The senate committee on Monday summoned the managing directors of seven banks over the freezing of the accounts of former first lady, patience Jonathan.
The banks, zenith bank, first bank, Ecobank, fidelity, Stanbic- IBTC , Diamond and Skye banks were summoned by the senate committee on ethics, privileges and public petitions headed By Senator Sam Anyanwu at the hearing of a petition by the former first lady.
In the petition brought on behalf of Mrs. Jonathan by Granville Abibo (SAN) she had complained that both the economic and financial crimes commission, EFCC and the national drug law enforcement agency, NDLEA have at different times " unleashed terror, dehumanizing, degrading and despicable treatment," on herself "and her blood relations without justification.
The accounts in question in which the former first lady's funds are trapped include that of companies Pluto property and investment company limited, Seagate property development investment company and Transocean property and investment ltd.
Also, the account of her non- governmental organisation, the women for change development initiative and aruera foundation as well as finchley top homes ltd and the former first lady's salary account were frozen the senators were told.
"The accounts of her siblings, Innocent Nyegerefaka, Mohammed Oba and Esther Oba have all been frozen by EFCC without a court order, all because they are blood relations of dame Patience Jonathan," the petition further read.
Chairman of the committee, Senator Sam Anyanwu who issued the summon insisted that the managing directors must appear in person as no representative would be accepted.
But acting executive chairman of the economic and financial crimes commission, EFCC, Ibrahim Magu was however absent from the hearing. In a letter sent to the committee, the agency said Magu was out of the country and would be returning on Tuesday. The committee therefore set Wednesday, 11th of October for Magu's appearance.
This is as patience Jonathan’s counsel informed the committee that they have resolved their differences with the national drug law enforcement agency, NDLEA and asked to strike NDLEA off the petition before the senate.
Counsel to patience Jonathan, Charles Ogboli while speaking before the committee said that the former first lady's accounts and those of her relatives were frozen without any court order by the EFCC, adding that this has resulted in the death of Lazarus Eware, brother to patience Jonathan.
He said: " the immediate elder brother to patience Jonathan, Lazarus Eware died as a result of the unfortunate maltreatment of him by the economic and financial crimes commission as he could no longer cope in the face of this repeated humiliation terror attack and financial handicap.
"he could no longer meet up with the responsibilities of his family, including children's school fees and medical bills.
" as we speak, his lifeless body is still lying in a mortuary yet to be buried. The only offence said to have been committed by him is that he is the elder brother to dame patience Jonathan."
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 14yrs Old Girl Assumes Office As Governor of Abia State
- AMCON discredits media stories on Grant Properties Limited
- Entertainment 2017: Month by month epilogue
- SEC pledges commitment to Industrial Harmony
- Chelsea set to face Barcelona after Champions League last 16 draw
- Messi equals Gerd Muller goal record
- Gareth Bale agrees terms over a possible Madrid exit
- Champions league stats between Chelsea and Barcelona that will annoy Lionel Messi
- Accord traditional rulers constitutional regards – Lagos lawmaker
- Okorocha Says 89 Percent of Nigerians Are Unhappy
- SOAR TO SUCCESS with Pastor Olu Famous
- Atiku warns Secondus, others
- 9mobile may get new owner in January
- 2019: Okorocha rips into Tinubu
- Wizkid, Davido, Kenny Blaq, Nancy Isime, others are winners at The Future Awards Africa 2017
- Libyan gun-nuts shoot Nigerian to test firearms
- Prices of food items drop at major markets
- Angry baale knocks wife dead
- Lagos Baale Crushes His Wife To Death With Jeep
- Buhari doesn’t understand how to run government –Agbakoba
- Woman Allegedly Killed By Banker Husband Buried In Lagos
- Police Rescue Three Stolen Babies, Arrest Six Women
- Fresh crisis rocks PDP over Secondus emergence
- Airtel, Glo top bid for 9mobile acquisition
- 577 firms indicate interest for NNPC’s oil, no-oil assets
- Shell bags Aret Adams Award for Excellence
- Heritage Bank, Generation Next prepares 1, 500 pupils for leadership roles
- Weststar Associates re-strategises as Benz passes 2m global sales
- Senate Holds Public Hearing On Job Creation Today
- Two Nigerians Invent Generator That Runs Without Fuel, Gas
- Atiku’s Exit, Not Good For APC – Okorocha
- Robbers Escaping With Snatched Car Involved In Accident
- Six Proven Tips To Arrange Your Financial Life
- Beautiful Lady Declared Wanted By EFCC... Exposed By Her Ex-Classmate
- How To Get More Blessings With Less of Yourself and More of The Lord
- VP Osinbajo's Clarion Call For The Rebirth of A New Nigeria
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Buhari Visits His Farm In Daura To Check On His Cows
- Okorocha Gives Best Graduating Student N500,000
- PDP Chairman: Uche Secondus Wins [Full List of Winners]