bloodshed – IBB
- Ambode urges Nigerians to embrace dialogue in conflict resolution
- Nigeria’s paddy rice production jumps from 5mmt to 17mmt in 2 years plus — Ogbeh
- Nigeria has no business in OIC – Prophet Alao
- Aero Contractors’ MRO facility can make the difference for W’Africa — Balami
- Lagos lawmaker rewards 324 brilliant students
- Beautiful Photos of Bayelsa Governor's Quadruplets As They Turn A Year Older
- FG says Islamic loan finances trillions of construction projects across Nigeria
- Amaechi in tears at Omoku