The Nigerian Senate, on Tuesday, said the appointment of Dr. Mrs Helen Nyitse as Registrar, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi was
done in violation of the principles of federal character.
In a report of the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petition presented by its Chairman, Senator Samuel Anyanwu, the upper
legislative chamber also directed that the Federal Character Commission (FCC) should ensure that the principles of federal
character is duly followed in subsequent appointments of principal officers of the institution.
This was sequel to a petition submitted by the Opiatoha K’Idoma, foremost socio-cultural group of the Idoma people of Benue State,
which was laid on the floor of the Senate on Thursday, 3rd November, 2016.
The petition which was signed by Chief Adoka Adaji on behalf of the group, had accused the Federal Character Commission of been
compromised in the appointment of Nyitse.
It argued that, as at the time of appointing the Registrar, the Vice Chancellor, the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academics) and the Bursar of
the institution were all Tivs, saying, giving approval for the appointment of Nyitse, another Tiv woman as the Registrar was a pure
negation of the extant laws.
The group said, since the inception of the institution, “it has had five (5) Vice Chancellors in all, all of whom have been fromTiv, and
out of eight (8) Registrars the school has had since inception, five (5) were from Tiv tribe, two (2) from Idoma and one (1) Yoruba”.
However, the Chairman of the Federal Character Commission, Dr Shetima Bukar Abba, during his defence, told the Senate that the commission
initially denied issuing a certificate of compliance to the University for the appointment of Mrs Nyitse, as three principal officers were
already from the Tiv natiion.
He said that, the pressures from top Benue politicians made the Commission to reverse its decision, with the promise that no Tiv
person would apply for the position of the Vice Chancellor which would be vacant this month.
The Senate, however, condemned the waiver given to the institution by the commission which led to the appointment of Nyitse.
A mild drama occurred when, Senator Tijani Yahaya Kaura (Zamfara North), raised strong contribution in support of Senator James Manager
(Delta South), that the appointment of Mrs Nyitse be reversed as it didn’t follow the principles of federal character.
His position got overwhelming voice supports from other Senators but it was surprisingly overruled by the Senate President, Bukola Saraki.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- How fraudsters impersonated Ambode, attempted to defraud LASG
- Customer drags Diamond Bank to court over N2.5m fraud
- Dogara says Buhari betrays legislators, laments killing in Benue, others
- Davido prepares for Igbo wedding
- A moment with Mercy Johnson, husband
- Linda Ikeji has a new problem
- PDP prepares for upsets in 2019 Presidential race
- Ayade, APC at War over seized imported rice
- IBB not happy with Wike, PDP
- Father of 2 dies in SARS custody
- You’re a ‘big joke’, Fayemi tells Fayose
- FG insists vendors to MDAs display TINs on invoices
- Obasanjo successfully completes his PhD at NOUN
- Face of Woman Caught for Impersonating President Buhari's Wife
- Patience Jonathan blocks EFCC’s move to seize fortune
- Osinbajo faults Ortom’s testimony on Jan. 1 attack warning
- Messi closes in on Ronaldo’s record
- Gas explosions kill six in Magodo, Lagos
- Falana, student activists embarrassed Ozhekhome at late Fawehinmi lecture
- Lawmaker dies while held hostage for N100 million
- Suspected Ritualist Who Pretends To Be A Mad Man Caught With Charms In Lago
- EFCC To Seize Another N7.35bn From Patience Jonathan
- Woman Arrested For Impersonating Aisha Buhari
- Germany Pays People In The Country To Use Electricity
- Beautiful Lady Gets Stuck With Married Man During S*x
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 6 Best Tips To Improve Your Networking Skills
- Court Freezes Lagos Lawyer’s Account Over N40m Fraud
- Why Nigeria’s Economy Will Be Better In 2018
- Mike Ozekhome mobbed at Gani Fawehinmi lecture for ‘defending corrupt politicians’
- Ekiti sanctions Fayemi for 10 years
- Buhari begging for leniency on behalf of Fulani herdsmen
- Lagos arrests 30 cart pushers for dumping refuse on road medians
- “How I married at 19 to a man that now sleeps with our daughter, her sister”
- Nollywood star turns gardener in USA
- Genevieve replaces Funke Akindele on the cast list of Avengers
- Benue leaders dare Buhari on herdsmen colonies
- We have witnessed so much bloodshed – IBB
- Ambode urges Nigerians to embrace dialogue in conflict resolution
- Nigeria’s paddy rice production jumps from 5mmt to 17mmt in 2 years plus — Ogbeh